Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: This is the Sound of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Random thought here, if I get attacked/flamed for it I'm ready. Just thinking this cause both players are struggling. It does nothing for us salary wise but it could be an interesting dynamic change for the line up.

Lucic for Kovalchuk.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Random thought here, if I get attacked/flamed for it I'm ready. Just thinking this cause both players are struggling. It does nothing for us salary wise but it could be an interesting dynamic change for the line up.

Lucic for Kovalchuk.

Kovalchuk would fly back to Russia before he plays for Edmonton. He's got that clause for a reason. LA will have a different head coach next year, he'll stay there.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
If Gillis is named POHO u have to beileve he names his buddy Gilman as the gm. Which I wouldnt mind. Hopefully they keep Gretzky on as AGM to manage scouting and drafting because thats where the Gillis/Gilman tandem sucked at in vancouver.

this would be the absolute best case scenario. I would turn into a hardcore oiler fan again instead of just watching a couple of games this year. I am close to losing interest in the team

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
with Cale Makar leaving school this year (according to Adrian Dater on Gregor's show), I wonder what it would take to get Tyson Barrie here
he is 1 year from UFA and I wonder if the Avs wanna pay him

he's exactly what the Oilers need

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
This was talked about elsewhere.

The whole rumor is Katz doesn't like how Nicholson is handling the hockey side of the business. Wants to hire a POHO, let that POHO run the hockey side and Nicholson as a CEO runs the business side only. Which makes sense.

There is also rumor that the Oilers are looking at Mike Gillis as POHO and allow him to hire a GM.

I could see Gillis hired as POHO, Gretzky and Gillis run the draft, basically just drafting and trading up or down for picks. McCrimmon hired to deal with free agency and the off season with Gretzky still working in the team with some capacity and most of the hockey department let go at the end of current contracts and replaced.

Not sure where that Gillis rumour came from but Stauffer shot his name down to Friedman last Friday before Elliott could even get his full name out of his mouth.
Gillis is the only executive Stauffer has unequivocally ruled out as working for the Oilers thus far.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not sure where that Gillis rumour came from but Stauffer shot his name down to Friedman last Friday before Elliott could even get his full name out of his mouth.
Gillis is the only executive Stauffer has unequivocally ruled out as working for the Oilers thus far.
Or he is trying to keep it hush hush. He seems a lot more... Out of the loop

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Friedman laughed and said Stauffer would be out of a job after Bob said he wouldn’t kiss Gillis’ ass. I want to see Gillis get hired just to hear Baghdad Bob pucker up.

Reactions: guymez

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014

Stauffer brought up his list of potential gm candidates for John Shannon to yay or nay them. Brought up Gilman. Shannon said yes. Stauffer then brought up gillis as a fit. Shannon then started talking about Gillis and Gilman as a package deal. But then was asked about POHO and GM to which Shannon said he's not sure about what the oilers would do. It's at 16min38sec of the podcast with Stauffer and Shannon.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Stauffer brought up his list of potential gm candidates for John Shannon to yay or nay them. Brought up Gilman. Shannon said yes. Stauffer then brought up gillis as a fit. Shannon then started talking about Gillis and Gilman as a package deal. But then was asked about POHO and GM to which Shannon said he's not sure about what the oilers would do. It's at 16min38sec of the podcast with Stauffer and Shannon.
That is interesting considering how tantrum-like his response to Gillis with Friedman was.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
We have a logjam in the dman pipeline. One of them most likely goes this summer for a young winger. I think it'll be Bear, he'll have good value and is the type of player teams are always looking for.

So, Bear for Balcers or Chlapik?

Maybe we add a bit onto him and get someone with higher upside like Bear + 4th for Max Jones?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
That is interesting considering how tantrum-like his response to Gillis with Friedman was.

There was a big puff piece in the interim about Gillis traveling the world, interacting with sports franchises all over the place and promising to be a changed man as far as his approach goes. I don't think he should be a GM candidate because he's a noted bridge burner, but as POHO? I guess he should be on the list.

As an executive, he was never been the worst in the league. There's one really poor decision in his resume and that was trading Luongo and Schneider in the span of 9 months. There's some other weird shit in there too, like when Cody Hodgson messed up his back training with Sam Gagner's dad and didn't want to train with him the next summer - Gillis threw a tantrum, said "Cody Hodgson is not a Canuck" and escalated the situation. Which is total "Lowe" move to mine drama in public when it didn't need to be public.

I guess another problem is GM candidates are out there, but how many good POHO candidates are there? You want a senior voice. You want someone who is collaborative. I think the Oilers WILL go with an inexperienced NHL GM, possibly Kelly McCrimmon or Mark Hunter, so it'd be nice to have a elder statesman POHO.

Not SURE Gillis is that but maybe an interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad