Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where Creativity is murdered by Skepticism and the Salary Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
There is some chatter in the prospects board that the Rangers would love to move up and would be willing to retain 50% on Kreider's salary to do so. Because of the expansion draft I am leary to trade a high end pick, but that said, Kreider would be a fantastic addition to this team, but only has one season left on his deal. The Rangers have some interesting pieces.

Is moving down from 8 to 22ish worth one season of Kreider? Not that we couldn't resign him, but he will be looking for 6-7 million on his next deal I would think. We'd still get a solid prospect in that range, just likely not as impactful, but players like Bobby Brink, Nils Hoglander, Jakob Pelletier, Moritz Seider, are likely available in that range.
I like Chris kreider, but he’s a guy who has never hit 30 goals and has never hit 55 points. I think the only way you could entertain the deal would he if a contract case guaranteed to be signed in the day he could (I believe July 1) and at a number under $6M. He’s not a good enough player to both drop 1/2 way down a round and sign to a premium contract.

If you’re going to be signing him to that kind of deal I’d just as soon forgot the pick and take a run at a guy like Lee or Nelson who I believe are both UFAs and have very similar production to kreider.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
There is some chatter in the prospects board that the Rangers would love to move up and would be willing to retain 50% on Kreider's salary to do so. Because of the expansion draft I am leary to trade a high end pick, but that said, Kreider would be a fantastic addition to this team, but only has one season left on his deal. The Rangers have some interesting pieces.

Is moving down from 8 to 22ish worth one season of Kreider? Not that we couldn't resign him, but he will be looking for 6-7 million on his next deal I would think. We'd still get a solid prospect in that range, just likely not as impactful, but players like Bobby Brink, Nils Hoglander, Jakob Pelletier, Moritz Seider, are likely available in that range.

If you're trading #8, you need to be getting someone who is locked in at a decent value contract for at least 3-4 years, IMO.

Reactions: 780il

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
I would not trade the 8th OA for Kadri . I would do the 8th OA + Russell for Zucker and the 12th OA and the 12th OA for Kadri .

RNH McD Draisaitl
Zucker Kadri Gagner/Chiasson

Agreed. Wouldn’t trade 8 flat out for Kadri. I’ve seen the potential scenario of us moving down to 12 and snagging Zucker in return posted a few times and I would do that without any hesitation.

12 for Kadri at this point might be pretty steep. But his contract is pretty valuable and is just a season removed from back to back 30 goal seasons.

Another player from Toronto I can see us making a push for us Brown. With rumours that we tried acquiring him at the deadline and his history with Mcdavid in the OHL, I wouldn’t mind taking a flyer on him.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
If we could turn Russell and 8 into Kadri and Zucker I'd be impressed. Those two make us a deep team.

Draisaitl - McDavid - xxxxxx
Zucker - Nuge - xxxxxx
xxxxxx - Kadri - xxxxxx

I'm not completely enamored with the idea of trading a top 10 pick for players 10 years older, but getting rid of Russell to open up Jones' spot kills two birds with one stone.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
If we could turn Russell and 8 into Kadri and Zucker I'd be impressed. Those two make us a deep team.

Draisaitl - McDavid - xxxxxx
Zucker - Nuge - xxxxxx
xxxxxx - Kadri - xxxxxx

I'm not completely enamored with the idea of trading a top 10 pick for players 10 years older, but getting rid of Russell to open up Jones' spot kills two birds with one stone.

I normally don’t like opening spots for specific players, because anything can happen with an individuals development over a summer, but we have so many possibilities for that slot that moving Russell should be a priority. Can’t fail. I wouldn’t clear any more than that though. Subtract 1 vet, ideally Russell.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I normally don’t like opening spots for specific players, because anything can happen with an individuals development over a summer, but we have so many possibilities for that slot that moving Russell should be a priority. Can’t fail. I wouldn’t clear any more than that though. Subtract 1 vet, ideally Russell.
Neither am I, however we have so many defenseman coming up that in this case we almost have to. We probably need two of Jones/Bear/Lagesson/Persson up next season for Bouchard and Samorukov to develop in Bakersfield.

Reactions: B33K33PING

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Neither am I, however we have so many defenseman coming up that in this case we almost have to. We probably need two of Jones/Bear/Lagesson/Persson up next season for Bouchard and Samorukov to develop in Bakersfield.

Somebody in the prospect group will also have to be traded or they will die on the vine. I don’t know who or when or what for, but some time in the next year for sure.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Cap-space.

fc1206ef-c5ae-4aee-b399-ddc5f204007e.png

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Cap-space.

fc1206ef-c5ae-4aee-b399-ddc5f204007e.png

Why would Van take Lucic? They already have Ericsson and Sutters bad contracts.

Flames have plenty of young D coming up and have Tkachuk and Bennett to sign.

Why trade Benning before we know if our D prospects turn out at the NHL level.

This team gets the living shit kicked out of it 3 nights out of 4.

Reactions: RebuildTheRebuild

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Why would Van take Lucic? They already have Ericsson and Sutters bad contracts.
Try and stop players taking liberties with Pettersson. Doesn't have to be Vancouver but Lucic at $3 mil has to have some interest around the league.

Flames have plenty of young D coming up and have Tkachuk and Bennett to sign.
Flames over-haul their team this summer.

Why trade Benning before we know if our D prospects turn out at the NHL level.
Nah, unreasonable to think not one of our prospects can tread water at #6 next season. Jones is already there.

This team gets the living **** kicked out of it 3 nights out of 4.
~$14 million in cap not used yet.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Try and stop players taking liberties with Pettersson. Doesn't have to be Vancouver but Lucic at $3 mil has to have some interest around the league.

I get the rationale but Van won’t be pursuing Lucic when they have over $10M in dud contracts already. Lucic also controls his fate. But yeah if we retain $3M someone >may< take him where he would agree to go. Still think we can’t / don’t trade him till after the season after next July 1 with less salary retained and the bulk of his salary paid.

Flames over-haul their team this summer.

No indications an overhaul is coming and least of the places they need to overhaul is D. They have lots of good D in the pipeline. Plus we don’t want to retain.

Nah, unreasonable to think not one of our prospects can tread water at #6 next season. Jones is already there.

Our D depth is still suspect and we move out 2 experienced D for 2 rookies? No thanks.

~$14 million in cap not used yet.

I get what your trying to do. Not sure the scenario you presented is realistic.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is it really even worth having cap space to spend on what exactly? More long term contracts (because no UFA is going to go short on term as its their job security) that we probably end up regretting in a year?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Is it really even worth having cap space to spend on what exactly? More long term contracts (because no UFA is going to go short on term as its their job security) that we probably end up regretting in a year?
Pretty much. The only reason to open cap space is if you're trading picks/prospects for roster players.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

There will be players available from cap strapped teams signing large 2nd contracts.

Jets, Leafs, Bolts and others. You want to be able to be in the conversation to try to get mid level players from those teams.

Either way I agree keep away from high priced free agents.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I wouldn't mind a trade of Nurse for Parayko. It balances out our D-core. Does STL do it though?

2019/20 D
Klefbomb/Larsson
Sekera/Parayko
Jones/Benning
Persson

Somehow, some way Russell's contract is traded.

Trajectory of prospects
2019/20: Bouchard, Bear, Lagesson, and Samorukov spend much of the year in the AHL.
2020/21: Benning rides off into the sunset as a UFA, Bouchard is our new 3RD. I think it'd be wise to run 8D so that we can keep Lagesson & Bear (trade Persson unless it's clear he should be kept over Bear).
2021/22: Larsson and Sekera ride off into the sunset as UFA's. I wouldn't mind extending Larsson for a couple years if he's open to it (I'd rather have a veteran on the 2nd pairing than two players lacking NHL experience).

Possible D-Core in 2021/22
Klefbomb/Parayko
Jones/Larsson
Lagesson/Bouchard
Bear

I suppose it depends on which 2nd pairing you would prefer...
Jones/Larsson or Sekera/Bouchard

Problem: In this model, when there's an opening at 2LD or 2RD (we let Larsson or Sekera go), will one of Jones, Lagesson, or Bouchard be able to step into the top 4? I think I'd rather wait until 2022/23 to give Bouchard the nod as a permanent fixture in our top 4.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Chose not to sign him for whatever reason. Some media said he told them he wouldn't sign but there doesn't seem to be any real proof of that.
We wanted him to work on his defense in Sweden. The Oilers didn't want to bring him over immediately.

He scored twice as many points this season than he had at any level in his entire career. At 27, that just seems like a lightning in a bottle kind of season. Fortunately for Chicago they've got him for one more year before they need to extend him.

North

Jun 25, 2009
We wanted him to work on his defense in Sweden. The Oilers didn't want to bring him over immediately.

He scored twice as many points this season than he had at any level in his entire career. At 27, that just seems like a lightning in a bottle kind of season. Fortunately for Chicago they've got him for one more year before they need to extend him.

I think the problem with that was they drafted him as an overager and once the two years were up he could sign with anyone that would give him a better opportunity.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
How ironic that the salary cap that the Oilers so desired to help them compete is now keeping them from doing so.

The salary cap also hurts us as Canadian taxes are too high vs US taxes and Edmonton isn’t exactly Vegas weather and things to do wise not to mention one of the worst major cities in North America for direct flights unless you like flying to Ft Mac and Inuvik a lot.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think the problem with that was they drafted him with an overager and once the two years were up he could sign with anyone that would give him a better opportunity.
Yeah, my memory is foggy on the specifics. He just seems like a guy who needed a perfect storm for that to happen.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I wouldn't mind a trade of Nurse for Parayko. It balances out our D-core. Does STL do it though?
Maybe they do it if the Oilers take Jake Allen off their hands?

Nurse, Brodziak, Manning for Parayko and Allen

This would give the Oilers a mediocre 1A and 1B goalie rotation but with the right system in place they can be like Lehner and Griess in NYI lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad