Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where Creativity is murdered by Skepticism and the Salary Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Would we trade Subban for RNH?
I think NSH would be happy with the swap.

I think IF you were to trade RNH you are making a trade trying to get two players for the top 6 back for him...

One would be in the form of a prospect that's ready for his shot in September.

That's the only way trading him would make any sense what so ever.

We don't have the forward depth to be trading a key top 6 player for DEFENSE.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I think if you could do something around 8th overall and P.K. Subban, it would make sense for both teams.

However, due to Subban's salary, it's almost impossible for the Oilers to pull off. One of Sekera or Russell would have to go to Nashville and then you're still way off in matching the money.

A Subban/Larsson/Bouchard (Or Bear, Persson or Benning, competition!) right side though is pretty awesome, probably the best right side the Oilers have had in a long time.

I think Colin Miller is a much more attainable guy to go grab. Cheaper, young, signed, can move up and down your pairings. Considering Vegas scratched him a few times this year, I think he'd be available for the right price. He has a few defensive gaffes but frankly, he's pretty solid and underrated.

If you are going to add 10 million in salary to the Oilers do it in the form of two top 6 players IMO

whats better 2 more players for our top 6 right now? or PK Subban.

COME ON GUYS!

Reactions: 780il and North

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Defense is really not the BIG HUGE PROBLEM with this team guys.... we need forwards... and the D will look better.. also look at the D prospects coming up.. Bouchard can make a huge difference on his own if he can translate to the NHL

Bouchard, Jones, Bear, Samorukov, hell even Lagesson has shown to be offensively capable.

Reactions: North and Chabot84

North

Jun 25, 2009
If you are going to add 10 million in salary to the Oilers do it in the form of two top 6 players IMO

whats better 2 more players for our top 6 right now? or PK Subban.

COME ON GUYS!

People are falling into the trap that the OBC used to: trying to go big game hunting.

Targeting a player who is past his prime and giving up good assets is why shitty teams stay shitty.

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006
Think Minny would part with Spurgeon? Bring him in and sign to an extension.
Spurgeon for Yamamoto, Benning and conditional 2nd pick (when Spurgeon resigns)
Bring in Ennis as UFA for 3rd line skill/speed on a cheap deal - couple of years @ $1M.
I'd target Glendening in Detroit for a trade to play 3rd line center. 55% on faceoffs, 10 goals, shoots right. Lagesson and pick?
I'd also look at Donskoi, Burkovsky, Pirri as UFAs
Haula, Brown, Jarnkrok as trade targets
Kharia, Manning, Russel, Gagner , Benning would be traded/bought out.

29 -97 - Brown
Burakovsky - RNH-Pirri
Ennis-Glendening-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Cave-Kassian
Gambardella-Brodziak

Nurse-Spurgeon
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Bear
Jones

Koskinen
Niemi? Elliot? Campbell

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
People are falling into the trap that the OBC used to: trying to go big game hunting.

Targeting a player who is past his prime and giving up good assets is why ****ty teams stay ****ty.

Easy fix for this team honestly.. it has all the ingredients. We just need to add like 2 top 6 players to start and have either Benson or Pulj step up.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Think Minny would part with Spurgeon? Bring him in and sign to an extension.
Spurgeon for Yamamoto, Benning and conditional 2nd pick (when Spurgeon resigns)
Bring in Ennis as UFA for 3rd line skill/speed on a cheap deal - couple of years @ $1M.
I'd target Glendening in Detroit for a trade to play 3rd line center. 55% on faceoffs, 10 goals, shoots right. Lagesson and pick?
I'd also look at Donskoi, Burkovsky, Pirri as UFAs
Haula, Brown, Jarnkrok as trade targets
Kharia, Manning, Russel, Gagner , Benning would be traded/bought out.

29 -97 - Brown
Burakovsky - RNH-Pirri
Ennis-Glendening-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Cave-Kassian
Gambardella-Brodziak

Nurse-Spurgeon
Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Bear
Jones

Koskinen
Niemi? Elliot? Campbell

Yikes

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Do not need to add a defenseman. A player will come up through the system. By the end of next year, Bouchard and Jones will be pushing for top 4 minutes.

Oilers should be looking to move Russell, Benning, or Sekera out if they can.

Then, add some free agent wingers. Donskoi, Panik, or Weal on short term deals until some of the young forwards can move up (from Bakersfield or from junior ala McLeod, 2018 first rounder, Yama, Benson, etc.).

Last edited:

blue_n_copper

Nov 30, 2006
Do not need to add a defenseman. A player will come up through the system. By the end of next year, Bouchard and Jones will be pushing for top 4 minutes.

Oilers should be looking to move Russell, Benning, or Sekera out if they can.

Then, add some free agent wingers. Donskoi, Panik, or Weal on short term deals until some of the young forwards can move up (from Bakersfield or from junior ala McLeod, 2018 first rounder, Yama, Benson, etc.).

I agree with moving a defenceman but I think it should be Klefblom. We are stronger on the left side even without Russell playing on his proper side and Klefblom has the highest trade value (outside of Nurse who we would be insane to trade) but is no more indispensable than Russell or Larsson are.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I agree with moving a defenceman but I think it should be Klefblom. We are stronger on the left side even without Russell playing on his proper side and Klefblom has the highest trade value (outside of Nurse who we would be insane to trade) but is no more indispensable than Russell or Larsson are.

Ok. As long as the return is for an appropriate forward (like Connor or Larkin).

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
We need to add a core piece in the top 6, to our age group and fitting our salary structure. Theres not enough reinforcement on the way to fill all the gaps internally. We could really use a upgrade among our D group for a top 4 RD, however thats accomplished (we need this D now, to serve as #1 puckmoving RD, and we need this D in the future to serve as 2RD, unless both Bear and Bouchard turn out elite, which is super wishful thinking. This would involve packaging picks or prospects with one of Sekera, Russell, Benning, or Larsson for an upgrade). We also need a healthy 1B stopgap at G that can give Starrett another development year while performing reliably and costing next to nothing. After that, its whatever depth additions and tweaks we can manage along with cutting salary whenever possible.

This stuff is possible to achieve, but theres no way of knowing if the org or new hires even understand the landscape or share those goals. If they do, id give a non-wizard GM a 50-50 chance of hitting it out of the park.

Im rooting for the hiring of a wizard, personally. In which case I'd add the otherwise impossible goal of clearing out Lucic to the needs list.

P.s. the above is not a roadmap to building an elite team, just a playoff worthy team that we can cross our fingers hoping that the internal promotions and draft picks can eventually put us over the top.

Last edited:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

You suggesting that Klefbom is not more indispensible than Kris Russell ensures we will never see eye to eye on any issue, ever.

Good day sir.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I can only gather from the get rid of dmen people that they want to grab another high draft pick next year.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I can only gather from the get rid of dmen people that they want to grab another high draft pick next year.
They want to get rid of dman because we need to improve our dcore and we can't afford to bring in a better guy without moving cap out. We go into next season with the same defense we are getting another high pick anyways

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
They want to get rid of dman because we need to improve our dcore and we can't afford to bring in a better guy without moving cap out. We go into next season with the same defense we are getting another high pick anyways

Correct--- that D man out cant be someone critical to present (Klefbom) or future (Nurse) success though. I see the entire RD as expendable for a proper upgrade on the given player. Obviously if Larsson is shipped out we need a more complete player coming back than if Benning is shipped out (and have an extra couple million to transfer over in salary to accomplish that). Sekera is a great mentor but if his caphit can be cleared for a middle pairing D earning less then we have to do it, etc.

Caveat to these groundrules being a substantial and obvious upgrade to Klefbom or Nurse in all of cap hit, capability and potential- something that is basically impossible. These are high value players.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Defense is really not the BIG HUGE PROBLEM with this team guys.... we need forwards... and the D will look better.. also look at the D prospects coming up.. Bouchard can make a huge difference on his own if he can translate to the NHL

We were the 6th worst team in the league in goals against this year and 2nd worst in our conference.

Defense is still a pretty big problem.

Reactions: Bobblehead

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
We were the 6th worst team in the league in goals against this year and 2nd worst in our conference.

We were also missing klefbom and sekera for a good portion of the year. You don't get #1 in trades, you get them in drafts. If we had a healthy sekera and klefbom all year we are a playoff team.

Reactions: North and belair

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

GA isn't a measure of defenseman prowess.

The last ranked team in GA in 2017-2018 was the first ranked team in GA in 2018-2019. The Islanders allowed 100 fewer goals with no change to the defensive unit, just a few less man games lost. In their case, this is big thanks to goaltending.

But generally, offense and defense are both under the umbrella of possession as one unique thing. The difference is with offense you need to both control the puck AND have finishing ability where in defense you mostly just need to have the puck more than the other guy. This is why LA has had good defensive results generally, but poor offensive result with strong possession numbers.

Fix the Oilers middle-six forwards and the GA will drop drastically. If they can get goaltending, this would help a lot too. This same top-six, only worse because Nurse and Benning were lesser players back then, got the Oilers to 212 GA with .918 goaltending.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Nuge

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
We were also missing klefbom and sekera for a good portion of the year. You don't get #1 in trades, you get them in drafts. If we had a healthy sekera and klefbom all year we are a playoff team.

The Oilers actually had it pretty easy this year in terms of man games lost. Expecting us to be be healthier isnt likely.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
The Oilers actually had it pretty easy this year in terms of man games lost. Expecting us to be be healthier isnt likely.
When you have a deep team you can afford to lose players. Our defense lost 2 of our 4 best d for prolonged time. We had a rookie step in to a top 4 roll because our depth dried up really quick.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
The defense on this team is mediocre as hell and offensively inept but even they would manage to look better with something better than a shooter tutor in goal behind them. They weren't good in 16-17 either but Talbot was and that was good enough in regular season, at least.

Though at some point this is all sort of a false dichotomy. The Oilers need help at forward, defense, and goal.

Reactions: Bobblehead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad