Prospect Info: Round 5, Pick 139, Linus Hogberg , D, Vaxjo Lakers, Sweden

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Depends how they finish the year, same with Kase.
Two years ago Lindblom didn't stand out, last year it was obvious he had nothing more to learn in the SHL.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The SHL is a better measure of a prospect's development, playing against men, many of whom have NHL experience.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
WJC is much better measure of a prospect's development, playing against the best in the world in your age class.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Depends how they finish the year, same with Kase.
Two years ago Lindblom didn't stand out, last year it was obvious he had nothing more to learn in the SHL.

Tbf he did stand out given his age for the league. He led all junior aged players in points and PPG, and then put up 3 points in three play-off games. Those 25 points were the 27th most for a 19 year old in the SHL's 40 year history... everyone who got 25+ since 1990 at age 19 became an NHLer.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Like the composure and fluid skating, nice patience waiting for a clear shot.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Provorov scores as much at ES than Ghost.
Save and reliable can lead to offensive opportunites off their defense.
Plus, they sneak up on people who never see them coming.

Reactions: hatcher

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

I have no issue with those type of players. It's more the mischaracterization of bland, boring, not so good players as "safe and reliable." You have to contribute to the other two zones still. Provorov is a high end safe and reliable player. I think Hogberg could be a solid one too. I've actually made the comparison to Hagg before in that he has some similar mannerisms, but he's a better skater, more finesse with his defense than brute force, and he looks to be a very competent puck mover without having to rely on his partner.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I have no issue with those type of players. It's more the mischaracterization of bland, boring, not so good players as "safe and reliable." You have to contribute to the other two zones still. Provorov is a high end safe and reliable player. I think Hogberg could be a solid one too. I've actually made the comparison to Hagg before in that he has some similar mannerisms, but he's a better skater, more finesse with his defense than brute force, and he looks to be a very competent puck mover without having to rely on his partner.

Reality check, it's hard to find six offensively skilled defensemen who are at least average if not better in the D-zone. Heck, it's hard to find six offensively skilled defensemen, period (see Carle).
And if you do find them, good luck paying them for more than a few years.

So you do need 2-3 "safe, reliable" defense first guys to pair with your "stars."
Hopefully guys who are physical, understand positioning and angles, can skate decently, make outlet passes and shoot from the point.
That is, guys like Gudas when his head isn't up his butt. Or Coburn in his prime.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW

All sarcasm aside (because it appears that either I see it where it ain't or you miss it completely), safe and reliable doesn't need to mean NO ******* OFFENSIVE CAPABILITY, which appears to be the definition a certain head coach works from. A corollary to this is that sitting on a lead, trying to play "safe and reliable, " might be a terrible idea. Notice that Hogzilla was playing with a lead in said clip?

So to sum up: safe and reliable need not equal passive, reactive, anti-offense, turtling. Controlling the puck, pushing the pace, and putting the other team on the defensive, causing them to react, can be a nice, safe reliable way to actually win a couple games.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yes, when you have players who can do that.

I think people are confusing effect with cause, the effect is being stuck in the defensive end, but I think the cause is talent, when opposing teams are desperate, Flyers have a toxic combination of inexperienced defensemen who make mistakes under pressure and smaller forwards without great speed who get trapped against the boards. The reason opposing teams don't play that way in the first two periods is it takes a lot of energy to play an aggressive forecheck at high intensity, but in the third period the losing team has the adrenalin rush of desperation. Good teams calmly clear the zone and flip the ice, bad teams turn the puck over under pressure or ice the puck out of desperation.

What I like watching that Hogberg clip was his composure, I think that's something I've seen from Vorobyev in the few games I've seen him, composure and hockey IQ are key in tight situations, the current Flyers seem to panic a bit, blow clearing passes or pass too quickly without looking, resulting in turnovers. It's a good sign when an 18 year old lets the game come to him instead of forcing the issue - but of course, we'd have to see a lot more to know if that's a highlight or how he plays the game.

Intangibles matter, and Hextall seems to focus on them in his draft picks.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Played 21:07 today in a 5-4 win.

Was being used as the #1 until the last 2-3 minutes of play... ended up 2nd on the team in TOI. It was a massive game too... top of the table clash. Not just giving him nice minutes vs lesser opponents.

Basically the 3rd game in a row he has been used on the 1st pairing now.

Solid game, he was -2, but not at fault for either goal.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not bad for a 19 year old.
Does he want to come over next year? Will his contract block him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad