Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 139, Linus Hogberg , D, Vaxjo Lakers, Sweden

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
You won't be able to pronounce it unless you spend some time with Swedes or really practice it. That "o" sound in Swedish is a vowel sound that we don't really have in English - it is like a subtle, flat and compressed version of the "oo" in foot. You almost have to say "Hogberg" as if it is "Hoogberg" (with the "oo" as in "foot") and pout as you say it while pursing your lips. The "berg" at the end is sort of like "berry" though I have heard Swedes pronounce it straightforwardly like we would, as just "berg."

In my defense, I haven't been there since 2003, and I have had precious little practice since then, so I could be a bit off. I do know how to say the most vile curse in Swedish, if anyone ever needs it :sarcasm::naughty:

Tbf we have had Hägg for 3 years and I don't think I have heard his name said correctly once by North American commentators/pundits etc! I.E: Kind of like Egg said quickly with a soft H at the front.

I still find Swedish hard to fully get pronunciations straight off reading it... (being not able to speak it & only able to read & understand basic sentences) and I am helped out by growing up listening to Bob Hund, Hellacopters and listening to loads of Swedish hockey broadcasts... and growing up in the North of England where we have a few left over bits of Nordic language still used in everyday dialect! (my favourite being Piss Mower (pisse-maurr)... which is close to identical to Swedish slang for a specific ant still! Though it does seem only old people use it these days.)

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If he ever does it'll likely be significantly more than 3 years.

3 years is less than our top defensive prospects are taking (with the exception of Provorov).

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Thanks to Vikke (if you don't already follow him on twitter @ViktorAllvin you should) for putting me onto this little titbit of news:

http://www.vaxjolakers.se/artikel/ak39airc3-4af7d/

Basically Högberg is going to be with SHL team full-time next season going off this. Assigned the number 6.

May not seem earth shattering or anything... but it is pretty impressive and Växjö must think a lot of him.

He was one of the youngest players drafted (still not 18 for over a month) and generally only ~2-3 draft+1 Dmen play in the SHL full-time each year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It's impressive for a kid that looks like he's 14. Kind of thought there was a good chance he'd play on the senior team considering how well he played in the J20 circuit.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Is that a HFBoards sanctioned nickname?

Oh ****. I forgot to ask. I hope I don't get in trouble. I think it probably isn't. It has to be Hogsy or Bergsy or maybe Linsy or Nussy or Berger. Anything else is just not allowed for reasons that only those in charge can explain.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Nice move by Hexy at the draft to get Högberg. Hopefully Linus pans out for the Flyers in 2 or 3 years.

If he develops into a prospect with real NHL potential like Oskar Lindblom, I think it's more likely he stays in Sweden for three years, then comes over.

Both Swedes, both late birthdays, both taken in the 5th round. :nod:

LINUS HÖGBERG Sweden
BIRTHYEAR 1998-09-04
NHL DRAFT 2016 round 5 #139 overall by Philadelphia Flyers

OSKAR LINDBLOM Sweden
BIRTHYEAR 1996-08-15
NHL DRAFT 2014 round 5 #138 overall by Philadelphia Flyers

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If he plays a year and a half in the SHL he'll have a really good chance to make that team next year.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Högberg played today in a 4-3 OT loss to Yunost of Belarus.

He was +1 and took a 2 minute penalty for kneeing.

He played on the 3rd pairing today instead of at #7 as he did in the other games.

Växjö went into the game only needing to get to OT to qualify for next round of champions hockey league.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He seems bigger than the 6'1 and 180lbs he is listed at. Spent a few shifts on ice vs Lindblom today and seemed a similar size. I would guess he is ~6'2 and mid 180's.

He played ok, got a - on the goal Lindblom assisted on and was benched after that.

But he made a beautiful play in the 2nd to almost get his first SHL point. He span off Lindblom near the redline and with some very impressive balance and acceleration drove up right wing and dished back door... teammate just missed what would have been a slam dunk.

His first step was really, really impressive, as was the agility on a move like that for a guy who is not exactly small.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At 18 he may not be finished growing, and that may also affect his physical maturity, often players need a year to grow accustomed to a larger body, I think that explains how Myers fell through the cracks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad