Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Having McDavid & McDonagh would have been too confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
And I'm saying it's silly to call them contenders when they haven't won a first round. It's like anointing a goalie a legitimate starter after only one good season. I'm saying, talk to me after the playoffs about their contender status. Let's see if they've got "the stuff."

Did you consider the Capitals a contender all these years? The Sharks? There was a lot of 1st round exits mixed in there, the Caps didn't even make it to the CF until last year.
The Leafs are a contender, they've added two high level players to a team that was already a 100+ point team that just about made it to the 2nd round. A contender doesn't have to be limited to 2-3 teams.

The Flames are contenders and they haven't won a playoff series. Not winning a playoff series in a past year doesn't automatically make the current team a non-contender.

Reactions: Little Fury

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
And I'm saying it's silly to call them contenders when they haven't won a first round. It's like anointing a goalie a legitimate starter after only one good season. I'm saying, talk to me after the playoffs about their contender status. Let's see if they've got "the stuff."

I dunno about you but I consider any team that's top 10 in the league to be a contender.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
They don’t have the parts man. Spotty goalie and the depth of a puddle on defence. Great season team and bad playoff team.

People overrate depth around here, it's ridiculous. They have the top end talent, that's the hardest part. Rounding out the D is an issue, but they could trade a guy like Nylander for a D and not miss a beat.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Did you consider the Capitals a contender all these years? The Sharks? There was a lot of 1st round exits mixed in there, the Caps didn't even make it to the CF until last year.
The Leafs are a contender, they've added two high level players to a team that was already a 100+ point team that just about made it to the 2nd round. A contender doesn't have to be limited to 2-3 teams.

The Flames are contenders and they haven't won a playoff series. Not winning a playoff series in a past year doesn't automatically make the current team a non-contender.

The Capitals and Sharks both won playoff series with their core groups. So they aren't comparable. The Flames, again, let's see how they do these playoffs.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Well a top 10 team would be an automatic playoff team so yeah, I'm talking Cup.

That's what I was afraid of. I've got 5 cup contenders in my list right now, all of whom have established themselves as capable of winning in the playoffs. I guess my standards for "cup contender" are a little more exacting than yours.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I guess my standards for "cup contender" are a little more exacting than yours.

upload_2019-2-5_13-13-18.gif

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-5_13-13-9.gif
    upload_2019-2-5_13-13-9.gif
    874.7 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: North

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That's what I was afraid of. I've got 5 cup contenders in my list right now, all of whom have established themselves as capable of winning in the playoffs. I guess my standards for "cup contender" are a little more exacting than yours.

You tell me your list of 5 contenders and I'll tell you mine and let's see.

Personally, i don't think "established ability to win in the playoffs" tells you anything about future success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad