Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Having McDavid & McDonagh would have been too confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
My guess for Oilers shedding salary:
- Reider for a very low pick (I think he can hold value to a playoff team for their bottom six, especially his penalty killing) - 2 mil
- Petrovic for a low pick (Edmonton would be eating the bullet on the previous trade but dumping cap) - 1.95 mil
- Talbot for a 2nd + B prospect (Teams always need goal tending) - 4.17 mil

Those are who I expect to be traded. If it was up to me I would also trade Chiasson because his value is not going to be any higher than it is now.
That being said, its on par with Edm's management style to keep him and resign him to more than what he is worth then he struggles next year...

That gives Edmonton 8 mil this season and the fact that we haven't heard anything on Sekera makes me feel like this might be a Ference situation where he is going to ride out the LTIR for the rest of his days.

I personally wouldn't trade for any rentals, but I might still be a buyer and target guys like Athanasiou who are young and have term.

Reactions: 780il

DingerMcSlapshot

Dec 1, 2017
My guess for Oilers shedding salary:
- Reider for a very low pick (I think he can hold value to a playoff team for their bottom six, especially his penalty killing) - 2 mil
- Petrovic for a low pick (Edmonton would be eating the bullet on the previous trade but dumping cap) - 1.95 mil
- Talbot for a 2nd + B prospect (Teams always need goal tending) - 4.17 mil

Those are who I expect to be traded. If it was up to me I would also trade Chiasson because his value is not going to be any higher than it is now.
That being said, its on par with Edm's management style to keep him and resign him to more than what he is worth then he struggles next year...

That gives Edmonton 8 mil this season and the fact that we haven't heard anything on Sekera makes me feel like this might be a Ference situation where he is going to ride out the LTIR for the rest of his days.

I personally wouldn't trade for any rentals, but I might still be a buyer and target guys like Athanasiou who are young and have term.
Talbot for a second or third rounder that is the only tradable player in your post. Imho

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I wonder what it would cost for Huberdeau to be an Oiler.

Pulju+Talbot+? Fellow Finnish Barkov could untap Pulju's potential

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I just think trying to do too much with the roster will end up getting us in more trouble. Theres some hindsight that if Chiarelli had done basically nothing that this team would be better than it is.

I just dont think trading away draft picks for players is a viable solution. The team has to draft and develop. Everyone knows it but we always want quick fixes.

We basically need to do three things:

1) Cap management - Try your hardest to move Lucic and Sekera contracts. Try to move out Manning, Spooner, etc contracts. These are short term contracts so its not a huge deal if you cant move them. Dont buy out 1 year contracts. This team has so many holes, need cap space to fill it. Trading Cagguila for a more expensive Manning was so stupid.

2) Draft and Develop. Quit trading aways picks especially though Rounds 1-3. But once again they traded a third for Petrovic who doesnt even help this team. I mean ... such poor decisions are/were made by management.

3) Need to find good players at decent prices. Take a chance on a guy with lesser value. Find diamonds in the rough in free agency. Find guys who need a change of scenery. This is a harder task to complete, management really needs to make their money here. A good sport science / analytics department would help here. From what we have seen in the past, this teams pro scouting is terrible, which goes far beyond Chiarelli.

Nicholson in his presser said that decisions were made as a group, which is pretty obvious when it comes to anything in business. Chiarelli had the last say (supposively) but it just seems to me that the whole group is full of poor decision makers. I also just think they dont even know what their aim or goal is. The manning and petrovic trades really stand out in this regard. I just think the whole hockey operations group needs to be purged. Pro scouts, amateur scouts, contract admin, cap people, decision makers, have all been terrible.

The problem with this team is that it needs someone who is patient, methodical, creative, focused (with a clear plan) to run hockey operations but with McDavid we cant afford to build for the next 3 years because previous management has done such a poor job.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If the Leafs do move on from Gardiner (I dont know why, but they could). Id be all over him. Hed be such a good player to replace Russell.

Gardiner is pretty criminally underrated. Such a good puck distributor

Reactions: Little Fury

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
had 2 years ago was his normal and ignoring the other 4 seasons (this one included) where he's averaging less than 60 games a year? Or his 132 total games in his 4 developmental years before that?
It's been long enough, he's injury prone. We can't count on him moving forward. If we can get a 2nd pairing right shot that's

Id rather have a #1D that plays 60 games vs a 2nd pairing D that plays 82. Ghost is overrated due to his rookie year. Klefbom for Ghost does nothing. You swap two impactful D... yawn. We need to add impactful D to our roster, not swap them

Jake Gardiner would likely cost a lot less and hes a UFA. Id much rather sign Gardiner for 5.5 and add to our D core. Id replace Sekeras contract with Gardiners (and both are similar ability D). Id then send Russells 4m cap hit into the sun and trade him for futures since I am not payign a bottom pairing guy 4 mil. LD would be Klefbom-Gardiner-UFA, which is stacked. Then Larsson-Nurse-Bear-on RD. Weaker, but leftside makes up for it

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Id rather have a #1D that plays 60 games vs a 2nd pairing D that plays 82. Ghost is overrated due to his rookie year. Klefbom for Ghost does nothing. You swap two impactful D... yawn. We need to add impactful D to our roster, not swap them

Jake Gardiner would likely cost a lot less and hes a UFA. Id much rather sign Gardiner for 5.5 and add to our D core. Id replace Sekeras contract with Gardiners (and both are similar ability D). Id then send Russells 4m cap hit into the sun and trade him for futures since I am not payign a bottom pairing guy 4 mil. LD would be Klefbom-Gardiner-UFA, which is stacked. Then Larsson-Nurse-Bear-on RD. Weaker, but leftside makes up for it

I imagine Gardiner will be coming it around $6 or $7M, but it's doable.

And then trade Nurse for a forward.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
If the Leafs do move on from Gardiner (I dont know why, but they could). Id be all over him. Hed be such a good player to replace Russell.

Gardiner is pretty criminally underrated. Such a good puck distributor
If they move on it is because they simply can't afford him.

They just added 4M to their cap next year with Muzzin having another year on his deal. After they sign both Marner and Matthews this summer, they are going to have to fill quite a few spots with close to replacement level players.

Gardiner likely would cost them a Nylander.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Since it’s the Oilers way, I predict that Koskinen struggles, Talbot gets hot forcing the Oilers to keep him for a run at the playoffs only to fall short and Talbot walks for free in the off-season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Since it’s the Oilers way, I predict that Koskinen struggles, Talbot gets hot forcing the Oilers to keep him for a run at the playoffs only to fall short and Talbot walks for free in the off-season.

I predict Cam Talbot becomes the best free agent signing of 2019. Leading his team to a playoff spot while rocking a .925

Reactions: 8LX7psQ and Faelko

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
well, Talbot is a no-brainer
maybe Russell accepts a trade?
maybe someone is dumb enough to take Manning for free?
Kassian for a 6th round pick
Lucic is a pipe dream
To think we could have any other 6 million + winger flying down the wing pushing the pace instead of Lucic, team becomes a powerhouse instead of a laughing stock. All it takes is that one superstar Winger and everyone gets slotted down 1 position.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Acquiring Ghost would immediately improve the PP. But unfortunately would do little to improve our D overall. Same could be said of Gardiner. Parayko would be a better all around fit but the cost would be way too steep. I can see us being in more of sell/rebuild mode rather than a contender, although if by some small miracle they win a few in a row that may change. IMO I think they sell off Talbot, Russell (really the only tradable assets) for picks and keep their powder dry for the offseason when the market might be more favorable for us and a new GM has time to assess Chia's damage.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Any assets obtained at the deadline should be used to remove some bad contracts. I'd also explore re-signing Reider and Petrovic at lower price points. And try for Burakovsky who I think could fit a top 6 role.

Talbot (50% retention) for 4th rounder
That 4th rounder + Manning for 6th rounder

Chaisson for 4th rounder
Benning for 6th rounder
That 4th and 6th rounder + Spooner for 7th rounder

Re-sign Reider and Petrovic for $1M each

Kassian + 2nd rounder for Burakovsky

Still leaves you with the Lucic and Sekera elephants, but not sure those are movable.
Would also move Koskinen and Broziak if there were any offers without retention or salary coming back.

boxcar65

Sep 24, 2007
Richmond, VA
Don’t get rid of Manning just yet. The first half of this season was an abherrition. He is starting to play better now. Find a decent partner for him and he will be fine.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Don’t get rid of Manning just yet. The first half of this season was an abherrition. He is starting to play better now. Find a decent partner for him and he will be fine.

Or find a D-man who doesn't need to be propped up by his partner and isn't making about a million and a half too much next season.

Reactions: CycloneSweep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino