Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 139, Linus Hogberg , D, Vaxjo Lakers, Sweden

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
At 18 he may not be finished growing, and that may also affect his physical maturity, often players need a year to grow accustomed to a larger body, I think that explains how Myers fell through the cracks.

Yeh, it is easy to forget that if he was 2 weeks younger he would be 2017 eligible... with Liljegren injured he is the youngest regular defenseman in the SHL right now.

I doubt he makes the WJC this season simply as Sweden have a pretty strong group of guys ahead of him (Larsson, Kylington, G. Carlsson, L. Carlsson, Liljegren, Bouramman, Cederholm & Moverare) but I things he is odds on for next year.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Great game from him today in a 2-0 loss.

Played 22:22 on the 1st pairing and was heavily used on the PK. So solid and smart on D... was the best Dman on either team IMO.

His defensive zone work is so solid already, and he skates well.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I saw he was on the 2nd pair last game and now this. Kind of strange he goes from 7th D to top pair in a week. Where have I seen that before?

I also saw a Swedish writer have Hogberg on his WJC team. That would be quite the accomplishment considering he wasn't even picked for the u18 team last year.

torkad frukt

Mar 8, 2013
I saw he was on the 2nd pair last game and now this. Kind of strange he goes from 7th D to top pair in a week. Where have I seen that before?

I also saw a Swedish writer have Hogberg on his WJC team. That would be quite the accomplishment considering he wasn't even picked for the u18 team last year.

The swedish team has already been selected. Only Sandström from the Flyers prospects were picked.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The swedish team has already been selected. Only Sandström from the Flyers prospects were picked.

The team leaked by the media is not official though... the federation officially releases team on Monday. And it would not surprise me if it is different that leaked list.

But I dont think Högberg makes it even so.

Close to lock for next year though.

torkad frukt

Mar 8, 2013
The team leaked by the media is not official though... the federation officially releases team on Monday. And it would not surprise me if it is different that leaked list.

But I dont think Högberg makes it even so.

Close to lock for next year though.

That is true, it's a preliminary list so far.

Goalies:
Felix Sandström
Adam Werner
Filip Gustavsson

Defensemen:
Erik Brännström
Jacob Larsson
Timothy Liljegren
Rasmus Dahlin
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Carl-Johan Lerby
Gabriel Carlsson
Jacob Moverare
Oliver Kylington
Gustav Bouramman

Forwards:
Marcus Davidsson
Jesper Bratt
Lias Andersson
Carl Grundström
Alexander Nylander
Rasmus Asplund
Joel Eriksson Ek
Jonathan Davidsson
Elias Pettersson
Jens Lööke
Sebastian Ohlsson
Jonathan Dahlén
Andreas Wingerli
Tim Söderlund
Oskar Steen

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That is true, it's a preliminary list so far.

Goalies:
Felix Sandström
Adam Werner
Filip Gustavsson

Defensemen:
Erik Brännström
Jacob Larsson
Timothy Liljegren
Rasmus Dahlin
Kristoffer Gunnarsson
Carl-Johan Lerby
Gabriel Carlsson
Jacob Moverare
Oliver Kylington
Gustav Bouramman

Forwards:
Marcus Davidsson
Jesper Bratt
Lias Andersson
Carl Grundström
Alexander Nylander
Rasmus Asplund
Joel Eriksson Ek
Jonathan Davidsson
Elias Pettersson
Jens Lööke
Sebastian Ohlsson
Jonathan Dahlén
Andreas Wingerli
Tim Söderlund
Oskar Steen

Looking forward to getting my first look at Liljegren and Pettersson.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Liljegren might not play. I would be surprised if Bernhardt doesn't at least get named to the prelim roster. I know Sweden has a lot of good young (and really young) defensemen but he was good in the summer, is playing in the SHL this year, and leads u20 defensmen in points this year. Had another point today.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Great game today from him.

2a, +2 in 17:12 TOI. Was used on PK1 too.

Team lost 8-5, he was not on ice for single goal against.

Also helped set up 2 other great chances in the 3rd.

He is so smooth and level headed for one of youngest players in the league. Rarely makes a mistake.

Though he did put puck over glass for delay of game penalty that ended in a 5v3 and opposition scoring 2 goals.

But coach put him straight back out... was unlucky really.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Great to hear!

Just imagine if we actually have the next wave of d prospects already in the system with him and Bernhardt.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Great to hear!

Just imagine if we actually have the next wave of d prospects already in the system with him and Bernhardt.

They are both legit prospects.

Bernhardt has slightly more upside I think... he is awesome in the OZ. But his skating needs work and his D does too.

Högberg is far safer. He is just so good in terms of IQ. And he is a good skater... and he is probably 6'2 now going off him vs other players listed at around that.

I think both have realistic #4 upside. But they would be different types of #4. Högberg would be a ~20-25 point guy who plays PK... Bernhardt a ~30-35 point guy who plays PP2.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Appleyard

Who do you prefer: Hogberg or Bernhardt?

Such a tough question.

I think I 'like' Högberg more...he is more my kind of player, smooth, cerebral, not going to wow you but does all the small things right.

But if asked to keep one in the system and let one go for some reason I may say keep Bernhardt. He plays both sides and has a bit more upside.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
8-5? Holy ****, did they play 3v3? :laugh:

If he were getting these minutes a month ago he probably could have worked his way into contention for a WJC spot. If you see this kid he looks like he should be in middle school. Very immature physically, which makes it even more impressive that he's playing the minutes he is at that level. We'll see if it holds up, but he could potentially have 3 full seasons in the SHL before his 21st birthday when the Flyers would likely look to sign him.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just helped his side to the Champions Hockey League semi-final.

Nail-biting 3-2 win in the 2nd leg of the quarters against Zurich after a 0-0 tie in the first leg. He was held pointless, +0.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
8-5? Holy ****, did they play 3v3? :laugh:

If he were getting these minutes a month ago he probably could have worked his way into contention for a WJC spot. If you see this kid he looks like he should be in middle school. Very immature physically, which makes it even more impressive that he's playing the minutes he is at that level. We'll see if it holds up, but he could potentially have 3 full seasons in the SHL before his 21st birthday when the Flyers would likely look to sign him.

He has really impressed me this year... despite looking like a 14 year old now he has the visor and not the cage hiding him! Such a mature defensive game for his age, seems to really 'get' pro level D, makes the right play almost every time.

He generally plays a simple game, but his skating is really nice and he has some skill.

If he was 2 weeks younger I think he would be ~a 2nd round selection in the 2017 draft.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
He has really impressed me this year... despite looking like a 14 year old now he has the visor and not the cage hiding him! Such a mature defensive game for his age, seems to really 'get' pro level D, makes the right play almost every time.

He generally plays a simple game, but his skating is really nice and he has some skill.

If he was 2 weeks younger I think he would be ~a 2nd round selection in the 2017 draft.

Could he be like Lindblom....shooting up the prospect rankings and people wondering why he was not picked much higher?

Fingers crossed.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Could he be like Lindblom....shooting up the prospect rankings and people wondering why he was not picked much higher?

Fingers crossed.

I doubt he has the 'ceiling' Lindblom has... I think he probably has #4 upside realistically if everything goes well.

But his skill-set is so obviously translatable to a higher level.

But both were younger guys in draft who in draft +1 quickly found way into pretty significant SHL roles.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Högberg was loaned to Björklöven in the Allsvenskan today hours after playing for Växjö J20 team.

Makes a lot of sense. He showed in the 46 senior games he played this year that he was good enough for the SHL already... but Växjö are stacked, they have six top four defenseman right now objectively.

And he is probably too good for the J20 now. He is better defensively than offensively for his age but was at close to PPG in J20, while playing PP1 and PK1, and top pairing.

Björklöven are 2nd last in Allsvenskan right now, and if cannot get at least one spot up in standings will be in the relegation round-robin 'play-out' against the four best teams from 3rd tier+other team coming bottom 2 in Allsvenskan.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Högberg played 18:49 in his Allsvenskan debut.

Had the 3rd most TOI on Björklöven defense. And each period his TOI increased. Played over 7 minutes in the 3rd.

He had 2 SOG, +0 in 2-1 win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad