Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 70: Felix Sandstrom, G, Brynas J20 (Sweden)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I am on board with that, too. Hextall has to be shrewd about where his multiple G prospects spend their time. Sandstorm is in a very competitive league and he continues to gain experience playing against men while his career clock stays at 0.

I would love to see Hextall's goalie prospect algorithm and the series of if / then boxes on how to handle them. Say, if Sandstrom repeats his excellent SHL season next year, what are the odds he would be considered for the Flyers in 2018-19? How is his trajectory mapped out relative to Carter Hart? What would Stolarz's emergence as a legitimate NHL player next season mean in the equation? Lots of interesting decisions on the horizon.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Nice to have decisions rather than trying to figure out how to box our way out of the corner.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I am on board with that, too. Hextall has to be shrewd about where his multiple G prospects spend their time. Sandstorm is in a very competitive league and he continues to gain experience playing against men while his career clock stays at 0.

I would love to see Hextall's goalie prospect algorithm and the series of if / then boxes on how to handle them. Say, if Sandstrom repeats his excellent SHL season next year, what are the odds he would be considered for the Flyers in 2018-19? How is his trajectory mapped out relative to Carter Hart? What would Stolarz's emergence as a legitimate NHL player next season mean in the equation? Lots of interesting decisions on the horizon.

Me too, Bern - it's a super interesting situation. And super trying, because it is the longest-term of our prospect positions, so we have to be super patient :laugh:

As you and I know all too well, that position is ultimately going to be the making or the breaking of us. If we can pull a franchise goalie out ... man. And by God, are we ever due one.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Me too, Bern - it's a super interesting situation. And super trying, because it is the longest-term of our prospect positions, so we have to be super patient :laugh:

As you and I know all too well, that position is ultimately going to be the making or the breaking of us. If we can pull a franchise goalie out ... man. And by God, are we ever due one.

Well we did have one just a few short years ago who is soon to be a two time vezina winner. Hopefully as you said we will be patient enough.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I leave Sandstrom in the SHL until I think he is NHL ready. Skip the AHL. Give him 2 more years, then bring him over to be the backup while Hart is the AHL starter.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The issue with that is you run the risk of him just signing elsewhere when his rights expire. As he's only got two more seasons after this before his signing deadline which is June 1st, 2019 to be exact.

You could sign him before that but you'd just be burning off years on his ELC without getting any production out of it.

He very well could be back in Sweden for next year but I can't really see them having him there for the fourth year as there's really no upside & all downside at the point. A guy like Madsen very well could go UFA next year leaving you even at a greater risk of being in a tough spot with goalies if Sandstrom bolted the following year.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The issue with that is you run the risk of him just signing elsewhere when his rights expire. As he's only got two more seasons after this before his signing deadline which is June 1st, 2019 to be exact.

You could sign him before that but you'd just be burning off years on his ELC without getting any production out of it.

I had not thought of that. I think him having another year in the SHL is important if he is the starter.

Funny to say this, but we could have a logjam in goal soon.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
CF's draft page is great because it lets you know when the rights to every pick will expire. Just filter by Flyers.

https://www.capfriendly.com/draft/2015

Dove-McFalls is the only unsigned guy whose rights expires this year, but I think the Flyers will sign him after his QMJHL playoffs are over.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I had not thought of that. I think him having another year in the SHL is important if he is the starter.

Funny to say this, but we could have a logjam in goal soon.

Sandstrom is going to be the Flyers' goalie of the future. Just a feeling.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'll take the other side of the Sandstrom argument.

I'd like to see him come over to North America and get an up close look at how he adjusts. Then you have a much better feel for how he fits into your future plans. He could easily be your starting NHL netminder in 18/19 if tears up the AHL next season. I think the org considers him a much better prospect than Stolarz and Lyon, so they may not hold him back a year from coming over just because they have two middling prospects coming off mediocre AHL seasons.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't think Sandstrom is gonna come over to the AHL and put up huge numbers behind the coaching of Scott Gordon, and the defense of TJ Brennan and Will O'Neill.

You can call Stolarz and Lyon mediocre, but there's no evidence that the Flyers agree with that assessment.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I wouldn't label Stolarz or Lyon as mediocre either.

I think there is something to the fact that Stolarz has looked better in his handful of Flyers appearances than he has for the system-less Phantoms.

I see it as Stolarz and Lyon are B+ prospects, whereas Hart and Sandstrom are A- prospects. All four are quality prospects.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I don't think it's unfair to term Stolarz and Lyon "middling prospects" or to term their AHL seasons as "mediocre."

As for their seasons, they were in the middle of the pack at best statistically. You can blame that on Gordon, but I've seen Lyon and Stolarz look pretty bad on their own, and Gordon has coached goalies who have had good seasons before (Toivonen, for one).

As for calling them middling prospects, well, I haven't seen either in any NHL top prospects lists. I'm not trying to be an ass here; I'm just not sold on Stolarz and Lyon taking precedence over Sandstrom if Hextall thinks it would be best for Sandstrom to play in the AHL next season.

HockeyFan1402

Mar 24, 2016
Sandstrom's contract is set to expire in Sweden. I could totally see a world where (knock on wood), they close out this series in game 6 or 7, win The Le Mat, and then Sandstrom feels completely ready and fulfilled with the idea of leaving home for North America (especially if he gets the nod in net here out).

I cannot see the 18-19 Flyers going with two young goalies out of camp so that means three of Stolarz, Lyon, Sandstrom, Hart (plus maybe Madsen, too) will all be looking for time with the Phantoms. It's a good problem to have, but Sandstrom coming over this off season definitely helps make next off season a tad easier to navigate.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
That makes two of us, Larry. He and the Bunny Man are my two favorite prospects.

I haven't had a chance to watch Echo but in only two viewings Wade Allison became my favourite prospect. Fast, skilled, big, mean, talented. Clone of Shane Doan - big bowlegged farm boy.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Sandstrom's contract is set to expire in Sweden. I could totally see a world where (knock on wood), they close out this series in game 6 or 7, win The Le Mat, and then Sandstrom feels completely ready and fulfilled with the idea of leaving home for North America (especially if he gets the nod in net here out).

I cannot see the 18-19 Flyers going with two young goalies out of camp so that means three of Stolarz, Lyon, Sandstrom, Hart (plus maybe Madsen, too) will all be looking for time with the Phantoms. It's a good problem to have, but Sandstrom coming over this off season definitely helps make next off season a tad easier to navigate.

Not sure I agree. There's only one situation in which Hart, Sandstrom, Stolarz and Lyon get anywhere enough time to all show their skills and that's if Sandstrom stays in Sweden.

HockeyFan1402

Mar 24, 2016
Not sure I agree. There's only one situation in which Hart, Sandstrom, Stolarz and Lyon get anywhere enough time to all show their skills and that's if Sandstrom stays in Sweden.

Do you mean in 17-18? I agree to an extent, Stolarz playing in the NHL, maybe in a tandem, sure, Hart getting loads of time in Everett, Lyon being the guy in LHV, and Sandstrom being the guy in Brynas. I get that, but I do disagree.

Sandstrom and Lyon could easily split time in the AHL for two reasons:

Injuries - Mason, Neuvirth, Stolarz, Lyon ALL dealt with them this year

AHL Schedule - Plenty of Friday-Saturday-Sunday "3 in 3"s in the AHL which provides enough game time for two goalies.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
God awful start. Brynas down 2-0 early.

And Sandstrom pulled immediately, not what we were looking for.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Do you mean in 17-18? I agree to an extent, Stolarz playing in the NHL, maybe in a tandem, sure, Hart getting loads of time in Everett, Lyon being the guy in LHV, and Sandstrom being the guy in Brynas. I get that, but I do disagree.

Sandstrom and Lyon could easily split time in the AHL for two reasons:

Injuries - Mason, Neuvirth, Stolarz, Lyon ALL dealt with them this year

AHL Schedule - Plenty of Friday-Saturday-Sunday "3 in 3"s in the AHL which provides enough game time for two goalies.

I like this projected workload. I posted earlier about wanting Sandstrom to stay in the SHL, but that info about his waning eligibility was a strong rebuttal. Plus, Hart still has CHL eligibility.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Sandström won "Save of the Year" award for his edge of the skate save posted earlier in this thread.

Not an official award but voted by fans. Still nice though.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'm biased in favor of Sandstrom. I watched him at rookie camp twp summers ago and he looked light years above the rest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad