Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Having McDavid & McDonagh would have been too confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Last thread hit 1k, can be found here.

Burakovsky's QO is $3m. I don't give up anything of value for that guy. Wait until he goes untendered.

Bad year but he has been 0.5 ppg the past two seasons. Worth the gamble IMO, maybe not a second but a 3rd for sure.
Rieder unqualified got 2m on the open market. Burakovsky probably gets ~2.5 anyways

I don’t think anything major happens with the Oilers till the off season mainly because we probably aren’t hiring a GM till then. Burgers said we are retaining assets so all I am anticipating are bad attempts by baby bro Kieth and his >cough cough< right hand man Craig “Special Assistant to The GM” MacTavish at dumping Chias ****ty contracts for puck bags and used sticks.

Off season there is major heavy lifting to be done. Hopefully it’s a new staff doing that lifting and MacTavish and Sutter are shoveling out a barn in Viking.

No way you trade for Burakovsky at this stage. His QO is way too high.

I would do what it takes to get Stone out of Ottawa (with some kind of guarantee he’ll resign)- maybe 2019 (top 3 protected) 1st, Talbot and Petrovic, then try and offload Manning, Spooner, etc. (with lower round picks from this year and next year if necessary) before the TDL.

Then you do a little re-tool, grab buy low guys, keep whoever’s cheapest in the bottom six and go into next season with the aim to shed more cap.

2 years from now hopefully one of Bouchard or Bear are ready, one of Yam or JP (or both) can be top sixers, and one of our newer picks, ala Marody/Benson/McLeod can step into the bottom six as required.

I see similar complaints about Bura's game that were heard about Rieder's. The guy takes weeks off. I'd rather take the risk of getting into a bidding war in UFA than end up with a $3m dud and a lighter draft haul.

The only thing that makes this guy even moderately interesting is that he was McDavid's teammate in junior. He's the last guy who needs help scoring.

New nickname for Bobby N and and a reference from The Office.
Well done. :D

BTW...I would like to see this become a Sutterless team this off season.

I was just watching the Office so I had some inspiration LOL.

Yes! Sutter gone along with his pro scouts Messier Chihocki and tie the concrete block to Howson who also double shifts as a pro scout.

Today it sure seemed like Stauffer, while both interviewing John Shannon and in discussion with a couple heated callers, was dumping on the pro scouts and Sutter while propping up the amateur side and K Gretzky.

Stauffer usually has his finger on the pulse of these things and was telegraphing Chia’s firing for
a couple of weeks. Hopefully they clean house of the pro side. And MacT.

I mean FFS firing MacT right here right now guarantees them a break in the fans perception that the OBC is merely another layer of management and increases STH renewals.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
We are in limbo. Not good enough to sacrifice assets for proven players. Not bad enough to rebuild. It's hopeless.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Imo the main idea for us should be:

-Sell off as much of Chia's trash as you can (Manning, Petrovic, Spooner, Benning, etc)
This includes trying as hard as you can to dump Lucic. I'd be willing to part with Pulju + any future that's not an unprotected 1st or Bouchard to get him out of here. Buyout Sekera if he comes back and plays like ass (very likely). Keep Russel.

-Draft well in the 1st round this summer (Cozen, Byram, Dach, Krebs)

-Trade the 2nd along with prospects and future 2nds as needed for immediate wing help for next season
(Eg. Pulju + 2nd + Bear for Kreider or 2nd + prospect for Coyle/Josh Anderson)

-Sign cheap depth in UFA like Brandon Tanev (3 years x 2.5m) is a perfect example. 20 goal, 35 point guy for the 3rd line, solid defensively, physical.

-Buy low on good young players that have upside that could be had relatively cheap (eg. Bjorkstrand, Milano, Fischer, Perlini)

*Don't shell out important young pieces unless it's a homerun deal, be patient but take the opportunity at a quick fix if it's a good one

If we play this smart, we could be a very good team with a quick 2 year retool. Now it's all on Bobby Burgers and Katz to find the guy that can do it. (Oh dear god we're gonna end up with another Chia/Lowe/MacT aren't we?)

Last edited:

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016

-Sell off as much of Chia's trash as you can (Manning, Petrovic, Spooner, Benning, etc)

-Trade the 2nd along with prospects and future 2nds as needed for immediate wing help for next season
(Eg. Pulju + 2nd + Bear for Kreider or 2nd + prospect for Coyle)

-Sign cheap depth in UFA like Brandon Tanev (3 years x 2.5m) is a perfect example. 20 goal, 35 point guy for the 3rd line, solid defensively, physical.

*Don't shell out important young pieces unless it's a homerun deal, be patient but take the opportunity at a quick fix if it's a good one

I'd rather keep the prospects and picks and keep building the depth. That's going to be the only way to build a contending team right now. These quick fixes without building depth can totally set back a team like crazy.
Look what happened when Chia took over at the beginning he rushed trading picks and players for gambles. Set back the team a few years. You never know if a home run deal will be a home run deal. Some players just don't fit systems.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I'd rather keep the prospects and picks and keep building the depth. That's going to be the only way to build a contending team right now. These quick fixes without building depth can totally set back a team like crazy.
Look what happened when Chia took over at the beginning he rushed trading picks and players for gambles. Set back the team a few years. You never know if a home run deal will be a home run deal. Some players just don't fit systems.
I classify a homerun deal as something like getting a established 1st line winger that's also young (maybe a guy like Kyle Connor) for our 1st this year + a guy like Pulju. If that kind of quick fix is available (they most likely never are) then we take it and run. Or if somehow we could get a guy like Hampus Lindholm for our 1st. Or maybe Ehlers or something. It's very very unlikely that for example a player like that becomes available for a draft pick, but if there is the chance to pull of those deals, we should do them.

A prospect is magic beans after all and we need to show Mcjesus a good team or to all our dismay he's gonna bolt.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

This includes trying as hard as you can to dump Lucic. I'd be willing to part with Pulju + any future that's not an unprotected 1st or Bouchard to get him out of here. Buyout Sekera if he comes back and plays like ass (very likely). Keep Russel.

-Buy low on good young players that have upside that could be had relatively cheap (eg. Bjorkstrand, Milano, Fischer, Perlini)

If we play this smart, we could be a very good team with a quick 2 year retool. Now it's all on Bobby Burgers and Katz to find the guy that can do it. (Oh dear god we're gonna end up with another Chia/Lowe/MacT aren't we?)

No interest in shelling out those types of pieces for a guy like Kreider.

Hopefully they can dump some Chia trash though, Looch you have to wait until the summer. I'd definitely consider Looch for Ryan if they would and he'd waive. You take on a greater cap hit but you get rid of him a year sooner and you get a significantly better player. Aside from that you'd have to pay someone handsomely or retain heavily on Looch to get rid of him.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Here is an example following that template, but with my spin:

Trade Matt Benning for a 5th, and trade Chiasson for a 2nd, (assuming we don't make the playoffs), and next year, package a 5th + Manning for future considerations. Buyout Sekera. (I don't want to part with assets necessary to dump Lucic.)

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Here is an example following that template, but with my spin:

Trade Matt Benning for a 5th, and trade Chiasson for a 2nd, (assuming we don't make the playoffs), and next year, package a 5th + Manning for future considerations. Buyout Sekera. (I don't want to part with assets necessary to dump Lucic.)
Works for me

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
here is a team where we do that, and sign Tanev, Johansson, and McBackup.
(And trade the second that we got from Chiasson for Bjorkstrand)

shed cap - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I'd sign Jensen over Chiarot and put the lines as this:

Khaira - Mcdavid - Drai
Johansson - Nuge - Bjorkstrand
Tanev - Marody - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russel
Jones - Jensen

Koskinen
Mcbackup

Use Pulju + 2nd rounders + b prospects + retention to dump Lucic if possible
Give Yamo and Bear half the year in Bako, make them earn the call up
Give Bouchard the whole year to season and bring him in the next year

Ideally we find a way to dump Lucic with say 1.25m retained + Pulju + Samurukov + 2nd then run with this:

Benson - Mcdavid - Drai
Tanev - Marody - Yamo
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
I'd sign Jensen over Chiarot and put the lines as this:

Khaira - Mcdavid - Drai
Tanev - Marody - Puljujarvi

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Russel
Jones - Jensen

Koskinen
Mcbackup

Use Pulju + 2nd rounders + b prospects + retention to dump Lucic if possible
Give Yamo and Bear half the year in Bako, make them earn the call up
Give Bouchard the whole year to season and bring him in the next year

Ideally we find a way to dump Lucic with say 1.25m retained + Pulju + Samurukov + 2nd then run with this:

Benson - Mcdavid - Drai
Tanev - Marody - Yamo
Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Yeah, thats probably better lines, although I wouldn't package Pulju + 2nd + Samurakov just to get rid of Luc.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Yeah, thats probably better lines, although I wouldn't package Pulju + 2nd + Samurakov just to get rid of Luc.
I would in a heartbeat

Lucic is an absolute boat anchor of a contract and needs to be protected in the expansion draft. Pulju is a major project and probably will bust if we keep him. Sell off the asset declining in value now before we get another Yak situation. Samurukov probably will only be a 5/6d if he ever cracks the NHL and a 2nd rounder barely ever becomes more than a 3rd/4th liner (with our drafting it's usually an ECHL'er).

It's well worth it imo to package that stuff and clear up a lot of valuable cap space and a expansion draft protection slot.

All those pieces most likely don't become anything with us anyway

Now this all depends on how you view Jesse. My belief in him is very low rn and I think he wont be much here in Edmonton (or anywhere for that matter) the hockey IQ isn't there. As much I want him to succeed I think we've f***ed up another high draft pick. I think we need to use whatever value he has around the league to dump Lucic. If that can't be done then I'll keep him

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
I would in a heartbeat

Lucic is an absolute boat anchor of a contract and needs to be protected in the expansion draft. Pulju is a major project and probably will bust if we keep him. Sell off the asset declining in value now before we get another Yak situation. Samurukov probably will only be a 5/6d if he ever cracks the NHL and a 2nd rounder barely ever becomes more than a 3rd/4th liner (with our drafting it's usually an ECHL'er).

It's well worth it imo to package that stuff and clear up a lot of valuable cap space and a expansion draft protection slot.

All those pieces most likely don't become anything with us anyway

Maybe, although I would definitely not retain on Lucic.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Hypothetically,

Hire McCrimmon as the next GM

Edit: Trade for McDonagh from Tampa (Thanks for Correction 78Oil)and try to get LW Cody McLeod from Rangers

Try to get Ryan McLeod's older brother Michael McLeod from New Jersey

Trade for Boston's Dman, McAvoy

Call up Carolina and Trade for goaltender McElhinney, and forwards McGinn and McKegg

Trade one of our up and coming D for Detroit's Jared McIsaac

And try to get Jared McCann from Florida

McCrimmon's Roster

RNH - McDavid - Draisaitl

C. McLeod - M.McLeod - Puljujarvi

McCann - R.McLeod - Yamamoto

Khaira - McGinn - McKegg

Lucic

Klefbom - Larsson

McDonagh - McAvoy

Jones - McIssac

Nurse

Koskinen
McElhinney

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Hypothetically,

Revisit the NY rumor and trade for McDonagh and try to get LW Cody McLeod in package

Call up Carolina and Trade for goaltender McElhinney, and forwards McGinn and McKegg

McCrimmon's Roster

Khaira - McGinn - McKegg

Lucic

Klefbom - Larsson

McDonagh - McAvoy

Jones - McIssac

Nurse

Koskinen
McElhinney
Edit: took the post seriously feel like an idiot lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Llamamoto

Sep 5, 2018
Hypothetically,

Revisit the NY rumor and trade for McDonagh and try to get LW Cody McLeod in package

McCrimmon's Roster

Khaira - McGinn - McKegg

Lucic

Klefbom - Larsson

McDonagh - McAvoy

Jones - McIssac

Nurse

Koskinen
McElhinney

This is a joke...

right?

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Lol wut...

McDonagh traded to Tampa already

Cody McLeod is bad, really really bad. Not an NHL'er, why tf is he on your 2nd line?

Micheal McLeod sucks. Bad pick by the Devils

No way Boston gives up McAvoy for anything short of Draisaitl

You could just sign Mcbackup in the summer, McGinn and Mckegg are dime a dozen bottom 6ers

McIsaac isn't very good either. Ill keep our own d prospects

Jared McCann I like for the 3c spot. Bear + 2nd + Spooner for him

That post is a mess, lay off the bath salts bud

Easy dude, this was just hypothetical and in good nature. Thanks for the correction though!

Reactions: 780il

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The fact is we still have no true offensive defenseman. I think our best option is to try to build a solid group of wingers for cheap (buy low options as @780il said, guys like Bjorkstrand, Panik, etc) and get an offensive defenseman with the few assets we have. If you look at the Sharks or Predators teams their forward groups are actually pretty mediocre. Its their defensemen that bring out the most in them. A team following that would be very successful imo:

Panik - McDavid - Draisaitl
Bjorkstrand - Nuge - Pulju
Khaira - Marody - Tanev

Klefbom - Offensive D-man from 2019 1st + other assets
Nurse - Larsson
Manning - Russell

As for Lucic being traded, that would be amazing but its just not happening. There's not a single circumstance where I see him accepting a trade to a team that can afford him. He'll want to go to a contender and pretty much every contending team is tight on cap. Even if a team is willing to take him on, I don't see us parting with the assets it will take to get rid of him. It will also mean the OBC admitting they made a mistake, and we all know how unlikely they are to do that.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Hypothetically,

Edit: Trade for McDonagh from Tampa (Thanks for Correction 78Oil)and try to get LW Cody McLeod from Rangers

McCrimmon's Roster

Khaira - McGinn - McKegg

Lucic

Klefbom - Larsson

McDonagh - McAvoy

Jones - McIssac

Nurse

Koskinen
McElhinney

:sarcasm:
And then draft Connor McMichael with our 2019 1st.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
CycloneSweep said:
Oilers wouldn't.

McBooya42 said:
Walk away from the keyboard....trust me

oXo Cube said:
I wonder if you're secretly a Flyers fan

McHockeyfan91 said:
You definitely took a pill alright

Didn't get a chance to respond to the lynch-mob after I suggested Klefbom for Gostisbehere in the last thread.

Just wondering why it sounds so far fetched.

Since joining the league 3 and a half seasons ago, Gostisbehere has
- played 631 minutes more than Klefbom
- has 18 more goals (42 to 24)
- has 84(!) more points (basically double)
- is right handed to Klefbom's LH

Or re we just pretending that the year he had 2 years ago was his normal and ignoring the other 4 seasons (this one included) where he's averaging less than 60 games a year? Or his 132 total games in his 4 developmental years before that?
It's been long enough, he's injury prone. We can't count on him moving forward. If we can get a 2nd pairing right shot that's one of the best PP QBs in the league, I don't see what's so lobsided about it that the replies to my initial proposal were so hyperbolic.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Didn't get a chance to respond to the lynch-mob after I suggested Klefbom for Gostisbehere in the last thread.

Just wondering why it sounds so far fetched.

Since joining the league 3 and a half seasons ago, Gostisbehere has
- played 631 minutes more than Klefbom
- has 18 more goals (42 to 24)
- has 84(!) more points (basically double)
- is right handed to Klefbom's LH

Or aslre we just pretending that year he had 2 years ago was his normal and ignoring the other 4 seasons (this one included) where he's averaging less than 60 games a year?
It's been long enough, he's injury prone. We can't count on him moving forward. If we can get a 2nd pairing right shot that's one of the best PP QBs in the league, I don't see what's so lobsided about it that the replies to my initial proposal were so hyperbolic.
Gostisbehere is a left shot

Although he can play the right side

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->