Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 70: Felix Sandstrom, G, Brynas J20 (Sweden)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Good move for him and the Flyers. Stolarz and Lyon should be the AHL goalies/NHL injury callups next season.

Then in 18-19, the Hart/Sandstrom battle that will divide this board like 1860's America will begin.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Glad he stayed over there for one more year. It is crowded over here right now. This upcoming season probably determines if we keep Stolarz and Lyon.

Good move for him and the Flyers. Stolarz and Lyon should be the AHL goalies/NHL injury callups next season.

Then in 18-19, the Hart/Sandstrom battle that will divide this board like 1860's America will begin.

I'm looking forward to that day, especially if they are both played well. Exciting times.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No issue with this move by Sandstrom at all.

I still want to see Stolarz as NHL back-up though.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So between now and the 2018 season, we are likely to trade 2 goalies out of Neuvirth, Stolie and Lyon. One will be the Flyers backup.

Then Hart and Sandstrom in the AHL.

Madsen...likely traded or gone via UFA.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Sandstrom signs his ELC this summer, do you think Hextall would be OK giving him a European Assignment Clause that lets him go back to the SHL for 18-19 if he didn't make the Flyers?

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/pav...n-assignment-clause-in-his-contract/177983758

Sandstrom could have another year starting in the SHL, while these are the Flyers goalies for 18-19:

Flyers: Elliott & Stolarz with Neuvirth traded

Phantoms: Hart and Lyon (who will still be waiver exempt)

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So between now and the 2018 season, we are likely to trade 2 goalies out of Neuvirth, Stolie and Lyon. One will be the Flyers backup.

Then Hart and Sandstrom in the AHL.

Madsen...likely traded or gone via UFA.

cool...I got 1 right so far.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Sandstrom signs his ELC this summer, do you think Hextall would be OK giving him a European Assignment Clause that lets him go back to the SHL for 18-19 if he didn't make the Flyers?

Why not, I doubt they shoot any harder in the AHL than the SHL.
So he's getting similar game experience.
Maybe the angles are slightly different with bigger ice, but I can't imagine it being that much of an adjustment for a goalie.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
He reminds me of Bob in net.

I think he's the best goalie prospect we've had since Bobs and perhaps since the 1980's. His ceiling isn't as high as Hart's but his floor is much higher imo. Hart looks more calm and in control but he's still missing the confidence and cockiness of a true #1 goalie (if he gets that...watch out as we will have an elite Carey Price type goalie). Sandstrom from what I've seen plays with more confidence (now) and is more flashy and athletic. We literally may have 2 of the top 4-5 goalie prospects in the NHL (crazy)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Only early in season and he does have that surgery hanging over him...

But Sandström has a real chance to wrestle a proper starters role from Rautio, especially given way Rautio has started the season. He does have ~6 seasons of good SHL play behind him, but quite frankly he has not looked right to start the season, and numbers have reflected it:

Combined CHL+SHL games so far:

Rautio:4gp, 0.857 sv%
Sandström: 3gp, 0.925 sv%

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Basically won them the game today.

They got destroyed in first ~45 minutes... but Felix made ~5 or so ten bell saves. Two point blank with his glove, a breakaway, two down low on cross-ice.

Stopped 25/26 shots as his side scored twice in last 6 mins to win.

Now at:
.926sv% in 3 SHL gp.
.943sv% in 2 CHL gp.

Has stopped 121/130 shots for a .931 sv% overall in those 5 games.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That's just disappointing. He needs to be playing. Just get it fixed as we have seen others take a long time to recover and never play well with it anyways.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
That's just disappointing. He needs to be playing. Just get it fixed as we have seen others take a long time to recover and never play well with it anyways.

It is not really an injury so much as a likely hereditary condition... not close to the same kind of hernia Giroux, Patrick and Ghost had for example. He was scheduled for surgery at the start of the year, but seemingly something changed with his condition and he could play through it, they might have got him to try changing diet, avoid some foods etc. But now obviously symptoms etc are too much, causing trouble... so down to what doctors say. Might be surgery, but not very much news trickling out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad