Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: 1st Rounder in Play? Ruh Roh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Do...do you think Chia is going to win a deal?

Such as?
Have no idea. There are a lot of teams that are doing bad this year looking for a shakeup. I also see a team like FLA finding out rather soon that their budget is going to be cut for next year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think the Oilers are moving Pulju as soon as Hitch tells them that he cant be fixed.
Hoping Hitch gets him going but i am not holding my breath here.

Honestly he’s probably already told them this. And he wouldn’t be wrong IMO.

People keep comparing him to Wheeler and saying how long it took for Wheeler to figure things out. Problem is that Wheeler never looked as confused or awkward on skates and has actual stick skills.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Oh man...

giphy.gif

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The only forward I want from STL is ROR. He would instantly make us a contender. Improved faceoffs, PK, PP and leadership instantly. Doubt STL entertain trading him.

Schwartz has 3 goals this year. Pulju + 1st + Talbot when we are only 6pts up on LA (last in west) ..

Schwartz may be a good buy low candidate. Unfortunately, giving them a player that is younger and has more goals on the season and still having to add a a first and Talbot isn't really buying low.

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
I agree with trading Puljujarvi. IMO he's a bust with us. He may have a decent career elsewhere but not with us. Plus, we need quality wingers. The thing that's scary is trading a first round pick

Reactions: Mav3rick07

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Pulju+Benning+Talbot+1st
For
Schwartz+Maroon+3rd

Schwartz this year not good by any means but in the years he’s healthy he’s pretty good

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Again, that healthy d-corps of yours includes a 32 year old who has played 36 games since 16-17 and is likely done as a top 4 NHL D. In other words it's a fantasy.

You aren't exactly selling me with takes like this either:

We have the best player in a generation. Just good enough isn't good enough.
No. Actually, I'm talking about this season. Prior to the Klefbom injury, the Oilers were on a pace that was ahead of that 16-17 regular season.

Having Connor McDavid on this roster is always going to have us in the mix. As our depth improves over the next few seasons, the roster will inevitably improve.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly he’s probably already told them this. And he wouldn’t be wrong IMO.

People keep comparing him to Wheeler and saying how long it took for Wheeler to figure things out. Problem is that Wheeler never looked as confused or awkward on skates and has actual stick skills.
Yet Wheeler scored 24 goals his first year in the NHL. Seems like such a stupid comparison to be honest.

Even if you go with it's going to take JP time to develop, if there is a deal for a top 6 forward this team can't wait. Doesn't matter who the GM is, we need to pull the trigger on legit players.

Reactions: Cloned

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Gonna be JP + Talbot + 2nd for Schwartz and then 1st + Yamamoto + Rieder for Stone.

They’ll bury Manning in the minors and keep Sekera on LTIR all season to keep cap compliant.

Schwartz becomes a 40 point player here and Stone signs elsewhere in the summer. The first round pick wins the lottery and Ottawa picks #1 even without their own first rounder.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Schwartz may be a good buy low candidate. Unfortunately, giving them a player that is younger and has more goals on the season and still having to add a a first and Talbot isn't really buying low.
yup. same goes for guys like Tarasenko etc. Nurse alone would be an overpayment considering whats both have done this year, the position they play and their caphits. But most here have us adding 1st or Bouchard to the deal.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The only forward I want from STL is ROR. He would instantly make us a contender. Improved faceoffs, PK, PP and leadership instantly. Doubt STL entertain trading him.

Schwartz has 3 goals this year. Pulju + 1st + Talbot when we are only 6pts up on LA (last in west) ..

This is an outlier season for Schwartz. He's generally good for 25-30 goals, 55-60 points on a team that lacks elite skilled centers and is signed through next season. His issue is durability but no less than RNH.

I'd have a lot of interest in him but not just Pulju+1st. I don't know what else they'd want in addition to Pulju.
In any event, they can't fit him anyway unless they move out a lot of salary so not sure who they could be targeting.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Gonna be JP + Talbot + 2nd for Schwartz and then 1st + Yamamoto + Rieder for Stone.

They’ll bury Manning in the minors and keep Sekera on LTIR all season to keep cap compliant.
Honestly who do we get as a backup?

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

That would hurt, but I don't hate it.

To me Sekera's cap space hanging in the wind to address in the summer (doubt a team trades for him without any ice time this season) and losing Stone as a UFA for that much given up make it a no for me, unless Stone is re-upped as part of the deal.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
The Oilers issue to my way of thinking is primary scoring, not secondary scoring. One of Draisaitl or RNH plays with McDavid and the other is an island playing with complimentary role players. If they can build a two line attack with another primary scorer, everyone gets bumped back and the onus is no longer on players like Khaira, Puljujarvi and Reider to step up and fit in top-six roles (which hasn't and won't happen).

The dream scenario would be, even if took an egregious overpay, to land Tarasenko. He doesn't have a trade clause, he makes a fair amount but is not overly difficult to fit past this upcoming season. They would need to clear 3.7M or so in 2018-2019 remaining salary for it to work, or else have justification to shut down Andrej Sekera for the remainder of the year.

As for what it would cost to acquire him, I would not move Evan Bouchard and I would only move one of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto. Beyond that I would move any collection of futures including Caleb Jones, Jujhar Khaira, Ethan Bear, Tyler Benson, Cooper Marody on top of the first round pick, suppliment picks and Puljujarvi or Yamamoto.

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
The Oilers issue to my way of thinking is primary scoring, not secondary scoring. One of Draisaitl or RNH plays with McDavid and the other is an island playing with complimentary role players. If they can build a two line attack with another primary scorer, everyone gets bumped back and the onus is no longer on players like Khaira, Puljujarvi and Reider to step up and fit in top-six roles (which hasn't and won't happen).

The dream scenario would be, even if took an egregious overpay, to land Tarasenko. He doesn't have a trade clause, he makes a fair amount but is not overly difficult to fit past this upcoming season. They would need to clear 3.7M or so in 2018-2019 remaining salary for it to work, or else have justification to shut down Andrej Sekera for the remainder of the year.

As for what it would cost to acquire him, I would not move Evan Bouchard and I would only move one of Puljujarvi or Yamamoto. Beyond that I would move any collection of futures including Caleb Jones, Jujhar Khaira, Ethan Bear, Tyler Benson, Cooper Marody on top of the first round pick, suppliment picks and Puljujarvi or Yamamoto.

I would not move Caleb Jones. He shows promise

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
incoming downgrade to our offence. Chiasson for a has been that sucks or something like that.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
No. Actually, I'm talking about this season. Prior to the Klefbom injury, the Oilers were on a pace that was ahead of that 16-17 regular season.

After the win against the Avs where Klefbom went down, they had 36 points in 31 games. That's a 95 point pace, which is a bubble team number and 8 points shy of 16-17's final total.

Having Connor McDavid on this roster is always going to have us in the mix. As our depth improves over the next few seasons, the roster will inevitably improve.

Assuming everything goes in a perfectly straight line and all the prospects pan out, which is simply not a reasonable assumption to make.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad