Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 139, Linus Hogberg , D, Vaxjo Lakers, Sweden

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
How dare you impugn the defensive reputation of a future first ballot HoF'er?! :sarcasm:

:laugh: Liljegren was obviously trying to do everything all at once, and wasn't supported by the rest of his team. He was too busy thinking way ahead of the play and anticipating stealing the puck, dangling around every one of the Team Canada players, and firing it through the top corner into the hole in the water bottle.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Had a great season debut today... albeit in limited minutes. Only played 8:48...

But each time he hit the ice he was close to perfect.

Broke up a 1v1 beautifully at own blue-line, had great gap control and never looked flustered.

And picked up a great assist with a fantastic outlet pass.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Hey guys, Växjö fan here. One thing I've noticed with him is, he usually has really good composure and his outlet passes are far above the SHL norm. Sure he has some really bad turnovers but overall a huge improvement from last year.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
What is Hogberg's upside? Is he an offensive defenseman? Is he a defensive defenseman that can move the puck? Is he a two-way defender? Is he a mid or bottom pairing guy? I just can't find anything that gives a good indication of what he could be. Hopefully Appleyard can answer this because he seems to have a great pulse on the European prospects.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What is Hogberg's upside? Is he an offensive defenseman? Is he a defensive defenseman that can move the puck? Is he a two-way defender? Is he a mid or bottom pairing guy? I just can't find anything that gives a good indication of what he could be. Hopefully Appleyard can answer this because he seems to have a great pulse on the European prospects.

Well rounded defenseman. Great skater with a high defensive IQ. Like for his age his DZ play is really impressive in general.

He has all the tools to be good offensively... very good outlet pass and a solid shot. But at times seems reluctant to really get as involved offensively as he should given skillset. But he has got better at that this season.

I imagine his realistic upside is a #4 Dman at NHL level.

Reactions: SnS and Stizzle

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Well rounded defenseman. Great skater with a high defensive IQ. Like for his age his DZ play is really impressive in general.

He has all the tools to be good offensively... very good outlet pass and a solid shot. But at times seems reluctant to really get as involved offensively as he should given skillset. But he has got better at that this season.

I imagine his realistic upside is a #4 Dman at NHL level.

How does he compare to Hagg?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How does he compare to Hagg?

Better skater in both speed and agility... less mistake prone at the same age in the defensive zone, but less physical. Better natural passer... shots probably about even overall... but Hagg always had a knack for getting pucks through traffic.

Hagg was a lot more physically developed at same age though and has far bigger frame... even though similar in height.

Reactions: Stizzle

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think it's actually funny how similar Hogberg and Hagg are in mannerisms and skating mechanics. Like twins.

My main thought comparing the two is that Hogberg looks like he could be what people think Hagg is. So much better and calmer with the passes to thwart forechecks.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Major props for your scouting team.. Hogberg appears to be the real deal.

It's certainly starting to feel that way. Getting Hogberg and Laczynski in the 5th & 6th rounds of 2016 is looking very promising. Both are inarguably better prospects than who we took 36th overall that year. IMO, both players are top 10 prospects in our pool even when you still count Patrick, Sanheim, and Hagg as prospects.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What is most impressive for me is the maturity he plays with... especially so far this season. Looks like a 'veteran' at only 19.

I mean, it does help that he arguably has no holes in his skillset. My one complaint really is I would like him to use his skillset more effectively at times in the OZ at 5v5, he flashes it instead of being consistent, probably as he think defense first and does not want to get caught out of position. But a small complaint really.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
What's his contract situation? The Phantoms don't have any LHD signed for 17-18.

Myers
Friedman
Willcox(RFA)
Alt(RFA)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What's his contract situation? The Phantoms don't have any LHD signed for 17-18.

Myers
Friedman
Willcox(RFA)
Alt(RFA)

His contract expires at the end of this season. Same for Bernhardt too.

I am pretty confident that both could play in the AHL right now and hold their own or better. Probably both ~#4 AHL level Dmen right now most likely.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What is most impressive for me is the maturity he plays with... especially so far this season. Looks like a 'veteran' at only 19.

I mean, it does help that he arguably has no holes in his skillset. My one complaint really is I would like him to use his skillset more effectively at times in the OZ at 5v5, he flashes it instead of being consistent, probably as he think defense first and does not want to get caught out of position. But a small complaint really.

Actually, to me it's a compliment. Means he's focused on mastering fundamentals than padding his stats.

Think Provorov, came in defense first, but you can see him open up his offensive game as he became more comfortable with the speed of the game and learned when to take chances.

I think it's easier to encourage a talented player to open up their offense if they've mastered defensive fundamentals than to harness an offensively oriented player who's used to "out talenting" inferior competition into playing a disciplined game.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
His contract expires at the end of this season. Same for Bernhardt too.

I am pretty confident that both could play in the AHL right now and hold their own or better. Probably both ~#4 AHL level Dmen right now most likely.

That's good. Seems like there should be room for both in the AHL next year.

Brennan(UFA)-Myers
Hogberg-Friedman
Bernhardt-Alt(RFA)
Amorosa-Willcox

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad