Prospect Info: Round 3, Pick 70: Felix Sandstrom, G, Brynas J20 (Sweden)

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Having serious trouble with his hiatal hernia and in turn it is meaning he cannot properly hydrate when playing or training, and is also having trouble with nutrition and food too.

Heavy physical exercise therefore is pretty much a no go... he was playing through it to start the year but seemingly issue worsened.

Stefan Bengtzén om Felix Sandströms magproblem

He is still running a bit, exercising and staying in shape. But they are in the process of liaising with doctors to see what the best way forward is to deal with the issue. But no timetable.

It is not thought that it will affect him long term though.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Having serious trouble with his hiatal hernia and in turn it is meaning he cannot properly hydrate when playing or training, and is also having trouble with nutrition and food too.
Heavy physical exercise therefore is pretty much a no go... he was playing through it to start the year but seemingly issue worsened.
Stefan Bengtzén om Felix Sandströms magproblem
He is still running a bit, exercising and staying in shape. But they are in the process of liaising with doctors to see what the best way forward is to deal with the issue. But no timetable.

It is not thought that it will affect him long term though.

That's good to hear. We are so utterly permajinxed when it comes to goaltenders - it would be hard to believe if it weren't so grindingly everpresent. I guess a positive way to see this is that we can stagger the G prospects a little, since Felix will probably need more time moving forward than he otherwise would have. The position was always the longest-term anyway, so hopefully no one was holding their breath before this.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Felix Sandström has been loaned out to IK Oskarshamn in the Allsvenskan.

The agreement is until February 15th. Sandström says he feels good, and has been exercising properly for a month now.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
He was holding his own against men in a very good league despite this medical condition.
I imagine he will only get better and better if he can work out properly and focus on playing hockey now.

Reactions: Appleyard

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Stopped 20/22 on debut for Oskarshamn. They won 3-2

Apparently was amazing in the third period especially. Named first star of the game: Efterlängtad trepoängare för IKO: "Fantastiskt skönt" - Barometern

Both goals against on PP's.

Big win really, they have been slipping ever closer to relegation play-off spots.

Great to see he made it through the whole game with no ill effects. But guess they were sure after he has been working out properly for a month or so.

Would be interested to know if he did have the surgery or if they managed to get diet etc right and manage it... no news in that regard yet.

Reactions: Stizzle

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Stopped 20/22 on debut for Oskarshamn. They won 3-2

Apparently was amazing in the third period especially. Named first star of the game: Efterlängtad trepoängare för IKO: "Fantastiskt skönt" - Barometern

Both goals against on PP's.

Big win really, they have been slipping ever closer to relegation play-off spots.

Great to see he made it through the whole game with no ill effects. But guess they were sure after he has been working out properly for a month or so.

Would be interested to know if he did have the surgery or if they managed to get diet etc right and manage it... no news in that regard yet.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he had the surgery. Probably on a steady course of proton pump inhibitors, too.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Wouldn’t be surprised if he had the surgery. Probably on a steady course of proton pump inhibitors, too.

I hope that is the case. Because if he had the surgery it was therefore a success, and the issue is unlikely to re-occur. Whereas if simply controlled could easily flair up again... at which point would be surgery anyway.

The time-span does fit for surgery+recovery though from when it was all reported in November to him now being back after a ~month training properly.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So nice to see him back with a bang.

The hiatal hernia was pretty scary and could have potentially been a lot more serious.

I mean, he has legit #1 upside. He might be the most athletic goalie prospect around.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Reactions: Tripod

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
He was named 1st star again today.

2 games.
2 wins.
2x 1st star.

Derbyhjälten slog till igen: ”Känns sjukt bra” - Barometern
Efterlängtad trepoängare för IKO: "Fantastiskt skönt" - Barometern

Oskarshamn would probably be 2 points above the relegation zone right now without Flyers prospects...

between him and Lycksell that is 9 points they have been the main reason the team got!

7th in the table now... would quite possibly be 12th if not for our guys!
Can you tell me if that league is well below his regular league? Really want to get my hopes back up though. Was about to add him to our proverbial goalie luck.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Can you tell me if that league is well below his regular league? Really want to get my hopes back up though. Was about to add him to our proverbial goalie luck.

Allsvenskan is possibly the best '2nd' tier in European hockey (VHL is only one with an argument...). Everyone is pro there and probably half the players in the league could hold their own in the SHL or better.

The top ~4 teams each year could probably generally hold their own in the SHL and have a chance to avoid relegation.

One of the reasons Sweden is probably the best development environment in Europe for NHL prospects... can loan a player to Allsvenskan and they will be able to play against good, pro, men at a decent level.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Great to hear news about him playing that well again!
I've seen people calling it a lost season for him but going through that will make him stronger mentally.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
between him and Lycksell that is 9 points they have been the main reason the team got!

Five of them against my SSK...

Oskarshamn this season is a disgrace with the way they are loaning players - completely unrelated to Sandström/Lycksell but I have to get it out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->