Rumor: Rumors and Fake News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oshawa General

Jul 18, 2005
Stastny and Pacioretty were very productive linemates on a couple of iterations of Team USA. I imagine they're friendly because of that.

Pacioretty likely told him what anyone with both eyes and a brain would. That the team was in free fall and is rapidly deteriorating under Bergevin. In other words, "for God's sake man, stay the hell away!"

Bergevin is reaping what he sowed.

When was Pacioretty ever productive with Team USA, he's usually been a healthy scratch

Reactions: Laurentide

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
I don't buy the parity argument. Even in a cap system there are still teams flirting with dynasties. They may not win every year the way dynastic teams did 30+ years ago, but they are consistently elite and in the conversation every year at least.. The Habs have not been a serious part of that conversation since forever. Their best years since 1979, even their two championship years, they were always a dark horse team that no one was expecting to do anything. If certain teams can be in the conversation for close to a decade, even if they only win the Cup a couple of times during that span, it's still galaxies ahead of whatever it is the Habs have been doing for the past 25 years.

As for Bergevin, I've said it before and I'll say it again: if he's looking for sympathy he can find it in the dictionary somewhere between s*** and syphilis. He knew what the job entailed when he applied for it. He wanted the job, he went after the job and he got the job. Now that he's got it he needs to suck it up and do the damn job. Don't come and tell me that he didn't know that the standards for this team are different. Nobody cares about the parity argument in Montreal. You're the Habs and the expectations are what they are. You want to hide behind the parity argument? Apply for the GM job in Columbus or Carolina You want to manage this team? Find a way to win. Just friggin' win. Nobody wants to hear your excuses. "Render unto Habs fans what belongs to Habs fans". Stanley Cup parades are our birthright. So instead of spending your time telling us about how times have changed, how about just meeting our expectations like you were hired to do? We don't pay you to make excuses. We pay you to get results.

That's all fine and dandy, when you're here, on this forum, ranting away. Unfortunately, the world doesnt work like that. Definitely not the sports world. Again, this isnt McDonalds where you tell an employee to flip a burger at 2 mins and if he doesnt, hes fired. Theres too many variables to consider here.

If everyone could just win championships,that easily, just because Laurentides and few others on this forum,say it should be like that.....every team would be elite,every year.

I wont continue because, its falling on deaf ears. You all just continue perpetually hating MB and every other GM that comes after him, just like you hated the ones who preceded him- until we win the next championship. At THAT moment you will praise that GM, until he falters the following season.

Same shit. Different day. ..as they say.

Cheers

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Is the article implying that Stastny called Pacioretty during the free agency period as a means of inquiring about Montreal as a potential destination?

I didn't read the article. Just remembered their USA connection. I watched a lot of those games, and Pacioretty and Stastny were definitely a dynamic duo.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Maybe it's time to realize that the team was never a serious contender?

I don't recall any serious posters suggesting that the Habs were solid contenders, just possibly on the verge. The common opinion was that the core was solid but a legit #1 centre and some additional skill on both O & D was necessary. Obviously this is completely dependant on Bergevin not being an incompetent and irresponsible GM.

Not surprised you found a way to misinterpret the facts.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
That's all fine and dandy, when you're here, on this forum, ranting away. Unfortunately, the world doesnt work like that. Definitely not the sports world. Again, this isnt McDonalds where you tell an employee to flip a burger at 2 mins and if he doesnt, hes fired. Theres too many variables to consider here.

If everyone could just win championships,that easily, just because Laurentides and few others on this forum,say it should be like that.....every team would be elite,every year.

I wont continue because, its falling on deaf ears. You all just continue perpetually hating MB and every other GM that comes after him, just like you hated the ones who preceded him- until we win the next championship. At THAT moment you will praise that GM, until he falters the following season.

Same ****. Different day. ..as they say.

Cheers

Except it's okay to call a schmuck a schmuck. Your implying we haven't had more then our share of them.

You're mistaken.

Reactions: Peanut and Runner77

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I don't recall any serious posters suggesting that the Habs were solid contenders, just possibly on the verge. The common opinion was that the core was solid but a legit #1 centre and some additional skill on both O & D was necessary. Obviously this is completely dependant on Bergevin not being an incompetent and irresponsible GM.

Not surprised you found a way to misinterpret the facts.

There were a few and they still think so btw...

I'm sorry my friend but a lot of posters around here are just delusional or they think it's in the game...

I debated a ton of times this point already, not feeling the need to do it again.

We disagree from the second Bergevin became the manager!

I don't think that was a good team or some amazing core to inherit so we disagree on mostly everything since. Cheers!

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
There were a few and they still think so btw...

I'm sorry my friend but a lot of posters around here are just delusional or they think it's in the game...

I debated a ton of times this point already, not feeling the need to do it again.

We disagree from the second Bergevin became the manager!

I don't think that was a good team or some amazing core to inherit so we disagree on mostly everything since. Cheers!

6 years ago Markov, Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Plekanec and Galchenyuk was a very good core. Bergevin added an awful lot of unskilled players to that group since then, and no game changers as yet.

I'll bet at the time, you thought it was a great core to add to as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peanut

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
If the Habs chose anyone over Subban, then they chose Therrien over Subban, not Pacioretty. Not trading Subban was always an option.
That is exactly what happened. MB traded a Norris-winning young defenceman to placate an irrational, despotic coach, who is now hard-pressed to land another NHL head-coaching job. Anything to protect the club's hierarchy.

Edit: same reason Eller was shipped out, despite the paucity of NHL-level centers on the team. He too was judged insubordinate.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
I don't recall the specific tournaments. But I did watch them and their chemistry was tangible and a very real thing.

You're probably thinking of the 2014 olympics. He played with Statnsy and Oshie. Played great vs Slovakia etc.

After that, he was terrible in his last outing under Torts.

Reactions: groovejuice

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
That is exactly what happened. MB traded a Norris-winning young defenceman to placate an irrational, despotic coach, who is now hard-pressed to land another NHL head-coaching job. Anything to protect the club's hierarchy.

Edit: same reason Eller was shipped out, despite the paucity of NHL-level centers on the team. He too was judged insubordinate.

Nah,thats delusional. Dont get me wrong. To this day,i dont like the trade and prefer Subban, BUT.... he was traded because his ego was too big for the team. Montreal cant have a figure bigger than the crest itself. There cant and wont ever be a brand within the brand.

Lets not pretend this is Therrien,MB or anything else. Sure they didnt see eye to eye but you re talking abt the same coach who said Max is the worst captain in team history. Doesnt sound like a guy who wanted to trade Subby and love on Patches.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
You're probably thinking of the 2014 olympics. He played with Statnsy and Oshie. Played great vs Slovakia etc.

After that, he was terrible in his last outing under Torts.

It may indeed have been the 2014 Games. There was at least one other tournament as well where they were paired and looked great.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Nah,thats delusional. Dont get me wrong. To this day,i dont like the trade and prefer Subban, BUT.... he was traded because his ego was too big for the team. Montreal cant have a figure bigger than the crest itself. There cant and wont ever be a brand within the brand.

Lets not pretend this is Therrien,MB or anything else. Sure they didnt see eye to eye but you re talking abt the same coach who said Max is the worst captain in team history. Doesnt sound like a guy who wanted to trade Subby and love on Patches.

This bigger than the team thing is total garbage. It's a chicken poop angle to support the unsupportable. Did the Oilers have to trade Gretzky? The Penguins Lemieux or Crosby? The Wings Lidstrom?

Not sure why you're bringing up Pacioretty. The bad will that started with Therrien is just being continued by Bergevin. It's just another case of cutting off the nose to spite the face.

The sooner you glom onto the fact that the Habs are run by renegade imbeciles, the sooner you'll stop repeating fables about Brand.

If a single player can overshadow a $Billion sports franchise, then I'll also be expecting hell to freeze over any day.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
6 years ago Markov, Subban, Price, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Plekanec and Galchenyuk was a very good core. Bergevin added an awful lot of unskilled players to that group since then, and no game changers as yet.

I'll bet at the time, you thought it was a great core to add to as well.

At the time I was excited for sure but with time I was able to realize it was not that great of a core.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
9kq98g.jpg

This is simply amazing Bravoh!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That core or any core group of players would have a tough time winning with the franchise choosing David Desharnais as it's number one center.
MB's biggest mistake in 2012 was Therrien, but DD was the 2nd....letting Therrien ruin the development of others, because of mon petite davide.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad