Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 70: Felix Sandstrom, G, Brynas J20 (Sweden)

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I agree that most of the picks he makes this year should be forwards. I just don't think that 11 forwards; providing no trades happen, is realistic. 7-3-1 is my prediction for this year providing they make all 11 picks.

Yes, I was just half teasing. I'm sure they will take a couple D and a goalie, but it would be a statement of confidence in the past picks.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's not a negative. The draft & prospects are a crapshoot. If you listen to Hextall's pre/post draft interviews he seems to be someone who totally understands the odds involved with it. The reality is that the majority of the kids you select in a draft aren't going to pan out the way you want them to.

dropdeadjoey

Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
Yes, I was just half teasing. I'm sure they will take a couple D and a goalie, but it would be a statement of confidence in the past picks.

Nothing wrong with a statement of confidence, and considering the prospect pools that Philly has built at Defense & Goalie it would be well earned. Either way, it's exciting to see what the future holds for the Flyers :handclap:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Isaac wrote again today that Sandstrom is expected to come over after his SHL season ends, but is it really the best idea for him and the Flyers to have Lyon, Stolarz and Sandstrom as waiver exempt goalies fighting for starts in the AHL?

Hextall made it pretty clear he wants to sign another veteran goalie, so it doesn't seem like he's expecting Lyon or Stolarz to be the Flyers backup and play 20+ NHL games next season.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Isaac wrote again today that Sandstrom is expected to come over after his SHL season ends, but is it really the best idea for him and the Flyers to have Lyon, Stolarz and Sandstrom as waiver exempt goalies fighting for starts in the AHL?

Hextall made it pretty clear he wants to sign another veteran goalie, so it doesn't seem like he's expecting Lyon or Stolarz to be the Flyers backup and play 20+ NHL games next season.

If Hextall is bringing over Sandstrom this offseason I am going to assume there will be a spot available to him in the AHL. I don't think he would do it otherwise. I have no clue how everyone else will shake out.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They do scout their own players, and probably have a pretty good idea who they project in the NHL, and who they think is marginal. I'd rather lose excess talent than not have enough talent that I have to go with what I have, even if they're not good enough.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Stolarz/Lyon/Sandstrom are all AHL capable.

Not sure what Hextall does if he comes over. There is argument to be made that Sandstrom is ahead of these guys too. SHL/AHL are pretty similar leagues

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Lyon seems to be the odd one out, especially with Hart in the wings too. I'm all for keeping as many cogs in the machine as possible, but i don't see where he can play enough to keep improving.

Teams should be able to have more than 1 AHL affiliate.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Maybe Neuvirth to Vegas is a thing. UFA as starter with Lyon or Stolarz as backup leaving an open spot in the AHL for Sandstrom.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Maybe Neuvirth to Vegas is a thing. UFA as starter with Lyon or Stolarz as backup leaving an open spot in the AHL for Sandstrom.

Starting to think Neuvirth to Vegas is a real possibility. It would certainly explain the 2 year contract, followed by Hextalls comments about signing another veteran goalie. Vegas may have already done their homework on our available players and informed Hextall that Neuvirth would be the pick if exposed. McPhee drafted Neuvirth and I would imagine he would like to have a few guys in the organization he is familiar.

NHL

1 - Mason/Bernier/Darling
2 - Stolarz

AHL

1 - Lyon
2 - Sandstrom

Las Vegas

Neuvirth

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
There has to be something behind that. LV would have better options at Goalie. Unless Hextall does offer something to LV to take him off his hands. But how does that come about?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There has to be something behind that. LV would have better options at Goalie. Unless Hextall does offer something to LV to take him off his hands. But how does that come about?

Vegas will take 3-4 goalies and Neuvirth is one of the better options due to the fact that some teams forwards or defensemen are better choices than the goalies they will be exposing.

For example, if Columbus exposes David Savard and Joonas Korpisalo (who will be one of the better goalies exposed if hes not traded), Vegas might opt to take Savard for their Defense and pick goaltending elsewhere.

Last edited:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Vegas will take 3-4 goalies and Neuvirth is one of the better options due to the fact that some teams forwards or defensemen are better choices than the goalies they will be exposing.

For example, if Columbus exposes David Savard and Joonas Korpisalo (who will be one of the better goalies exposed if hes not traded), Vegas might opt to take Savard for their Defense and pick goaltending elsewhere.

McPhee could also take a guy like Neuvirth and then deal him to someone with a young goalie but needs a reliable backup, e.g. St. Louis or Tampa.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
McPhee could also take a guy like Neuvirth and then deal him to someone with a young goalie but needs a reliable backup, e.g. St. Louis or Tampa.

They could do this, or we could deal him somewhere else as well after the ED. It seems pretty clear that Hexy is looking at something other than Neuvy as our starter.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It makes more sense for Sandstrom to play another year in Sweden on a good team like Lindblom did.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Lyon seems to be the odd one out, especially with Hart in the wings too. I'm all for keeping as many cogs in the machine as possible, but i don't see where he can play enough to keep improving.

Teams should be able to have more than 1 AHL affiliate.

Aren't there situations where teams essentially loan a player to another AHL affiliate if they don't have room on their team? I feel like that's happened with goalies in the past but maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't think it would take Sandstrom long to jump ahead of both Stolarz and Lyon on the depth chart. I fully expect next year's goalies to be Neuvirth and a FA signing, but, frankly, if for some reason I had to have one of the three rooks on the NHL roster as a backup next season, I'd feel most confident in Sandstrom.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Sandström not playing today due to illness.

On a side note, Sandström vs Söderström must be the youngest goalie duel in the finals ever in Swedish hockey.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think it would take Sandstrom long to jump ahead of both Stolarz and Lyon on the depth chart. I fully expect next year's goalies to be Neuvirth and a FA signing, but, frankly, if for some reason I had to have one of the three rooks on the NHL roster as a backup next season, I'd feel most confident in Sandstrom.

20 year old NHL backups are extremely rare. I think the last one to do it was Vasilevsky, who was the 19th pick in 2012.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Sandstrom returns from his illness and pitches the big 2-0 shutout. Brynas now leads the series 3-2.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeh, he was fantastic today - especially in the 1st period.

They got battered, but he stopped all 14 shots he faced in the first and from there on out the game evened up.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Oh, and if they win one of the two final games Felix Sandström will be the youngest ever Le Mat Trophy winning play-off starter at 20 years and 3 months.

Youngest SHL winning starters in history right now:
#1: M. Tellqvist: 20+7mnth
#2: J. Holmqvist: 20+11mnth
#3: H. Lundqvist: 21+1mnth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad