Rumor: Rumours and Proposals Thread: This is the Sound of Silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Trade Kassian for Brown, trade Oilers 1st + Yammo for Ehlers, sign Connolly (3x3.5), reup Chiasson (1x1.50)

Dump Russel, Brodziak

Draisaitl - McDavid - Brown
Ehlers - RNH - Connolly
Khaira - Gagner - Chiasson
Lucic - Cave - Gambardella

Klef - Lar
Nurse - Sekera
Jones - Benning

Ideally also dump Lucic, get a legit top4 RHD and a legit #3C but I could live with this for one offseason.

Leafs fans jump on Brown for making a lot of bad plays lately. If all it took was Kassian, fine, but he might not be a solution at wing and may even be a lateral move if he doesn't go back to being a 20 goal scorer.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Leafs fans jump on Brown for making a lot of bad plays lately. If all it took was Kassian, fine, but he might not be a solution at wing and may even be a lateral move if he doesn't go back to being a 20 goal scorer.

Fair enough. Brown has scored at every level hes played at from juniors to the AHL to the NHL when given opportunity. The Leafs to me are the 2nd deepest team at forward only after Tampa. Brown is 9th in ATOI (3rd/4th line) is 1st in SHTOI and 11th in PPTOI among forwards.
I would take the gamble that he can rebound with us.
Like you said though it would have to be cheap.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd rather take a look at Kapanen from Toronto. That guy would certainly help in the speed department, he can fly.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How do you propose we get him? We havent the cap space to add him unless we dump Russel and or Lucic.

We will have about $8-$9 million in cap room factoring in the cap rising. Should be able to sign him to an extension in the 4.5 range.

The player they're going to want back is likely Puljujarvi and a pick. That saves them cap.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We will have about $8-$9 million in cap room factoring in the cap rising. Should be able to sign him to an extension in the 4.5 range.

The player they're going to want back is likely Puljujarvi and a pick. That saves them cap.

We have 16 players signed to roster positions next year. Trading for Kapanen leaves us 3.5M to sign 6 more players and with league salary minimum is impossible, so sorry, you have to dump one or both of Lucic and or Russell to open cap space.

There is no getting around it, we have to open cap space to trade and sign better players for next year.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I would prefer Chris Tierney over JGP. 24 years old, put up 40 points last year, on pace for 50 this year. Paid 2.9 million, and his expiry status is RFA.

Sens fans said they would do a 2nd + a prospect.

Reactions: A91

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Has a Kovalchuk for Lucic swap ever been discussed. LA doesn’t seem to be liking the Kovalchuk experiment, with them not taking him along on this road trip, demoting him to bottom 6 duties despite him being the top scorer on their team earlier in the year. So they have this team cancer lockerrd up for another 2 years, is it, at 6.75M? Meanwhile, they had Lucic, they liked Lucic, and Lucic like the team and the city, seems like it could be a fit there.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Has a Kovalchuk for Lucic swap ever been discussed. LA doesn’t seem to be liking the Kovalchuk experiment, with them not taking him along on this road trip, demoting him to bottom 6 duties despite him being the top scorer on their team earlier in the year. So they have this team cancer lockerrd up for another 2 years, is it, at 6.75M? Meanwhile, they had Lucic, they liked Lucic, and Lucic like the team and the city, seems like it could be a fit there.

Zero chance Kovalchuk wants to come here and zero chance Edmonton wants him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I would prefer Chris Tierney over JGP. 24 years old, put up 40 points last year, on pace for 50 this year. Paid 2.9 million, and his expiry status is RFA.

Sens fans said they would do a 2nd + a prospect.

Matters not what Sens fans would do. They dont run the team. Don’t see them trading a roster player like him as they need to hit cap floor, Tierney fits the youth movement with a team controlled contract.

Sens fans are idiots anyway.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

If they're willing to waive, definitely. We'd probably have to add a 3rd though.

Do that, and then trade 2nd for Tierney, and our team looks quite a bit better.

Kassian - McDavid - Draisaitl
Chiasson - Nuge - Kovalchuk
Khaira - Tierney - Puljujarvi
Gambardella - Gagner - Currie

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If they're willing to waive, definitely. We'd probably have to add a 3rd though.

Do that, and then trade 2nd for Tierney, and our team looks quite a bit better.

Kassian - McDavid - Draisaitl
Chiasson - Nuge - Kovalchuk
Khaira - Tierney - Puljujarvi
Gambardella - Gagner - Currie

Your not getting Tierney and Kovalchuk is slower than Lucic with a crappy attitude.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Zero chance Kovalchuk wants to come here and zero chance Edmonton wants him.

Well I mean Kovalchuk could either take a trade, play wing with the best player in the league, and salvage his career and legacy, or he could continue being an outcast on a team that doesn’t want him and fade into obscurity

Reactions: Llamamoto

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Well I mean Kovalchuk could either take a trade, play wing with the best player in the league, and salvage his career and legacy, or he could continue being an outcast on a team that doesn’t want him and fade into obscurity

He wont come to Edmonton plain and simple. And we dont want him. He could never keep up to McDavid 10 years ago never mind now. Kovalchuk is done.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He wont come to Edmonton plain and simple. And we dont want him. He could never keep up to McDavid 10 years ago never mind now. Kovalchuk is done.

The question Edmonton asks is not “Do we want Kovalchuk” it’s “Would we rather have Kovalchuk than Lucic” and that’s a no brainer in any hockey circle and management group.

Of course we want Kovalchuk over Lucic. His shot, offensive instincts, would be a huge upgrade on what Lucic brings. And there is a very good chance, a sniper like Kovalchuk could click with either Drai or McDavid.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We have 16 players signed to roster positions next year. Trading for Kapanen leaves us 3.5M to sign 6 more players and with league salary minimum is impossible, so sorry, you have to dump one or both of Lucic and or Russell to open cap space.

There is no getting around it, we have to open cap space to trade and sign better players for next year.

Maroon (2) McDavid (12.5) Draisaitl (8.5)
Chiasson (2) RNH (6) Kapanen (4.5)
Lucic (6) Marody (0.9) Gagner (3)
Khaira (1.5) Brodziak (1.15) Kassian (1.9)
Currie (0.687)

Klefbom (4.1) Larsson (4.1)
Sekera (5.5) Nurse (3.5)
Russell (4) Jones (0.9)
Bear (0.7)

Koskinen (4.5)
Back Up (1.5)

Poops + Gryba (1.6)

= $81 million on a $82.5 million cap.

It works. Tight, but what can you expect with the bozo who ran the show before. Benning goes out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A done Kovalchuk would be 5th in scoring behind the center trio and Chiasson.

He won't leave LA for Edmonton. He even said while it sucks to not play in LA, the weather is so great that it helps versus a situation where the weather sucks, lol.

He's not coming to anywhere in Canada.

Reactions: Faelko

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I did an excercise the other reviewing past years “best” free agents list. Take a look at these lists, the players, and how they ended up before getting too excited that the free agency class is going to solve any of our problems, from past years, it looks much much more likely that it’ll creat more problems than it’ll solve.

I mean look at all the stinkers that came out of these “top” free agents, like 90% of them ended up being really really bad:

NHL's top 16 UFAs of 2016: Leafs interested in Russell? - Sportsnet.ca

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Maroon (2) McDavid (12.5) Draisaitl (8.5)
Chiasson (2) RNH (6) Kapanen (4.5)
Lucic (6) Marody (0.9) Gagner (3)
Khaira (1.5) Brodziak (1.15) Kassian (1.9)
Currie (0.687)

Klefbom (4.1) Larsson (4.1)
Sekera (5.5) Nurse (3.5)
Russell (4) Jones (0.9)
Bear (0.7)

Koskinen (4.5)
Back Up (1.5)

Poops + Gryba (1.6)

= $81 million on a $82.5 million cap.

It works. Tight, but what can you expect with the bozo who ran the show before. Benning goes out.

Well at least we are getting another top 10 pick with this lineup.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The question Edmonton asks is not “Do we want Kovalchuk” it’s “Would we rather have Kovalchuk than Lucic” and that’s a no brainer in any hockey circle and management group.

Of course we want Kovalchuk over Lucic. His shot, offensive instincts, would be a huge upgrade on what Lucic brings. And there is a very good chance, a sniper like Kovalchuk could click with either Drai or McDavid.

No we would not. Kovalchuk is all about the Kovalchuks and Kovalbucks. Keep him away from this locker room, far far away.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I did an excercise the other reviewing past years “best” free agents list. Take a look at these lists, the players, and how they ended up before getting too excited that the free agency class is going to solve any of our problems, from past years, it looks much much more likely that it’ll creat more problems than it’ll solve.

I mean look at all the stinkers that came out of these “top” free agents, like 90% of them ended up being really really bad:

NHL's top 16 UFAs of 2016: Leafs interested in Russell? - Sportsnet.ca

Yikes. The only 2 players that actually did good were Staal and Vanek. That list is just depressing lol.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Trade Kassian for Brown, trade Oilers 1st + Yammo for Ehlers, sign Connolly (3x3.5), reup Chiasson (1x1.50)

Dump Russel, Brodziak

Draisaitl - McDavid - Brown
Ehlers - RNH - Connolly
Khaira - Gagner - Chiasson
Lucic - Cave - Gambardella

Klef - Lar
Nurse - Sekera
Jones - Benning

Ideally also dump Lucic, get a legit top4 RHD and a legit #3C but I could live with this for one offseason.

Why? That's a lateral move IMO and I think Kassian is a better fit because he brings more to the table when he's not scoring and seems very well liked by the guys.
That's too much for Connolly as well. He's having a good year but it seems like an outlier after 8 seasons. He could be a late bloomer but it's risky.

You have the right idea outside of the Kassian trade. I don't know how the Oilers fit in all those contracts even with dumping Russell but I like the idea of making a strong play for Ehlers with the pick as bait, I'm sure Winnipeg is looking for a young cheap player who can play right now though.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
No way would Ottawa accept only a 3rd for Pageau. It's gonna take a good prospect at least to get him. That, or a good pick.
I don’t think you read where I put a 3rd “plus a little” in the post, I’d do our second even but that’s a high second. A couple third round picks or a third and a decent prospect is a good offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad