Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: This is the Sound of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
with Cale Makar leaving school this year (according to Adrian Dater on Gregor's show), I wonder what it would take to get Tyson Barrie here
he is 1 year from UFA and I wonder if the Avs wanna pay him

he's exactly what the Oilers need
Makar hasn't done squat since being drafted. Why would the avs dump a proven D and open up a spot for a rookie? Here we are talking about not rushing prospects and you think the avs would rush in an unproven prospect? And if Makar does nothing next season, he would be near bust territory like JP. Perhaps JP for Makar straight up.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'm fine with one of those two as GM, but I don't want any part of Holland.
I've seen the anti Holland sentiment quite a bit and I don't quite understand it. Guy was at the helm of the model NHL franchise of the 2000s, a team that was built on speed and skill. Now that their star players have aged out and retired and they haven't bottomed out long enough to replace them he's a bad exec? What am I missing with him.....

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I've seen the anti Holland sentiment quite a bit and I don't quite understand it. Guy was at the helm of the model NHL franchise of the 2000s, a team that was built on speed and skill. Now that their star players have aged out and retired and they haven't bottomed out long enough to replace them he's a bad exec? What am I missing with him.....
Poor cap management.

North

Jun 25, 2009

His moves since his stars aged out haven’t been great. Also, his love for Kyle Quincey is always going to be a strike.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Makar hasn't done squat since being drafted. Why would the avs dump a proven D and open up a spot for a rookie? Here we are talking about not rushing prospects and you think the avs would rush in an unproven prospect? And if Makar does nothing next season, he would be near bust territory like JP. Perhaps JP for Makar straight up.

Makar's a beast. And they already have Erik Johnson on the right side, and they need forward depth.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Random thought here, if I get attacked/flamed for it I'm ready. Just thinking this cause both players are struggling. It does nothing for us salary wise but it could be an interesting dynamic change for the line up.

Lucic for Kovalchuk.
I doubt Kovalchuk waives to come here. I could see him going back to Russia just to give a FU to LA after how he's been treated there this year.
with Cale Makar leaving school this year (according to Adrian Dater on Gregor's show), I wonder what it would take to get Tyson Barrie here
he is 1 year from UFA and I wonder if the Avs wanna pay him

he's exactly what the Oilers need
I wouldn't mind Barrie, but that's a very risky player for us to go after. I also hope the Avs are smart enough not to move a guy because they have someone leaving college. Despite his flaws he runs their PP for them and is by far their best offensive weapon on the point.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He inherited a Stanley Cup winning club that had a lot of depth.

He's stars were aging for years and he hadn't found a way to replace those superstar picks that he made 20 years ago.

The team was on the downswing for quite some time and he had no answers.

As a POHO I'd take him, as a GM I don't know if he knows how to build anymore. And that's exactly what we need, a guy that can build around our stars.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

That model was built on dumb luck and the ability to spend more money than anyone else in a pre-cap league.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
He inherited a Stanley Cup winning club that had a lot of depth.

He's stars were aging for years and he hadn't found a way to replace those superstar picks that he made 20 years ago.

The team was on the downswing for quite some time and he had no answers.

As a POHO I'd take him, as a GM I don't know if he knows how to build anymore. And that's exactly what we need, a guy that can build around our stars.
This pretty much nails it. It’s all fun when your scouts unearth Lidstrom, Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the late rounds but there has been a long and unbroken slide into mediocrity with poor drafting, poor cap management/signings going back a decade now. Holland may be ok as POHO. Hard to say without seeing how he is in terms of capabilities. He does seem to conduct himself with some class, so thats a plus. I dont see anything in his record that tells me he can build up a winner in this era so I cant support his as GM.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
he led his team in scoring...as a 19 year old defenseman...yeah "squat"

and the reason they trade Barrie is because they have an internal cap and won't be able to afford Barrie's raise...especially after re-signing Rantannen to a monster contract

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

This post:facepalm:

Makar stayed back another year to develop. So what are you talking about rushing?
He is arguably the best d prospect out there ATM
Then you say if he doesn't play well I his first year pro its comparable to JP...who hasn't in 3 lol

No...just no

Reactions: Llamamoto

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Also, I want to re-double my desire to see the Oilers sign Brett Connolly as a UFA, he's a player who's a good age, who's game is coming around and appears to be a person of good character.
Seconded.

27 years old ,6'3, 20 + 20 scorer. I'd like to see a 5x4 or maybe 5x4.25.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Conolly would instantly become by far our 4th best forward and our best natural winger. Depressing af.

I dont think I would do 4 tbh, 3.5 is where I draw the line.

Michael Grabner got 3x3.35 should be a similar comparable imo.

Reactions: Llamamoto

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Conolly would instantly become by far our 4th best forward and our best natural winger. Depressing af.

I dont think I would do 4 tbh, 3.5 is where I draw the line.

Michael Grabner got 3x3.35 should be a similar comparable imo.
Yeah that Grabner contract was about what I was thinking for Connolly

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Connolly is a player you need to find before he has this type of career year. Not the guy you give a multi year deal to based on a single good season offensively.

Stay away from that kind of contract imo. Way too big a risk of him reverting to the 25 point player he’s been the rest of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad