Rumor: Rumors and Fake News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I am not convinced this is a tank year until I see what kind return we get for Pacioretty.

I really still think MB believes this is a playoff team and he will actively be making moves to try and make the playoffs.

At the end of the day, that's literally what he said he would do and he basically always does the dumbass things he says in his pressers. He doesn't deserve any faith at all at this point. We need actions not this bullshit "oh well he doesn't need to SAY he's tanking, he's just doing it for the cameras but secretly he is trying to tank."

Sorry but Galchenyuk for Domi is not a tanking move. It's a move from a guy who still stupidly thinks more grit and attitude is what we need.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I am not convinced this is a tank year until I see what kind return we get for Pacioretty.

I really still think MB believes this is a playoff team and he will actively be making moves to try and make the playoffs.

At the end of the day, that's literally what he said he would do and he basically always does the dumbass things he says in his pressers. He doesn't deserve any faith at all at this point. We need actions not this bull**** "oh well he doesn't need to SAY he's tanking, he's just doing it for the cameras but secretly he is trying to tank."

Sorry but Galchenyuk for Domi is not a tanking move. It's a move from a guy who still stupidly thinks more grit and attitude is what we need.
If this was the case...you'd likely have seen Bergevin offer guys like Tyler Bozak or Calvin De Haan deals they couldn't refuse.

I mean, other than attempting to be one of the teams in the JT sweepstakes or kicking the tires on ROR (2 things that he should of done regardless), I don't think we can say that Bergevin is thinking make the playoffs at all costs this year.

Look at the Armia trade...those aren't the actions of a GM trying to save his job and thinking about the immediate.

They're more of the actions of a GM whose firmly entrenched and who is attempting to reset the course of the organization.

One thing I will say though, I absolutely do not think the Habs are in "tank" mode per se...but I do think they look at their roster, that's pretty young especially up front and they're just going to let the chips fall wherever they may fall.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If this was the case...you'd likely have seen Bergevin offer guys like Tyler Bozak or Calvin De Haan deals they couldn't refuse.

I mean, other than attempting to be one of the teams in the JT sweepstakes or kicking the tires on ROR (2 things that he should of done regardless), I don't think we can say that Bergevin is thinking make the playoffs at all costs this year.

Look at the Armia trade...those aren't the actions of a GM trying to save his job and thinking about the immediate.

They're more of the actions of a GM whose firmly entrenched and who is attempting to reset the course of the organization.

One thing I will say though, I absolutely do not think the Habs are in "tank" mode per se...but I do think they look at their roster, that's pretty young especially up front and they're just going to let the chips fall wherever they may fall.

I'd say that the Montreal Canadiens benefit most likely now from the Armia move than at any other time. It's a good move, but not exactly a rebuilding one. We got the best player in the trade and an NHL one at that. I would say that the move was good even if we were a lot closer to the cap ceiling as a result of it.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'd say that the Montreal Canadiens benefit most likely now from the Armia move than at any other time. It's a good move, but not exactly a rebuilding one. We got the best player in the trade and an NHL one at that. I would say that the move was good even if we were a lot closer to the cap ceiling as a result of it.
Sure but it's not the type of trade a team looking to make the playoffs, makes as basically its only offseason move (so far at least).

Furthermore, a team looking to make the playoffs doesn't shop it's captain and best forward.

These aren't the actions of a GM desperately trying to save his job this year.

But MB's a different dude, there's little rhyme or reason to what he does, so I could be misreading this whole thing.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Sure but it's not the type of trade a team looking to make the playoffs, makes as basically its only offseason move (so far at least).

It kinda is, though. We added a pretty useful player to our roster. It's just that most playoff teams don't have the kind of cap space necessary to pull it off.

Furthermore, a team looking to make the playoffs doesn't shop it's captain and best forward.

But MB's a different dude, there's little rhyme or reason to what he does, so I could be misreading this whole thing.

Officially he hasn't done that yet, though. Of course that means nothing: there's so much smoke that there pretty well has to be fire. But so far as I know Bergevin hasn't publicly said he's even looking to trade him, that I've seen.

I think people are nervous because we don't have a clear indication either in words or action that Bergevin's going to do the right thing here.

Reactions: groovejuice and 417

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Let's not mention trade deadline 2017 lol. What in the world was that?
"So Dwight, what do you think you can bring yo the team?" - Reporter
"You know, I'm here to answer their questions about winning a cup."-Dwight King

Still cracks me up. He knew that he would be absolutely no help to the team by actually playing hockey. His only purpose was to answer any questions the team has about winning a cup since he's a vet whose won.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

I think there are many posters on this board, that spend time thinking about making the Habs better, than MB...he has absolutely no vision or plan and readily admits it, and still Molson watches, and does nothing.
The day at a PC when he admitted he did not believe in windows of opportunity, I just about lost it..........for a GM of a team, in the NHL say this was beyond reason. His decisions have only gotten worse, day by day...

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I think there are many posters on this board, that spend time thinking about making the Habs better, than MB...he has absolutely no vision or plan and readily admits it, and still Molson watches, and does nothing.
The day at a PC when he admitted he did not believe in windows of opportunity, I just about lost it..........for a GM of a team, in the NHL say this was beyond reason. His decisions have only gotten worse, day by day...
When Bergevin says the doesn't believe in windows what he's really saying is that he believes that he can open and close them whenever he wants. So the window is "open" if he says it's open. He can rationalize that it hasn't closed long after the rest of the world knows that it's not only closed but bolted shut.

Either that or he's saying that he just prefers using a Mac or some old school DOS commands instead of Microsoft's stuff.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Back to fake news.

We've seen ad hoc writers from several teams make a pitch for their team to land Pacioretty however everyone have them has featured a common theme -- they all believe that Pacioretty can be had at a discount.

This pro-Ducks writer is no different. Here are the trades he proposes:

His "Option A":

ANAHEIM DUCKS GET
MAX PACIORETTY

MONTREAL CANADIENS GET
JAKOB SILFVERBERG, MARCUS PETTERSSON, 2020 3RD ROUND PICK (UPGRADED TO THE 2ND ROUND IF PACIORETTY SIGNS AN EXTENSION)

His "Option B":

ANAHEIM DUCKS GET
MAX PACIORETTY, 2019 3RD ROUND PICK

MONTREAL CANADIENS GET
JAKOB SILFVERBERG, MAX JONES, ANDY WELINSKI, 2020 3RD ROUND PICK (UPGRADED TO THE 2ND ROUND IF PACIORETTY SIGNS AN EXTENSION)
______________________________________________________________________________________

Thoughts on these? How is there no 1st round pick in any of these scenarios, especially if Pacioretty agrees to an extension?

The writer concludes:

Anytime a team can add a 60 point scorer, it takes them another step towards the Cup. If the Ducks can do it I am on board, management owes it to Getzlaf, Kesler and Corey Perry to give them all the tools to bring the Stanley Cup back to Anaheim. It’s not often a player of this quality is available. The Ducks are closer to a championship with Patches on the roster than without him.

Former Anaheim Ducks Goalie, Ray Emery Passes Away: Honoring his Memory

So if the bolded, above, is true, should they not be willing to overpay to land him?

Reactions: Sterling Archer

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Is there any way of knowing that he didn't have interest in those guys? He might have attempted to sign them and they had no interest in Montreal.

Reactions: Peanut

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Back to fake news.

We've seen ad hoc writers from several teams make a pitch for their team to land Pacioretty however everyone have them has featured a common theme -- they all believe that Pacioretty can be had at a discount.

This pro-Ducks writer is no different. Here are the trades he proposes:

His "Option A":

ANAHEIM DUCKS GET
MAX PACIORETTY

MONTREAL CANADIENS GET
JAKOB SILFVERBERG, MARCUS PETTERSSON, 2020 3RD ROUND PICK (UPGRADED TO THE 2ND ROUND IF PACIORETTY SIGNS AN EXTENSION)

His "Option B":

ANAHEIM DUCKS GET
MAX PACIORETTY, 2019 3RD ROUND PICK

MONTREAL CANADIENS GET
JAKOB SILFVERBERG, MAX JONES, ANDY WELINSKI, 2020 3RD ROUND PICK (UPGRADED TO THE 2ND ROUND IF PACIORETTY SIGNS AN EXTENSION)
______________________________________________________________________________________

Thoughts on these? How is there no 1st round pick in any of these scenarios, especially if Pacioretty agrees to an extension?

The writer concludes:

Anytime a team can add a 60 point scorer, it takes them another step towards the Cup. If the Ducks can do it I am on board, management owes it to Getzlaf, Kesler and Corey Perry to give them all the tools to bring the Stanley Cup back to Anaheim. It’s not often a player of this quality is available. The Ducks are closer to a championship with Patches on the roster than without him.

Former Anaheim Ducks Goalie, Ray Emery Passes Away: Honoring his Memory

So if the bolded, above, is true, should they not be willing to overpay to land him?

Forget overpay, how about address what Montreal would want or a reasonable pay. This gives Montreal less to build on than a rental Plekanec brought. Sifverberg is solid, but he's two years younger than Pacioretty and a winger. Valiev is a comparable D to Pettersson and more valuable than Welinski.

Reactions: Peanut and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Here's one from a Panthers writer's perspective:

One of the most rumored teams to be going after Pacioretty’s services has been the Florida Panthers. There have been numerous rumblings and rumors that point to Pacioretty suiting up in a Panthers jersey dating all the way back to the trade deadline. The Panthers were the clear front-runner for Pacioretty’s talents back at the deadline, and it appears that they still are to this very day.

OK, where is he getting this? Are there still talks going on with FLA?

One of the reasons why the Cats continue to stand as the leader to acquire Pacioretty is simply because he wants to be a Florida Panther. Back near the deadline, Pacioretty apparently mentioned to the Candiens organization that he would prefer a trade to the Panthers:

“His feelings were so strong, in fact, that Pacioretty even identified the Florida Panthers as one of his preferred destinations” –per Friedman.
Perhaps one of the reason why a trade hasn’t been completed with anybody yet is Pacioretty’s reluctance to sign a long-term contract extension with any other team besides the Florida Panthers.

With Tampa Bay and Toronto all improving this offseason, it puts even more pressure on the Panthers to bring in another piece. If Florida want to show that they are up there with the big boys, then they’ll need to play with the same type of tactics.

It’s still up in the air where Max Pacioretty will play hockey next season, but when he does get moved, don’t be surprised if the Panthers bring Pacioretty down to Sunrise, Florida, ultimately granting him his wish.

Florida Panthers: How Competitive Can the Cats be?

The writer acknowledges that it'll probably take Bjugstad, a prospect and a 1st round pick to land Pacioretty and makes a compelling argument as to why FLA should move on him. How much of this is really reflecting how FLA management looks upon the matter?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I suspect that these team bloggers are just fans with pretentions who paid a little money to buy themselves a domain online. I doubt they've got much in the way of inside information. They probably just regurgitate rumors they read from other sources with suspect credibility. Rumors get "legs" when enough people re-post, re-tweet or otherwise pass on bogus information picked up elsewhere. It's just misinformation feeding upon itself.

Eklund has been doing his thing long enough that now some people consider him an actual credible news source. But you never see, hear or read any of the established, bona-fide journalists quoting any of his rumors in their columns, radio hits or twitter feeds even though he cribs from theirs with a vengeance. He tries to get people to believe that the reason he uses an alias is because he's an actual journalist who would be unable to get the scoops if his identity was widely known. He thinks he's the Banksy of NHL pundits or something. In actual fact, he's probably just another internet legend who lives in his mom's basement and fantasizes about trades that will never happen.

He is smart in one regard though. He knows how to bait people for clicks. He learned a long time ago that the way to get lots of traffic on his site is to include the Habs and Leafs in as many rumors as possible. Their fanbases are like moths to the proverbial flame.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Simply put if MB was doing everything for playoffs and to "save his job" he would of signed Bozak or Statsney or Perron and he would of moved our 1st this year or next for ROR. He probably also would of extended Max.

I don't know what more people want. We took the 5th worst team in the league, traded our 2nd best F and have our best F ready to be moved. And our 1D is injured till December and no rumblings about trying to replace him.

I find it ironic that the fans that bashed the team so much are all of a sudden thinking this team and MB have tricks up their sleeve.

I think the issue is simply put that some people think that somehow MB will get credit for the team tanking so they don't want to say its a tank job. MB doesn't get credit the tank is because of his failures.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The writer acknowledges that it'll probably take Bjugstad, a prospect and a 1st round pick to land Pacioretty and makes a compelling argument as to why FLA should move on him. How much of this is really reflecting how FLA management looks upon the matter?

I wonder if Bjugstad still makes sense* for the Habs?

Before Pleks and Peca were signed and Kotka was drafted, I thought that it made sense. NB could have helped right away and (possibly) filled the #2 spot down the road. Now they have Pleks/Peca in the short-term and Kotka added to the mix to fill the #2 spot (at least).

No need for another center unless he's projected to be better than Kotka (Hughes, Newhook, Dach)

* many hold the opinion that it never made sense

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I suspect that these team bloggers are just fans with pretentions who paid a little money to buy themselves a domain online. I doubt they've got much in the way of inside information. They probably just regurgitate rumors they read from other sources with suspect credibility. Rumors get "legs" when enough people re-post, re-tweet or otherwise pass on bogus information picked up elsewhere. It's just misinformation feeding upon itself.

I don't think you're wrong in terms of how much credibility these bloggers have. They are mostly tidbit aggregators who piece together a few paragraphs but who rarely break anything. I'm merely bringing their thoughts in here to foster potential trade discussion to the extent anything they say is salvageable.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Nobody should be convinced that it is a tank year until there's an impactful move to support it. (trades Max, Weber or Price, with futures being the key pieces coming back.)

OTOH, nothing to suggest that he's gunning for the playoffs either.

The team is in limbo. Like you wrote, let's wait see what he does with Max.

Reactions: Peanut and Redux91

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
To trade Max you have to get a blue chip prospect centre and a 1st otherwise just keep him for now.We are going nowhere next year so MB should be in no rush.He holds all the cards.Someone will come knocking before the season starts.Cat and mouse game.

If that's the case then we'll be letting Max walk for nothing on July 1st next year.

I dont think any team in the NHL will come close to giving that up for Max at this point. Maybe if he returns to a normal production rate next season and also agrees to sign a reasonable extension with the team trading for him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If that's the case then we'll be letting Max walk for nothing on July 1st next year.

I dont think any team in the NHL will come close to giving that up for Max at this point. Maybe if he returns to a normal production rate next season and also agrees to sign a reasonable extension with the team trading for him.

I just hate the fact of counting on a Pacioretty extension for a sizeable return as we all know how difficult it is to get a sign and trade done.

I'd rather believe that Pacioretty's value will be based on his remaining contract year and nothing further. It's really too bad that trading Pacioretty hasn't happened when he had more term on his contract.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
All the rumours in the world are great and all but nothing changes the fact a ton of teams still have a ton of cap and want to be competitive. Patches gets you there.

The fact people keep saying Montreal has no leverage is dumb. We have an impact player that will benefit any team and multiple teams to trade him to. If any one of those teams what’s him, well then they’ll have to pay the price. If not, they’ll lose him and a player who can help them compete for a cup. That’s all the motivation any one team needs. Not to mention he’s dirt cheap and Habs can still pick up half his salary if they wanted to sweeten the pot and give other team more space to load up.

All this talk about giving him away is beyond dumb.

Reactions: scrubadam

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
All the rumours in the world are great and all but nothing changes the fact a ton of teams still have a ton of cap and want to be competitive. Patches gets you there.

The fact people keep saying Montreal has no leverage is dumb. We have an impact player that will benefit any team and multiple teams to trade him to. If any one of those teams what’s him, well then they’ll have to pay the price. If not, they’ll lose him and a player who can help them compete for a cup. That’s all the motivation any one team needs. Not to mention he’s dirt cheap and Habs can still pick up half his salary if they wanted to sweeten the pot and give other team more space to load up.

All this talk about giving him away is beyond dumb.

You dont think there is any chance of a Vanek like ending at the trade deadline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad