Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where Creativity is murdered by Skepticism and the Salary Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Not our circus, not our monkeys but these tweets from Dreger about Gardiner and Marner I found interesting:

On Marner, he needs to be signed by the draft to avoid an offer sheet and offered north of $11 million to ignore other teams:

On Gardiner, he thinks he'll get $6 mill per season as a UFA. Hard no.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Not our circus, not our monkeys but these tweets from Dreger about Gardiner and Marner I found interesting:

On Marner, he needs to be signed by the draft to avoid an offer sheet and offered north of $11 million to ignore other teams:

On Gardiner, he thinks he'll get $6 mill per season as a UFA. Hard no.

To think they could have had Marner for 9 mill per season for 8 years during the summer but Dubas felt that was too steep.

I'm not surprised about that price tag for Gardiner but I wouldn't want to be the GM that gives him that deal.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I think you left out the Oilers adding a first or two there. Why does Nashville do that trade?

Because Nashville wants to clear his cap hit and Subban isn't worth much more than that.

Why would the Oilers add a first for a defender who can't defend, had a down year, and is going to be on the wrong side of 30 and earns 9 million a season?

The bloom is off the rose when it comes to Subban. People are starting to see exactly who is as a player.

It's not good when you are paid like a number one and play on the second pairing.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Because Nashville wants to clear his cap hit and Subban isn't worth much more than that.

Why would the Oilers add a first for a defender who can't defend, had a down year, and is going to be on the wrong side of 30 and earns 9 million a season?

The bloom is off the rose when it comes to Subban. People are starting to see exactly who is as a player.

It's not good when you are paid like a number one and play on the second pairing.

So Nasville is clearing Subbans cap to waste it on a 4th line winger? How are they clearing cap by adding 10+ to their roster?

Reactions: LTIR

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Subban will sadly still cost a lot.
Bouchard++

Better to stay away and aim lower.

Reactions: belair

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Colin Miller is the guy. Low acquisition cost, still young, relatively affordable salary. Good for 30 to 40 points and can play all situations.

I don't understand the allure of trading for superstars.

Reactions: 780il

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Not like the new GM wouldn't be aware, but the expansion draft could play a pretty big role in acquiring players with term and especially with NTC/NMC in contracts if the same Vegas rules apply to Seattle.

I think that takes #8 and likely #30-whatever in the 2nd round off the table as they'd be expansion-exempt. Unless a couple of players with clauses can be shipped out this summer, the new GM needs to be pretty wise with expansion on the horizon.

Reactions: TB12

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

Nashville will get more without taking the worst contract in the nhl in return

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not like the new GM wouldn't be aware, but the expansion draft could play a pretty big role in acquiring players with term and especially with NTC/NMC in contracts if the same Vegas rules apply to Seattle.

I think that takes #8 and likely #30-whatever in the 2nd round off the table as they'd be expansion-exempt. Unless a couple of players with clauses can be shipped out this summer, the new GM needs to be pretty wise with expansion on the horizon.
What clauses are you talking about? Highly doubtful anyone who currently has a NMC today flexes it for the expansion draft.

North

Jun 25, 2009
So Nasville is clearing Subbans cap to waste it on a 4th line winger? How are they clearing cap by adding 10+ to their roster?

Nashville isn't going to get a lot for Subban. They may ask for a lot initially but most teams will probably stay away.

Lucic, okay it's fair to say he should not be in the deal. But Larsson and a small plus are the types of deals they'd be looking at.

If you're paying a premium price for Subban, you'll regret it.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Nashville will get more without taking the worst contract in the nhl in return

I agree that Lucic should not be in the deal but a Larsson type player and a small plus, as I said in my previous post is the type of deal that most teams should be offering.

You don't break the bank for a shitty defender heading towards the wrong side of 30.

He can put up points but even that was a down arrow for him and they parked him on the second pairing.

He's paid like a number one and they were trying to shelter him. He's basically the new Kevin Shattenkirk with a higher price tag.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
What clauses are you talking about? Highly doubtful anyone who currently has a NMC today flexes it for the expansion draft.

I should have been more clear...I mean acquiring players via trade with a no-trade or no-move already on their contract (ie: Subban) and still honoring it afterwards. Then there's signing ufa players and adding a clause in.

Going off memory, Koskinen, Sekera, Lucic, Russell currently have clauses on their deals with the Oilers. Not one of them should have it, but the Oilers would be forced to protect them in the expansion draft if none of them waived it to be left exposed.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I should have been more clear...I mean acquiring players via trade with a no-trade or no-move already on their contract (ie: Subban) and still honoring it afterwards. Then there's signing ufa players and adding a clause in.

Going off memory, Koskinen, Sekera, Lucic, Russell currently have clauses on their deals with the Oilers. Not one of them should have it, but the Oilers would be forced to protect them in the expansion draft if none of them waived it to be left exposed.

Russell's and Sekera's last season is 20-21 so they shouldn't be an issue for the expansion draft. I hope.

Reactions: McFuhryous

North

Jun 25, 2009
Jeez, time is flying and with Sekera missing so much time, it feels like he still has 3 years left lol.

Fun fact, according to Cap Friendly, the only players we currently have under contract for 21-22 are: McDavid, Drai, Lucic, Klefbom, and Koskinen.

Reactions: McFuhryous

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Miller would be a nice pick up for something like the 39th pick + d prospect like Laggesson.

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Miller
Jones - Russel

It's not anything too crazy but it is solid and is good enough to get us into the playoffs. After the Miller trade I'd still look for a way to trade either Klefbom or Larsson + for an upgrade on the top pair.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Miller would be a nice pick up for something like the 39th pick + d prospect like Laggesson.

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Miller
Jones - Russel

It's not anything too crazy but it is solid and is good enough to get us into the playoffs. After the Miller trade I'd still look for a way to trade either Klefbom or Larsson + for an upgrade on the top pair.

It's not great. Miller was a healthy scratch for a reason.

We still would be missing someone defensively responsible especially if Larsson doesn't recover his ability to defend.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
It's not great. Miller was a healthy scratch for a reason.

We still would be missing someone defensively responsible especially if Larsson doesn't recover his ability to defend.
And that's why I'd be looking to add to him and get an upgrade on the top pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad