Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Having McDavid & McDonagh would have been too confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
The fact is we still have no true offensive defenseman. I think our best option is to try to build a solid group of wingers for cheap (buy low options as @780il said, guys like Bjorkstrand, Panik, etc) and get an offensive defenseman with the few assets we have. If you look at the Sharks or Predators teams their forward groups are actually pretty mediocre. Its their defensemen that bring out the most in them. A team following that would be very successful imo:

Panik - McDavid - Draisaitl
Bjorkstrand - Nuge - Pulju
Khaira - Marody - Tanev
Lucic - Brodziak - Kassian

Klefbom - Offensive D-man from 2019 1st + other assets
Nurse - Larsson
Manning - Russell

As for Lucic being traded, that would be amazing but its just not happening. There's not a single circumstance where I see him accepting a trade to a team that can afford him. He'll want to go to a contender and pretty much every contending team is tight on cap. Even if a team is willing to take him on, I don't see us parting with the assets it will take to get rid of him. It will also mean the OBC admitting they made a mistake, and we all know how unlikely they are to do that.

Thats another option. I made a capfriendly team with basically the same formula of shed cap, bring in buy-low wingers, and sign solid 3rd line veterans. If nobody great is at our pick, I might trade it for an offensive defensemen. Who are some options?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Thats another option. I made a capfriendly team with basically the same formula of shed cap, bring in buy-low wingers, and sign solid 3rd line veterans. If nobody great is at our pick, I might trade it for an offensive defensemen. Who are some options?
Barrie, Spurgeon, and Ghost could probably be had.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think you just have to build around Klefbom-Nurse-Bouchard-Larsson. Maybe Jones is a keeper too.

The next GM shouldn't get himself into a bind overpaying for a D.

The winger depth is what should be the first focus, you have three really good centers and you basically get little to nill advantage out of it on many nights because you have no talent for them to play with.

That's the bigger issue going forward.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Barrie, Spurgeon, and Ghost could probably be had.

Barrie will probably be traded for offensive help. We can't afford to give that up. Spurgeon might be interesting tho. Edmonton boy, right shot.

But our first priority should be shedding cap and bringing in buy-low wingers.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Hypothetically,

Hire McCrimmon as the next GM

Edit: Trade for McDonagh from Tampa (Thanks for Correction 78Oil)and try to get LW Cody McLeod from Rangers

Try to get Ryan McLeod's older brother Michael McLeod from New Jersey

Trade for Boston's Dman, McAvoy

Call up Carolina and Trade for goaltender McElhinney, and forwards McGinn and McKegg

Trade one of our up and coming D for Detroit's Jared McIsaac

And try to get Jared McCann from Florida

McCrimmon's Roster

RNH - McDavid - Draisaitl

C. McLeod - M.McLeod - Puljujarvi

McCann - R.McLeod - Yamamoto

Khaira - McGinn - McKegg

Lucic

Klefbom - Larsson

McDonagh - McAvoy

Jones - McIssac

Nurse

Koskinen
McElhinney

:sarcasm:

I cant believe some took your post seriously.

I love it. We can keep the OBC club intact by giving MacT back his GM job. Then he can rehire TMac to coach again. I'll vote to bring back former Oilers in Marty McSorrely, Kevin McClelland, and Dean McAmmond as assistants to fit right into the 'culture'.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Hard no to Klef for Ghost. Look at out record without him. He's 5th in TOI/GP. Absolute stud. Ghost's offence just doesn't make up for the defensive difference.

Thing is, we're often without him, our record has been bad most of his career.

He's not helping us from the IR. We need top pairing defensemen that can play over 70 games every year.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think you just have to build around Klefbom-Nurse-Bouchard-Larsson. Maybe Jones is a keeper too.

The next GM shouldn't get himself into a bind overpaying for a D.

The winger depth is what should be the first focus, you have three really good centers and you basically get little to nill advantage out of it on many nights because you have no talent for them to play with.

That's the bigger issue going forward.

We've been consistently bottom of the league in goals against. Our top-4 grouping of defencemen hasn't been getting the job done for quite some time. I'd be happy to shake things up with that group if it meant improving the team overall.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We've been consistently bottom of the league in goals against. Our top-4 grouping of defencemen hasn't been getting the job done for quite some time. I'd be happy to shake things up with that group if it meant improving the team overall.

Part of the reason for that is they cash out of D-Men before they hit their prime.

Jeff Petry and Justin Schultz would look pretty decent on the Oilers right now but they keep giving up on these guys before they hit age 26/27/28 which is when a d-man really comes into his own.

It's time to stop "shaking things up" in my view. You have Klefbom, Nurse, Bouchard, Larsson, Jones ... develop that group, stop looking for a shiny new toy every 2 years.

This is never going to be a defensive juggernaut, you have McDavid, build a freaking skill based team around him.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'd only go as far as trying to add a Sekera pre-injury level D to this group (maybe that will actually be Sekera, but I doubt it). A #3 D who can more than hold his own on a 2nd pair.
Start building around:
Klefbom Larsson
Nurse #3
Russell Bouchard
Jones, Bear etc
If Bouchard is ready of course, otherwise put Bear/Jones in his place.

Big no to trading away any of Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse or Bouchard right now. I'd put Russell in that group as well, he only goes if someone his equal or better comes back. Our top 4 D when healthy is decent and there is room to grow for many of them.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Didn't get a chance to respond to the lynch-mob after I suggested Klefbom for Gostisbehere in the last thread.

Just wondering why it sounds so far fetched.

Since joining the league 3 and a half seasons ago, Gostisbehere has
- played 631 minutes more than Klefbom
- has 18 more goals (42 to 24)
- has 84(!) more points (basically double)
- is right handed to Klefbom's LH

Or re we just pretending that the year he had 2 years ago was his normal and ignoring the other 4 seasons (this one included) where he's averaging less than 60 games a year? Or his 132 total games in his 4 developmental years before that?
It's been long enough, he's injury prone. We can't count on him moving forward. If we can get a 2nd pairing right shot that's one of the best PP QBs in the league, I don't see what's so lobsided about it that the replies to my initial proposal were so hyperbolic.

This trade is lopsided. As other have said Ghost is a LHD. But the real problem is defensemen have to also play defense. Ghost would die in a top pairing role. At ES he is best suited to be a #5 right now.

The Oilers have Bear, Bouchard and Persson (who is second in scoring in the SHL again this year and the top scoring defenseman over the last two years combined) as young RH offensive defensemen. They have no one close to replacing Klefbom. Klefbom also has a great contract for a guy who can legitimately play on the top pairing.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Part of the reason for that is they cash out of D-Men before they hit their prime.

Jeff Petry and Justin Schultz would look pretty decent on the Oilers right now but they keep giving up on these guys before they hit age 26/27/28 which is when a d-man really comes into his own.

It's time to stop "shaking things up" in my view. You have Klefbom, Nurse, Bouchard, Larsson, Jones ... develop that group, stop looking for a shiny new toy every 2 years.

This is never going to be a defensive juggernaut, you have McDavid, build a freaking skill based team around him.

The issue isn't that we've been shaking things up too much, it's that we keep downgrading. I've been maintaining that I wouldn't trade any of those players unless it improved the team. Petry was replaced with Sekera, which may have been a win if Sekera hadn't been so unlucky with injuries, and we replaced Schultz with Benning.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
This trade is lopsided. As other have said Ghost is a LHD. But the real problem is defensemen have to also play defense. Ghost would die in a top pairing role. At ES he is best suited to be a #5 right now.

The Oilers have Bear, Bouchard and Persson (who is second in scoring in the SHL again this year and the top scoring defenseman over the last two years combined) as young RH offensive defensemen. They have no one close to replacing Klefbom. Klefbom also has a great contract for a guy who can legitimately play on the top pairing.

I was never suggesting having him on our top pairing. Was imagining Nurse and Larsson to handle the tough competition and Ghost with Russell as the other top 4 pairing, with the intention of acquiring a better top-4 dman than Russell.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I was never suggesting having him on our top pairing. Was imagining Nurse and Larsson to handle the tough competition and Ghost with Russell as the other top 4 pairing, with the intention of acquiring a better top-4 dman than Russell.

Russell is probably not the guy to pair him with. Ghost's problem is when the puck is in his own end which it is a lot when Russell is on the ice. I think that pair would be a flat out disaster and it would likely not be because of Russell.

Reactions: Aerrol

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I personally dont trade Ghost for Larsson+

Organizational RHD depth is the best its been in years (and thats saying a lot). Lets not open that hole again.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The Oilers management have an easy job now. All they have to do is nothing to look better than the guy they fired.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The Oilers management have an easy job now. All they have to do is nothing to look better than the guy they fired.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is Toronto moving Gardiner now or loading up for this run? Have to think they could recoup a bunch of the stuff they gave away for Muzzin if they really wanted

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What about Nurse for Ghost Bear?

I'd prefer that over Klefbom.

The Oilers aren't in a position to shuffle one top 4 D out for another. If they are dealing Nurse, Klefbom or Larsson, it has to be in a bigger package for a #1.
The Oilers just don't have the depth to make a deck chair shuffle trade IMO even if it's for a dynamic they need although the Ghost contract would be a big selling point in this scenario with the uncertainty surrounding Nurse's next deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: