Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Having McDavid & McDonagh would have been too confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Bud they have 8 years contracts.

A win now mentality means we might have 1-2 years of good hockey and back to crap hockey. Which means they are gone at the end of their contracts guarenteed.

If in years 6-8 of McDavids contract we are winning and in playoffs he won't remember years 3 and 4

they have contracts for 8 years doesn't mean they will continue to put up with this trash for 8 years. Not unheard for superstars to request trades for personal reasons

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
We have the best player in the world, and you guys are talking about having a 5 year plan now???? this team has been trash since 06. That's 13 years. if we don't have a win now mentality we wont have player slike draisaitl and mcdavid in 5 years

What's your blueprint for "win now?" I'm all ears.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
they have contracts for 8 years doesn't mean they will continue to put up with this trash for 8 years. Not unheard for superstars to request trades for personal reasons
True but the team needs sustained success.

The roster needs...
- 2 top 6 wingers
- Top 4 puck moving defender
- 3rd line center or a 3rd top 6 winger

We do not have the capspace to acquire those. If we spend our assets moving out bad contracts then we will have the capspace but not the actual assets to get them in a trade.

We rush this now, have more cap issues in a couple years and be the old Calgary flames. Good enough to squeek into playoffs but not good enough to make it past the first round.

This team can't have that, we need to build to be a constant threat. You don't do that by trying to win now when you can't even make the playoffs

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We have the best player in the world, and you guys are talking about having a 5 year plan now???? this team has been trash since 06. That's 13 years. if we don't have a win now mentality we wont have player slike draisaitl and mcdavid in 5 years

We are tight against the cap while having minimal support around McDavid. We also don't have much in the cupboards for the future. In order to be a contender we are going to have to focus on getting rid of some bad contracts while focusing on drafting and development. There is no "win now" formula for this club, no matter how many trades you make.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
For sure, but we both know he’s not doing that. Waiving is somewhat realistic seeing that it’s Seattle and the odds of him being selected are minimal.

I think you look at paying Seattle a pick to make sure they pick him. At that point he'll have just three years left on his deal, which will be useful for a team that will need to reach the cap floor (the cap could hit $90M by then).

Reactions: Cypress

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We won't make the playoffs next year with the current roster. If you draft and let prospects "ripen", then its likely a 3 year process to undo what PC did and get us back into the playoffs. If that's the strategy then I think you have keep the first pick and sacrifice the next couple/few of years. Not sure that'll go over well with season ticket holders and luxury box renters. That also means RNH, Larsson and Russell are UFAs or near UFAs. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm not saying your wrong. If the plan is to be patient and suffer through PCs mess and hope we can make the playoffs as a WC, while waiting on prospects and draft picks. That's one way to go. But lets not get angry when the team still isn't a playoff team in 2020 or 2021.

We still have a shot at the playoffs this year, it all depends on our goaltending. If Koskinen plays like he did to start the season then we get in. This off season we should be looking at small, smart moves to add to what we already have as well as subtracting the dead weight. We have 3 excellent centers and 3 good defenders, we add to that and stay healthy then getting into the playoffs isn't unrealistic next season or this season.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
Am I the only one that would prefer to keep Reider? We still have his RFA rights.

Classic example of a player having a career worst season due to a low (in this case literally zero) shooting percentage.

There are a lot of posters on this board that are constantly complaining about trading players in these circumstances / suggesting we look for players like this on other teams to bring in.

He's been a consistent 10-15 goal player for 4 seasons up until now. He's been basically the perfect third line winger over his career, and can step into the top 6 in emergencies. If we don't re-sign him, we are going to have to find a replacement.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Am I the only one that would prefer to keep Reider? We still have his RFA rights.

Classic example of a player having a career worst season due to a low (in this case literally zero) shooting percentage.

There are a lot of posters on this board that are constantly complaining about trading players in these circumstances / suggesting we look for players like this on other teams to bring in.

He's been a consistent 10-15 goal player for 4 seasons up until now. He's been basically the perfect third line winger over his career, and can step into the top 6 in emergencies.
Problem with Reider is you have to give him 2mil again. He hit a downturn in his career last year as well, some saying he didn't even look to be an NHLer in LA.

Now if you could get him for 1mil I'd be all over it, but him making 2mil and not doing a lot offensively and being apart of a bottom 5 PK isn't enough.

Reactions: The Nuge

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
True but the team needs sustained success.

- 3rd line center or a 3rd top 6 winger
This really continues to sting. We had that already and let him go in what was probably PC's worse move of the year

It would be one thing if Spooner could've at least played center, but no it was a move that forced the team to play Brodizak or Khaira as 3C. Khaira at C hadn't worked yet, but we decided to take one of the few bright spots and force him into a position that he couldn't succeed.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
Problem with Reider is you have to give him 2mil again. He hit a downturn in his career last year as well, some saying he didn't even look to be an NHLer in LA.

Now if you could get him for 1mil I'd be all over it, but him making 2mil and not doing a lot offensively and being apart of a bottom 5 PK isn't enough.

To me, $2M for a player who in the four seasons before this was a consistent 10-15 goal scorer is pretty reasonable. For reference, he makes $50K more than we currently pay Kassian.

Reactions: space321

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think you look at paying Seattle a pick to make sure they pick him. At that point he'll have just three years left on his deal, which will be useful for a team that will need to reach the cap floor (the cap could hit $90M by then).

No more giving out picks to correct our mistakes. Enough of that crap. Ride it out. Try to get the most out of him in a limited but realistic role. If you get really lucky, he may have enough value in a couple years to move him. In the meantime, hopefully he can provide some value, limited as it may be, to this club.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
This really continues to sting. We had that already and let him go in what was probably PC's worse move of the year

It would be one thing if Spooner could've at least played center, but no it was a move that forced the team to play Brodizak or Khaira as 3C. Khaira at C hadn't worked yet, but we decided to take one of the few bright spots and force him into a position that he couldn't succeed.

Chiasson - McDavid - Drai
Khaira - Nuge - Pulju
Caggiula - Strome - Reider
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian

Woud actually have been a half decent line up. Add a legit top 6 winger to the group and I think most fans would have been happy.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No more giving out picks to correct our mistakes. Enough of that crap. Ride it out. Try to get the most out of him in a limited but realistic role. If you get really lucky, he may have enough value in a couple years to move him. In the meantime, hopefully he can provide some value, limited as it may be, to this club.

Ride it out? He's got four more ****ing years left! A 2nd round pick is a small price to pay to be shot of him

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

He's been a consistent 10-15 goal player for 4 seasons up until now. He's been basically the perfect third line winger over his career, and can step into the top 6 in emergencies. If we don't re-sign him, we are going to have to find a replacement.

A replacement for zero goals? Shouldn't be too hard to do. Unless he's willing to sign for league minimum (which he should given what has transpired this year), there is no way I'd want him back. If somebody else wants to give him 2 mill/plus, they can have him. Bye, bye.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
To me, $2M for a player who in the four seasons before this was a consistent 10-15 goal scorer is pretty reasonable. For reference, he makes $50K more than we currently pay Kassian.
Kassian plays PK and is physical. Rather him than Reider

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Chiasson - McDavid - Drai
Khaira - Nuge - Pulju
Caggiula - Strome - Reider
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian

Woud actually have been a half decent line up. Add a legit top 6 winger to the group and I think most fans would have been happy.
Half ass competitive at the very least

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ride it out? He's got four more ****ing years left! A 2nd round pick is a small price to pay to be shot of him
You're likely going to need more than a 2nd round pick to move him at this time. You're going to need to accept the fact that we are in a deep, deep hole with him, and we have little choice. No team in their right mind is going to take on that contract for a 2nd rounder at this point.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005

I dunno. To me, he's been trending downwards and is such a peripheral player, and does so little to actually impact a game I'd be more than happy to get rid of him.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I'll throw these out there

I saw a Flyers fan before say Patrick plus for Nuge. Patrick plus what for Nuge? What would it take for you to be interested, seems like it could be a good trade for the long run and creates some short term cap space.

Alternatively what do you think it would take to get Coots?

Obviously they'd have to take Manning or Spooner to make the cap work.

Real good contract for 3 years after this one and would give you some flexibility to stack the top two lines or if you can improve the wings have options for 3 good lines.

Crude

Rafters 94
Jul 15, 2007
Edmonton
A replacement for zero goals? Shouldn't be too hard to do. Unless he's willing to sign for league minimum (which he should given what has transpired this year), there is no way I'd want him back. If somebody else wants to give him 2 mill/plus, they can have him. Bye, bye.

Again, this misses the whole point of the argument. He's a career 9 - 10% shooter. Consistently has put up 10-15 goals.

Are you implying that he will be a 0% shooter the rest of his career? He will never score a goal again?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
If I was GM, Id really take a look at acquiring Laine. He isn't playing well rn, and the Jets are in a tough spot with the cap, and deciding what kind of contract he'd deserve. He'd be lethal on the PP, and I think he'd mesh well with Draisaitl on the 2nd line.

They need a strong young 2C, LHD, and picks/prospects. Would they accept RNH + Russell + 2019 1st + another piece

Our top 6 long term would look like:

XXX-McDavid-Yamamoto
Puljujarvi-Draisaitl-Laine

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'll throw these out there

I saw a Flyers fan before say Patrick plus for Nuge. Patrick plus what for Nuge? What would it take for you to be interested, seems like it could be a good trade for the long run and creates some short term cap space.

Alternatively what do you think it would take to get Coots?

Obviously they'd have to take Manning or Spooner to make the cap work.

Real good contract for 3 years after this one and would give you some flexibility to stack the top two lines or if you can improve the wings have options for 3 good lines.
I only want Patrick if the cost is JP or KY. For Nuge we need a legit proven player.

Couts I have no idea. He has such a nice contract and brings a lot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There was someone on one of the local shows last week talking about how we took a shot on Reider. And while on paper it made a lot of sense, there was a reason LA was letting him go for nothing and why other teams passed on him.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I only want Patrick if the cost is JP or KY. For Nuge we need a legit proven player.

Couts I have no idea. He has such a nice contract and brings a lot.

I can't imagine they'd want to swap JP for Patrick.

I wounder what it would take added to JP to get Coots. I wouldn't hesitate to include him in that kind of deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad