Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Where Creativity is murdered by Skepticism and the Salary Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think CHI comes close to OTT.. They have had to give up a lot of talent since their cup wins.

Cap casualties galore

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Taken from main board. List of what Ottawa has given up, with the question has any other team given up more?

Robin Lehner vezina nominee
Ben Bishop vezina nominee
Zdeno Chara Norris trophy winger
Nick Foligno captain and 2nd liner
Matt Duchene 1st line center
Ryan Dzingel 2nd line winger
Erik Karlsson 2x Norris winner
Marc Stone selke candidate 1st line winger

Others
Jason Spezza
Marc Methot

Heatley
Alfie
Havlat
Fisher
Hoffman

Spezza was still a first line C when we gave him up

Hossa

Turris
Zibanejad

Lol wow I have to keep editing to add players

No wonder I don’t cheer for these idiots anymore

...Brassard
Volchenkov
Hasek

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
true true, damn. Although the late 80s early 90s Oilers issue were financial, similar to Ottawa. I also hesiatted to include Pronger or the 2007 trades because Lowe brought in alot of those guys for a lower price in the first place
Why did you include foligno and methot though, they were traded for eachother.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I like the idea of going hard after Subban. He's not the player he was, but he's someone that can still insulate defenceman lower on the roster.

If it takes something like the 8th, Benson/Yamamoto/Puljujarvi/Jones, and Sekera (for the cap). Then I think that's the kind of trade you need to go for.

If you upgrade the offence from the backend, then that helps your forwards even if you don't upgrade them directly.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Yamamoto*-RNH-Puljujarvi*
Lucic-Khaira-Gagner
Gambardella-Brodziak-Russell
Cave

Nurse-Subban
Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Jones/Bear/Bouchard/Persson

*I'm suggesting Yama and Pulju, as they still have the highest upside in my eyes; however I have that second line as an open competition between those two plus Benson, Marody, and even Gambardella and Currie (basically whoever doesn't go in my supposed Subban deal). Gagner drives the offence for the soft minutes parade/3rd line, and the 4th line gives you a couple cheap grinders to rotate through for defensive starts.
Oh hell no

He's 30 and declining hard. Did you watch him in the playoffs this year? f***ing terrible. I'd puke if we gave up our 1st for him and Lucic didn't go the other way.

Reactions: Faelko

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Idk, I think the deal would have to be right, but God damn we need forward talent.

But I'd probably do something to the effect of like looch + brodz + Manning for Turris @ 2m retained. We get short term cap relief + chance Turris can maybe score 15, Nash gets long-term cap relief and some push back.

Still kinda tough to swallow though.

You're saying that getting Turris at 4M for 5 years for nearly 6M in cap space with Lucic, Brodziak and Manning going the other way would be tough to swallow?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Oh hell no

He's 30 and declining hard. Did you watch him in the playoffs this year? ****ing terrible. I'd puke if we gave up our 1st for him and Lucic didn't go the other way.

I'd do Lucic + Larsson for Subban in a heartbeat.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You're saying that getting Turris at 4M for 5 years for nearly 6M in cap space with Lucic, Brodziak and Manning going the other way would be tough to swallow?

I would likely break my neck going so fast trying to do the paperwork to finalize that deal, so, at least for me, swallowing would become impossible, because of the resulting paralyzation, assuming I even survived.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Turris produced less than Lucic this year... And I dont think Turris is throwing near as many checks or doing this;

Turris is also a year older than Looch. That contract is f***ing awful. Probably the worst in the league, tbh. Its likely still the worst in the league at 4 million if he doesn't improve. Turris brings literally nothing if he isn't scoring, whereas looch atleast is a good checker and scares the shit out of half the league.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Turris produced less than Lucic this year... And I dont think Turris is throwing near as many checks or doing this;

Turris is also a year older than Looch. That contract is ****ing awful. Probably the worst in the league, tbh. Its likely still the worst in the league at 4 million if he doesn't improve. Turris brings literally nothing if he isn't scoring, whereas looch atleast is a good checker and scares the **** out of half the league.

At 4m left you could buy that sucker out and call it a day having got rid of the Lucic nightmare buyout proof contract. Turris buyout then would be 1.333 for 10 years. Still a bummer but you are saving a lot for the most important years in the near term. Moot point though, since Nashville would never take Lucic. No team serious about winning ASAP would unless they are drunk.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
At 4m left you could buy that sucker out and call it a day having got rid of the Lucic nightmare buyout proof contract

And have 2 million dead cap for 10 years? Thats completely awful.

Also, as an aside, I love how disappointed Nurse is in that clip that Killorn wont fight him. LOL. What a beauty.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
And have 2 million dead cap for 10 years? Thats completely awful.

In your scenario with the retention it would be 1.333. Since we need to win now, I definitely like that over Lucic's buyout that gets us barely anything over the next 4 years. We basically have 3-4 years now to give Drai and McDavid a reason to stick around beyond their current deals. If we are still just treading water for that long...well I guess we can look forward to Lowe's Rebuild 4.0

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
In your scenario with the retention it would be 1.333. Since we need to win now, I definitely like that over Lucic's buyout that gets us barely anything over the next 4 years. We basically have 3-4 years now to give Drai and McDavid a reason to stick around beyond their current deals.

No it would be 2 million, per capfriendly. His original buyout without retention is 3 million for 10 years.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
No it would be 2 million, per capfriendly. His original buyout without retention is 3 million for 10 years.

2/3 of 6m is 4m for 5 years, spread over 10 years that is 2m a year. 2/3 of 4m is 2.66m over 5 years, which becomes 1.33 over 10. Nashville would be on the hook for 0.67m over those 10 years.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Heatley
Alfie
Havlat
Fisher
Hoffman

Spezza was still a first line C when we gave him up

Hossa

Turris
Zibanejad

Lol wow I have to keep editing to add players

No wonder I don’t cheer for these idiots anymore

...Brassard
Volchenkov
Hasek
That list is nothing. If you keep adding, i could add arnott, weight, guerin, richardson, joseph, marchant. These are quality players within those years where we kept facing the dallas stars. Our team got gutted into nothingness near the end of the Sather era until Kevin Lowe right the ship with a York for Peca and Brewer with garbage for Pronger.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
2/3 of 6m is 4m for 5 years, spread over 10 years that is 2m a year. 2/3 of 4m is 2.66m over 5 years, which becomes 1.33 over 10. Nashville would be on the hook for 0.67m over those 10 years.

Yeah, you're right. Still, i think that is a lot of dead cap for a looong time.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yeah, you're right. Still, i think that is a lot of dead cap for a looong time.

In the end, something like that would be a reasonable cost of trying to save these crucial next 4 years by reducing the cap burden of Lucic. With more cap increases and no more stupid buyouts like the pouliot and gryba ones and a team should be able to manage.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
In the end, something like that would be a reasonable cost of trying to save these crucial next 4 years by reducing the cap burden of Lucic. With more cap increases and no more stupid buyouts like the pouliot and gryba ones and a team should be able to manage.

I still think Turris is a higher cap burden than Lucic. By far.

Even at his worst Lucic is still useful. At Turris' worst he's actively not helping.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
true true, damn. Although the late 80s early 90s Oilers issue were financial, similar to Ottawa. I also hesiatted to include Pronger or the 2007 trades because Lowe brought in alot of those guys for a lower price in the first place
What would have happened had we kept Cujo all the way until 2006?

We gave up a first for roloson. That first could have been dangled for extra firepower up front to join hemsky and samsonov. Or we still trade for roloson so we most likely would not have seen the Conkanen combo in the finals. Imagine a Roloson and Cujo combo. That for sure would guarantee us the cup.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
I love how the playoffs went down.

Six teams from the eight teams with the best odds of winning have gone out. All of Calgary, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington and Winnipeg expected conference finals at minimum.

Toronto capitulated in Game 7. Vegas blew a 3-1 series lead.

If the playoffs had gone as expected, you would have teams like Carolina, Dallas and NYI patting themselves on the back for making it into the playoffs. The "big" teams would have had good enough runs that they wouldn't feel a need to shake up the roster.

But this? These crazy playoffs? There are just so many pissed off organizations who will be looking to revamp their rosters.

A lot of good players could shake loose.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I still think Turris is a higher cap burden than Lucic. By far.

Even at his worst Lucic is still useful. At Turris' worst he's actively not helping.

Lucic's buyout for the next 4 years would be far worse though. 3.625M, 5.625M, 4.125M, 5.625M. Those 2nd and 4th years are just brutal, especially if there is some kinda of economic downturn finally and the cap increases go through a weak run.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Oh hell no

He's 30 and declining hard. Did you watch him in the playoffs this year? ****ing terrible. I'd puke if we gave up our 1st for him and Lucic didn't go the other way.

People are so enamoured with the name but don’t actually watch him play. There’s a reason why other NHL players think he’s nothing more than an overpaid slap shot.

He can’t defend full stop. He’s on the wrong side of 30.

If he’s not scoring, he’s pretty much useless.

Subban is not someone you give up significant assets to acquire.

A bad team that acquires him will remain bad and have depleted their prospect cupboard.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I love how the playoffs went down.

Six teams from the eight teams with the best odds of winning have gone out. All of Calgary, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington and Winnipeg expected conference finals at minimum.

Toronto capitulated in Game 7. Vegas blew a 3-1 series lead.

If the playoffs had gone as expected, you would have teams like Carolina, Dallas and NYI patting themselves on the back for making it into the playoffs. The "big" teams would have had good enough runs that they wouldn't feel a need to shake up the roster.

But this? These crazy playoffs? There are just so many pissed off organizations who will be looking to revamp their rosters.

A lot of good players could shake loose.

A lot will simply due to a lot of those teams looking at cap troubles next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad