Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: This is the Sound of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Connolly is basically Chaisson but having a little better of a 'break out year' playing on a much better team. I use the term 'breakout year' loosely being its his 8th season.

Classic guy the oilers would overpay only to go back to his 20-30 points per year.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Man did Carolina ever get bent over in that trade its looking Chia bad at this point. Ferland might be gone and all they'll have to show for 2 assets that only increased their value post trade is Hamilton.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Why are people actually talking about a career scrub in Connoly like he is a great signing at 4 mill.

Its the type of contracts and players the Oilers need to avoid at all costs. Way too much risk , very little reward.

need to find more 21 to 25 year old's who have ample of hockey IQ and speed. Team is not lacking character. They are lacking depth and talent.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Man did Carolina ever get bent over in that trade its looking Chia bad at this point. Ferland might be gone and all they'll have to show for 2 assets that only increased their value post trade is Hamilton.

It was a risk/reward trade for CALGARY that went spectacularly well for the Flames.

Hanifin and Lindholm have basically had best case scenario improvements, but if they didn't, Hamilton was easily the best player in the grouping.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Why are people actually talking about a career scrub in Connoly like he is a great signing at 4 mill.

Its the type of contracts and players the Oilers need to avoid at all costs. Way too much risk , very little reward.

need to find more 21 to 25 year old's who have ample of hockey IQ and speed. Team is not lacking character. They are lacking depth and talent.

I feel like they are lacking in both, but I agree with you on Connolly and think character here means more like a new Matt Hendricks on the 4line NOT an expensive middle six winger.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
It was a risk/reward trade for CALGARY that went spectacularly well for the Flames.

Hanifin and Lindholm have basically had best case scenario improvements, but if they didn't, Hamilton was easily the best player in the grouping.

Not sure I would say easily, he got the Giordano bump last year. Not sure you would find a Flames fan that would trade Hanifin or Lindholm one for one with Hamilton right now, especially with him being a UFA next year and the deals those guys are on.

But that was some shrewd GM'ing by Treliving in identifying players that are actually good that are on the outs with their current team and getting them and signing them cheaply. That is how you win in today's NHL.

I still hold out hope that one day the Oilers will have a competent management team in place.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Connolly is basically Chaisson but having a little better of a 'break out year' playing on a much better team. I use the term 'breakout year' loosely being its his 8th season.

Classic guy the oilers would overpay only to go back to his 20-30 points per year.
So we know what you're hoping for then. Follows the pattern.

I think there's more of a player there, you don't have to vastly over pay him, but he's worth a look.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
So we know what you're hoping for then. Follows the pattern.

I think there's more of a player there, you don't have to vastly over pay him, but he's worth a look.

I didn't say don't sign him. But people are talking like $4 million or more for multiple years... Thats f***ing crazy.

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm all for Connolly, but he's not a guy you get into long-term with. He's a good piece no doubt, but you have to think he's probably a 10-15g 10-15a guy next year. Just like Chiasson.

Doesn't PK and doesn't play center.

1.5-2mil 1-3 years is where you want him. Anything more and you are really taking a risk

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I didn't say don't sign him. But people are talking like $4 million or more for multiple years... Thats ****ing crazy.
Yes that's clearly too much for a guy coming off a deal that's no where near that and doesn't have the track record for that.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
:laugh: fair enough, I wonder if Lamoriello taking a chance on a former players kids.
Meh. I actually had him getting drafted at some point. His production has been solid since he's been in the USHL. He was just really small back then.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
A guy I’d look at from OTT is JG Pageau, there going all out for picks this draft, probably could be had for our 3rd plus a little, always been a solid depth contributor

Reactions: ujju2

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Man, Carolina is a really big warning sign when it comes to college players right now.

Fox and Cotton are both possibly looking to walk to FA it seems.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
A guy I’d look at from OTT is JG Pageau, there going all out for picks this draft, probably could be had for our 3rd plus a little, always been a solid depth contributor
Ideal 3C for us.. sadly he would cost a lot closer to a Puljujarvi or late 1st than a 3rd.

Reactions: ujju2

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Man, Carolina is a really big warning sign when it comes to college players right now.

Fox and Cotton are both possibly looking to walk to FA it seems.

Why? Carolina has a stacked D core full of young D and even more in the AHL trying to break in. If I was a college D, I wouldnt see day light in that D core for a few years. Not a bad problem to have

Fox would likely be our 4th best D if he signed here. In Carolina he is middle pairing in the AHL if lucky

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Why? Carolina has a stacked D core full of young D and even more in the AHL trying to break in. If I was a college D, I wouldnt see day light in that D core for a few years. Not a bad problem to have

Fox would likely be our 4th best D if he signed here. In Carolina he is middle pairing in the AHL if lucky

Why? Because you're losing assets for nothing. Any way you frame that, it's not positive.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Why? Because you're losing assets for nothing. Any way you frame that, it's not positive.

The college loophole hysteria gets overblown each year. If other GMs were this fearful of college UFA possibly using the loophole 4 years down the road, Id love it. Id draft all of the college players they left behind

If teams dont like it, sign that college player in his freshman or sophmore season and bring him into the AHL. Hed be the same age getting a contract and playing pro hockey as a CHL drafted player is

NHL teams just got greedy and thought they could trick the system by drafting college players and having them in NCAA for 4/5 years vs 2/3 years for CHL players. So extra years of not paying them/using a contract spot/burning a contract year. Then NCAA player got wise and realized that as a junior or senior they have proved themselves for 4 years prior and increased their marketability tenfold (they are now a known commodity) so they actually took control of their careers. Good on them

NHL teams can stop this by offering contracts to players in their first or second year, that player would love to get a NHL contract and secure his future as its unknown at that point. But NHL teams are greedy.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Trade Kassian for Brown, trade Oilers 1st + Yammo for Ehlers, sign Connolly (3x3.5), reup Chiasson (1x1.50)

Dump Russel, Brodziak

Draisaitl - McDavid - Brown
Ehlers - RNH - Connolly
Khaira - Gagner - Chiasson
Lucic - Cave - Gambardella

Klef - Lar
Nurse - Sekera
Jones - Benning

Ideally also dump Lucic, get a legit top4 RHD and a legit #3C but I could live with this for one offseason.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Connolly is a player you need to find before he has this type of career year. Not the guy you give a multi year deal to based on a single good season offensively.

Stay away from that kind of contract imo. Way too big a risk of him reverting to the 25 point player he’s been the rest of his career.

As a Caps fan I agree.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

No way would Ottawa accept only a 3rd for Pageau. It's gonna take a good prospect at least to get him. That, or a good pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad