Rumor: Rumors and Fake News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Absolute garbage. We give up two 30 goal scorers for crap.
We just give up one 30 goal scorer in Pacioretty...and he's not really that since he scored 17 last year.

Gallagher's just a decent depth/character player.

Lucic is a 25 goal scorer.

Source: @NHLconfidant

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
I’m not talking about regression and neither were you.....you specifically talked about trading skill for sandpaper and I’ve pointed out that not all his trades were what you were trying to sell to the board.

I was unaware yes, but after your gross accusations I had to investigate your claims myself only to find out that you were clueless or blind or just downright not genuine in your claim......this, just to fit the narrative here on just blindly bad mouthing the GM in the hopes of getting likes, at least that’s the sense I get from such a baseless post......clearly baseless on your initial accusation
You sound like a CH employee... gross accusations, investigations, accusations again.

You take this shit way too seriously, it's not healthy.

and huh, FYI, if you have to use OR that much in a sentence, maybe you didnt find out anything... you know...

Reactions: Peanut

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
The problem with the Duchene comparable is that he was signed for another full season. Changes the dynamic a lot.

I'm only comparing the situation in which Duchene was similarly being shopped in the summer only to remain on the team into the next season. That was a major distraction for the Avs. I think we're in for a similar situation.

As for the value of the players, I agree, they're not very comparable.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I'm only comparing the situation in which Duchene was similarly being shopped in the summer only to remain on the team into the next season. That was a major distraction for the Avs. I think we're in for a similar situation.

As for the value of the players, I agree, they're not very comparable.

Yeah that is fair comparison. I dont think he is the type to be able to hold that weight on his shoulders and perform.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Can't agree. Firstly, I think if we traded him at the deadline, the return wouldn't have been as good as some claim here. I truly believe that it would have to be Pacioretty AND Galchenyuk for what McDonagh and Miller went for, which is VERY underwhelming. Secondly, soon to be free agents get traded ALL THE TIME. Somebody will obviously pay for Pacioretty, just like how someone paid for Nash. Not giving up assets for a player that you are VERY interested in solely because he is going to be a free agent is incredibly stupid. "Hey Marc, I like Pacioretty, but I won't give up anything because he will be a free agent". You can easily say "Great. How about you go **** yourself, and I'll trade him to someone else even for little value so that you will miss out on a guy you would like very much?". You would have to be 100% sure that Pacioretty will sign with your team if you are pulling this trick, and there is no way of telling at the deadline. Surely the Habs will be out of the question as a destination for him next year, but that one team still has 29 teams to worry about.
The guy is 30 years old with a bad last season and zero playoff performance. Looking for an 8 year contract. Bit late on the trade bergy.

He will not get a first in trade. Unless a contender has a serious injury to a top winger.

Way to corner yourself bergy.

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Not only that but this club was too cheap to pay Radulov now all of a sudden they want to take on Lucic? No thanks, don't want no part of that!

Serious rumors say that Radulov was asking for much more money to stay in Montreal than to go to Dallas. 7 million for 5 years. No Thanks.

I prefer to be in reconstruction mode.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Serious rumors say that Radulov was asking for much more money to stay in Montreal than to go to Dallas. 7 million for 5 years. No Thanks.

I prefer to be in reconstruction mode.
Exactly. The money it would have cost to keep him in Montreal is a lot more than what it took Dallas to sign him for. But people liked Radulov so they conveniently overlook the fact that the only way to keep him was to overpay, something they continually criticize Bergevin for doing with other players. Of course, if it was any other player, especially a player over 30, they'd vilify Bergevin for making an offer even close to as much as he was willing to give Radulov. But because it was for a fan favorite somehow they rationalize the overpayment.

Reactions: Frank JT and 417

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Exactly. The money it would have cost to keep him in Montreal is a lot more than what it took Dallas to sign him for. But people liked Radulov so they conveniently overlook the fact that the only way to keep him was to overpay, something they continually criticize Bergevin for doing with other players. Of course, if it was any other player, especially a player over 30, they'd vilify Bergevin for making an offer even close to as much as he was willing to give Radulov. But because it was for a fan favorite somehow they rationalize the overpayment.

Oh boy, are we still forgetting that Bergevin was the stable genius who outright refused to sign Radulov for 2 years to begin with, thus leading to the negotiations in the first place?

Here's the thing: we traded our best prospect away, and we walked into the season with 8.5 million in cap space. This should have been an ''avoid at all costs'' situation. We payed Sergachev to get worse, if younger.

Let's not defend Bergevin for avoiding perhaps a 1 mill AAV overpayment, shall we?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh boy, are we still forgetting that Bergevin was the stable genius who outright refused to sign Radulov for 2 years to begin with, thus leading to the negotiations in the first place?

Here's the thing: we traded our best prospect away, and we walked into the season with 8.5 million in cap space. This should have been an ''avoid at all costs'' situation. We payed Sergachev to get worse, if younger.

Let's not defend Bergevin for avoiding perhaps a 1 mill AAV overpayment, shall we?
Why should Bergevin have given more than a 1 year deal to a player coming in from Russia who could just as easily have turned out to be another Sergei Samsonov? And why should he have put so much stock into that one good season of Radulov? Some players only put out the effort when it's a contract year. Then, as soon as they sign a big, long-term deal, they coast.

Signing Radulov in the first place was a gamble and it paid off. Re-signing him to a long-term deal at big money, especially given his age, was an even bigger gamble. We will have to wait and see if it's a gamble that pays off for Dallas but I'm not losing any sleep over the loss of a player who will be retired by the time we're ready to compete again.

Reactions: Kwikwi

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I liked the fact that he was a free top line scoring asset. This team can't attract these kind of guys from the UFA market and apparently has a difficult time trading for them and developing them.

I'm in the other camp. The guy liked it here. You overpay to keep him on your first line and you move him in a couple of years if you can't use him, but don't let a free premium asset slip out of your hands, especially one who likes the city enough to have chosen to come here in the first place.

Look at the fallout -- we have no Radulov but tons of cap space the GM can't use on anyone. What's better?

Anyway, don't want to derail the thread. How about some rumors? Anyone?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Why should Bergevin have given more than a 1 year deal to a player coming in from Russia who could just as easily have turned out to be another Sergei Samsonov? And why should he have put so much stock into that one good season of Radulov? Some players only put out the effort when it's a contract year. Then, as soon as they sign a big, long-term deal, they coast.

Because if you're right about Radulov you retain him at less than market value. With Bergevin's stupid plan there was no possible payoff: even if he was right about Radulov, he just paid him 5.75 million to audition for the rest of the league. The additional risk that you might have to deal with the extra year of the contract is absolutely nothing: part of his job description.

Signing Radulov in the first place was a gamble and it paid off. Re-signing him to a long-term deal at big money, especially given his age, was an even bigger gamble. We will have to wait and see if it's a gamble that pays off for Dallas but I'm not losing any sleep over the loss of a player who will be retired by the time we're ready to compete again.

No: there was nothing gambled, and nothing paid off.

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018

Signing a player to a 1 year contract is the opposite of a gamble... it's no risk.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because if you're right about Radulov you retain him at less than market value. With Bergevin's stupid plan there was no possible payoff: even if he was right about Radulov, he just paid him 5.75 million to audition for the rest of the league. The additional risk that you might have to deal with the extra year of the contract is absolutely nothing: part of his job description.

No: there was nothing gambled, and nothing paid off.

If we only could of had a tank season in the 2016/2017 season as well. Imagine trading Radulov and Markov at the 2017 Deadline and the return would would of gotten. Middle of the pack strategy has be very concerned. I want an accelerated rebuild, not a prolonged one.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
If we only could of had a tank season in the 2016/2017 season as well. Imagine trading Radulov and Markov at the 2017 Deadline and the return would would of gotten. Middle of the pack strategy has be very concerned. I want an accelerated rebuild, not a prolonged one.
I really think we are close. This is the tank year, and an opportunity for a 3rd great draft in a row. Not only should we have a high first round pick, but between Pacioretty, Byron, Plekanec, and Benn, should have a lot of picks as well. By 2019-2020 guys like Poehling will start to make the jump, and the rebuild won't quite be over, but we will have the start of a young and exciting team.

Reactions: Frank JT and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I really think we are close. This is the tank year, and an opportunity for a 3rd great draft in a row. Not only should we have a high first round pick, but between Pacioretty, Byron, Plekanec, and Benn, should have a lot of picks as well. By 2019-2020 guys like Poehling will start to make the jump, and the rebuild won't quite be over, but we will have the start of a young and exciting team.
It surely doens't have to be long and painful...

This team should be in full out asset accumulation mode.

Reactions: Runner77

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Let's not mention trade deadline 2017 lol. What in the world was that?

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
The guy is 30 years old with a bad last season and zero playoff performance. Looking for an 8 year contract. Bit late on the trade bergy.

He will not get a first in trade. Unless a contender has a serious injury to a top winger.

Way to corner yourself bergy.
Oh come on. Won’t get a first? Look at what Kane and OReilly fetched and they both came with a lot more baggage. I really dislike pacioretty but even I can’t deny his value. You put him with someone who will do the work, and he will score. I think MB may have been looking for a bit too much, or the timing was wrong, but pacioretty has to be worth just as much as Kane and OReilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad