Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 70: Felix Sandstrom, G, Brynas J20 (Sweden)

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So seeing we drafted another Swedish goalie, Apple what can we expect of Sandstrom this year? Seems like he has been pretty average statistically. What can we expect next year?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Really hoping Felix gets back on track after last season’s setback with the hiatal hernia. There was a time I thought we had the next Lundqvist with him, I was so impressed.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I may be wrong, and if I am we’ll all be happy about it, but I think that Sandstrom will prove to be a better goalie than Hart. Sandstrom’s athletic ability borders on gymnastic level. Excellent reaction time and quick glove. He just needs more experience on the smaller rinks in order to get accustomed to NA play.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I may be wrong, and if I am we’ll all be happy about it, but I think that Sandstrom will prove to be a better goalie than Hart. Sandstrom’s athletic ability borders on gymnastic level. Excellent reaction time and quick glove. He just needs more experience on the smaller rinks in order to get accustomed to NA play.

If he gets more consistent and improves his low-glove he has a legit chance to be an NHL starter I think.

But I am no goalie expert.

Reactions: renberg

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
And you wonder why Ron isn't rushing to pay a king's ransom for an aging veteran or someone's backup goalie with these two kids only a year or two away from the NHL?

Really cannot sleep on Ustimenko either.

Will be interesting to see him this year when gets VHL time but he has the skillset and track record to develop into an NHLer for sure.

Reactions: renberg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's plan "B", I don't think Ustimenko will sniff the NHL until 2022 or so, VHL, KHL for at least a year, maybe come over in 2020 or 2021 for a year in the AHL.
Which is fine, you want these guys to be staggered so you can give them a chance to sink or swim at each level without having a prospect blocked too long.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
His feet are better than his glove. He has very quick feet & is a good skater.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Stormborn gets overlooked a lot, which is understandable due to Hart's progress since being drafted and him playing in Sweden. Out of sight, out of mind situation.

I hope Sandstrom and Hart play out like the Bernier and Quick situation the Kings had. Let them both come in and compete for the long term job.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Might be getting a lot of starts this year.

Named starter in first game after great pre-season...

and the other proven goalie Gunnarsson is out at least a few weeks. Has started to have "Hossa-esque" equipment issues, getting irritated skin from his pads etc.

Reactions: Tripod

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013

and the other proven goalie Gunnarsson is out at least a few weeks. Has started to have "Hossa-esque" equipment issues, getting irritated skin from his pads etc.

He would have been starter last season if not for his injury, right?

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

You mean Gunnarsson is having those issues, not Felix, right?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Him taking the starters spot and rolling with it should be the next step in his progression. Personally, I want him to get to that point before coming over. Excel against the SHL 1st.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's not the worst thing if Sandstrom can't come over until 2020:
Hart 2018, maybe start 2019 in the AHL
Sandstrom 2020
Ustimenko 2021

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->