Rumor: Rumors and Fake News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
We are officially in the dog days of summer. Nothing is going to happen for at least another month and a half, I agree. I'd say Bergevin will ignite more trade talks with teams in the weeks leading up to training camp. I seriously doubt Pacioretty won't be here on opening night. Team's already have a good idea of what their rosters will be like to start the season. I would be very surprised if a team traded for Pacioretty before training camp.

I think we have a Duchene situation on our hands here. Pacioretty will be here to start the season, and trade talks won't heat up again until probably late November to early December.
The problem with the Duchene comparable is that he was signed for another full season. Changes the dynamic a lot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So Bruce, what are you thinking? That Pacioretty can be had at a bargain right now?

Reactions: groovejuice

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If the value is not there for Patches now, keep him until the deadline. Stripping him of the captaincy might do wonders for his game, and more importantly, net us a better return.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If the value is not there for Patches now, keep him until the deadline. Stripping him of the captaincy might do wonders for his game, and more importantly, net us a better return.

It's a contract year and he'll be hungry to prove himself to get his BIG contract. Only downside to him playing for the Habs to start the year is he'll be scoring goals we won't want him to score! though it's unlikely it'll be the cause of too many wins.

A team who knows this will want him reguardless. Highly unlikely he doesn't score 30+ goals this year. Question is how many will be for the Habs and how many for his new team?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This author obviously is making **** up off the top of his head and is clueless...

"Pacioretty could provide a lot of help to the Stars’ offense. He would be a great second line left-winger behind Jamie Benn, and he’d also help out on the power play."

Of course he is. However, it was just to underscore how pundits from this market and others think they can get Pacioretty for less just because of what MAG reported Bergevin to have said recently.

Reactions: groovejuice

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's a contract year and he'll be hungry to prove himself to get his BIG contract. Only downside to him playing for the Habs to start the year is he'll be scoring goals we won't want him to score! though it's unlikely it'll be the cause of too many wins.

A team who knows this will want him reguardless. Highly unlikely he doesn't score 30+ goals this year. Question is how many will be for the Habs and how many for his new team?
Meh, besides Pacioretty, we don't have a goalscorer. I seriously doubt he will do anything to hinder a much better pick. Pacioretty bouncing back can seriously net us a better return at the deadline than right now. I don't think it's unlikely he scores 30+ goals this year, but I don't see him doing it as the captain because he seriously can't handle it. I would personally strip him from being captain, and just roll with Gally, Plek, Pacioretty as the A's.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Nobody will pay for Pacioretty at the deadline, he becomes a free agent next summer, the time to trade him was at the 2018 tdl.
Can't agree. Firstly, I think if we traded him at the deadline, the return wouldn't have been as good as some claim here. I truly believe that it would have to be Pacioretty AND Galchenyuk for what McDonagh and Miller went for, which is VERY underwhelming. Secondly, soon to be free agents get traded ALL THE TIME. Somebody will obviously pay for Pacioretty, just like how someone paid for Nash. Not giving up assets for a player that you are VERY interested in solely because he is going to be a free agent is incredibly stupid. "Hey Marc, I like Pacioretty, but I won't give up anything because he will be a free agent". You can easily say "Great. How about you go f*** yourself, and I'll trade him to someone else even for little value so that you will miss out on a guy you would like very much?". You would have to be 100% sure that Pacioretty will sign with your team if you are pulling this trick, and there is no way of telling at the deadline. Surely the Habs will be out of the question as a destination for him next year, but that one team still has 29 teams to worry about.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Meh, besides Pacioretty, we don't have a goalscorer. I seriously doubt he will do anything to hinder a much better pick. Pacioretty bouncing back can seriously net us a better return at the deadline than right now. I don't think it's unlikely he scores 30+ goals this year, but I don't see him doing it as the captain because he seriously can't handle it. I would personally strip him from being captain, and just roll with Gally, Plek, Pacioretty as the A's.

I think he'll be dealt before the start of camp. It's too much of a distraction and a lot of teams still have a LOT of cap space to add him with high expectations. I think a deal gets done and I think he gets a lot more in return than what most people think.

Of course he is. However, it was just to underscore how pundits from this market and others think they can get Pacioretty for less just because of what MAG reported Bergevin to have said recently.

I don't take the words of a pundit who doesn't know what he's talking about to mean that Nill is a simpleton as well. GM's know Patches ain't going to come cheap.

just to play devil's advocate, with the asking price so far being so far, wouldn't it be easier for a GM to give a significant amount of assets to get a premier goal scorer and then turn around and say he got a discount to what the ask was and look like a hero? That's how I'd play it if I was trading for him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What do you guys make of this?

Don't like it. Why does Gallagher need to be in there, he could fetch a king's ransom all his own.

Plus, I don't like that we have to take on Lucic. Easy pass. Pacioretty should be able to fetch what Nash garnered at the last TDL without having to mess with Lucic and his toxic contract and deteriorated play.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Can't agree. Firstly, I think if we traded him at the deadline, the return wouldn't have been as good as some claim here. I truly believe that it would have to be Pacioretty AND Galchenyuk for what McDonagh and Miller went for, which is VERY underwhelming. Secondly, soon to be free agents get traded ALL THE TIME. Somebody will obviously pay for Pacioretty, just like how someone paid for Nash. Not giving up assets for a player that you are VERY interested in solely because he is going to be a free agent is incredibly stupid. "Hey Marc, I like Pacioretty, but I won't give up anything because he will be a free agent". You can easily say "Great. How about you go **** yourself, and I'll trade him to someone else even for little value so that you will miss out on a guy you would like very much?". You would have to be 100% sure that Pacioretty will sign with your team if you are pulling this trick, and there is no way of telling at the deadline. Surely the Habs will be out of the question as a destination for him next year, but that one team still has 29 teams to worry about.
I felt like he should have been traded at last seasons deadline because his new team would have him for 2 potential playoff runs. He is a 30 goal scorer earning 4.5 million a year and I thought it would have been the best time to maximize what we got for him based on his contract.

Reactions: bsl and sandviper

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Don't like it. Why does Gallagher need to be in there, he could fetch a king's ransom all his own.

Plus, I don't like that we have to take on Lucic. Easy pass. Pacioretty should be able to fetch what Nash garnered at the last TDL without having to mess with Lucic and his toxic contract and deteriorated play.
If the Oilers are a bottom feeder then I would do it, as of right now looks bad from habs pov.

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
It would be the funniest **** in the world if MB botched yet another trade and failed to get a center.
It wouldn't be funny.It would be normal.This guy we have for GM was and still is in over his head.Until he is gone we are going to get f***ed over in every trade.He undervalues all of our players and overvalues the players he trades for.That and he always trades our players at the worse time.He never knows when to hold them and when to fold them.Oh but he dresses nice and can speak the tongue of the press.Isn't that all that really matters?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If that trade happened there would still be posters here saying that they believe that Barfedagain is doing a good job.
That trade will never happen and you and others will continue to act like it's pending league approval.

Reactions: Belial
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia