GDT: Round 2: Game 3 - Fishies @ Avalanche - We Have a Bigger Boat Now

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's because its maddening to see how impactful he can be one game then completely disappear in big games. He did it all last playoffs. We needed him to be a #1 and he disappeared.

Also, if we extend him he will be getting paid like a #1 but is not a #1.
You’ve literally been MIA since Barrie put the team on his back following the all start break and has been one of the best defenseman in all of hockey since then.

This is the first game he wasn’t great in like 3 months. The Avs have been playing “big games” since the beginning of March and Barrie has been the best or one of the best in basically all of them.

You can say he disappears in big games all you want but it’s wrong.

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
I've been really impressed with Hertl so far. I don't have the stats to back any of this up, but he seems to win all the important faceoffs. And both his forecheck and backcheck, and pressure in the neutral zone, seems pretty relentless. Making life hell for any Avs' puck carrier. I didn't realize he was so solid defensively.

Also, folks need to relax on expectations here. Anything can happen, but yeesh. That they're even competitive against SJ is imo impressive. Competing against a veteran playoff team that has a D core of Burns AND Karlsson (and Vlasic) to lean on. If the Avs had the defensive prowess of just one of those guys on the backend, I think it changes the whole complexion of the team.

Avs could use a true #1 right about now...

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
You’ve literally been MIA since Barrie put the team on his back following the all start break and has been one of the best defenseman in all of hockey since then.

This is the first game he wasn’t great in like 3 months. The Avs have been playing “big games” since the beginning of March and Barrie has been the best or one of the best in basically all of them.

You can say he disappears in big games all you want but it’s wrong.

I'm among the most vocal "Trade Barrie" supporters and admit he's played extremely well during the final quarter of the season. Not surprised on his terrible game, it's already known about his inconsistencies and accepted part of his game.

It's not personal, but contract and expansion draft is the reason he needs to go.

Reactions: BigMack29

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Thankfully one of the more vocal ones seems to have been permabanned.

I'm still here...:D

Nacho - Dont Be Crazy.gif

Reactions: BigMack29

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The expansion draft argument of getting rid of Barrie is one of the worst arguments ever. Expansion draft should be reason to keep Barrie so we have depth and a strong blue line after we lose a good player.

All you “trade Barrie cuzzz expansion draft” people realize even if we trade Barrie we still have to lose a player right? Why would we make our team worse AND lose a good hockey player?

Mind numbing.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
I've been really impressed with Hertl so far. I don't have the stats to back any of this up, but he seems to win all the important faceoffs. And both his forecheck and backcheck, and pressure in the neutral zone, seems pretty relentless. Making life hell for any Avs' puck carrier. I didn't realize he was so solid defensively.

Also, folks need to relax on expectations here. Anything can happen, but yeesh. That they're even competitive against SJ is imo impressive. Competing against a veteran playoff team that has a D core of Burns AND Karlsson (and Vlasic) to lean on. If the Avs had the defensive prowess of just one of those guys on the backend, I think it changes the whole complexion of the team.

Avs could use a true #1 right about now...
Yeah ninja has been amazing the past 2 years. He will win a selke soon.

Meier's relentless forecheck will also impress

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
Yeah ninja has been amazing the past 2 years. He will win a selke soon.

Meier's relentless forecheck will also impress
Yeah, I guess I got caught up with his rookie season and there was talk of him beating out mack for the Calder. Kind of just assumed he was an offensive guy (I don't get to watch any hockey outside of the Avs). I could definitely see a Selke in his future.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
I have already accepted that the Avs aren't going to win this series. I am just watching the games with enjoyment that they are still playing hockey in May. The future is bright here guys, lets enjoy this.

Reactions: Avspatti13

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I have already accepted that the Avs aren't going to win this series. I am just watching the games with enjoyment that they are still playing hockey in May. The future is bright here guys, lets enjoy this.

WTF?

We are down 2-1 and can tie the series with a win at home tomorrow night.

Last edited by a moderator:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The way I look at it is, it's really amazing the Avs are still in this series without players like Soderberg, Kerfoot, Jost, Brassard contributing. This players are supposed to be key players yet they haven't done much just about the entire playoffs, but Avs are in the 2nd round and still very much in this series.

Whatever happens this playoffs, I'm hoping for improvements next year. Soderberg is UFA, I think he shouldn't be resigned or signed to a cheap 1 year contract or something. Kerfoot should be traded, not sure what you do with Jost. Brassard definitely gone

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
The way I see it, after the utterly embarrassing 2-3 months of hockey they had, they're extremely fortunate to be in it at all. So, for me, even being in the playoffs is gravy. Being in the second round putting up a fight against SJ? Hell ya.

Regardless, if they can get the top line rolling, like they're capable of, they're absolutely still in it. Could really use one of those monster nights from them tomorrow.

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
Win tomorrow and we are exactly where I wanted to be at the start of the series. Sharks are probably the best team left in the playoffs and if we can win tomorrow we are 2-2, with the momentum. And I've said since the second their series against Vegas ended, the longer this series goes the better for us I think. I've got to believe if we get to game 7 them playing 14 games (two in long OT) in a span of 28 days will be a factor.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is what I was afraid of on the main board, Avs being down 2-1 in the series is now bringing out the neutral who don't know **** and are saying that Avs are only where we are is because Calgary didn't know how to play hockey. Just utter disrespect, Avs had moments in every game that they were the better team.

Agreed, I don't think he ever comes to the hype he had during his rookie season offencively. However, if you factor in that he has good enough offence with his defencive game then holy smokes you're getting a really good player. His defence game has to be one of the most underrated in the league.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Although I agree more with your stance, I think you need to relax a bit lol. Avs are still in it. 2-1 with the next game at the Can is not the end of the world. Btw, before you jump down my throat, I'm still in support of tanking to 31st overall!

I’m in a really bad mood today, I’m going to be picking fights all day. You want the second one, bruh? :D

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
It’s guys like Soderberg, Brassard, and Johnson who have been negatives out there. Really not sure what happened with Soderberg in particular but he is like a 6’-3” teddy bear out there. Can’t do anything on either side of the puck.

This is why people shouldn't get fooled by Kirby Dach's size

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I personally rather be a sore loser than a defeatist. But it honestly comes down to different expectations that every has for this team, TPS probably wants to win as many games as possible and go as far as possible. Give me a heartbroken 30th overall pick than 16th overall as well. CharlesPuck probably still see's this team is far from their goal of reaching the Cup and is happy at the point of where we are. Perhaps people have different coping mechanisms for different situations, not going to say who's is better but I was also super frustrated last night too.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I personally rather be a sore loser than a defeatist. But it honestly comes down to different expectations that every has for this team, TPS probably wants to win as many games as possible and go as far as possible. Give me a heartbroken 30th overall pick than 16th overall as well. CharlesPuck probably still see's this team is far from their goal of reaching the Cup and is happy at the point of where we are. Perhaps people have different coping mechanisms for different situations, not going to say who's is better but I was also super frustrated last night too.

Imagine that, though. :D

My team is one of the final 8 teams in the playoffs. I want us to win as many games as possible and go as far as possible... you know, the entire point of professional sports.

I’ve lost my mind! :scared:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

I was mega pissed last night and into this morning honestly. I about punched a hole through my monitor after giving the Sharks a GG post on the main board haha. Still though, this is a winnable series. Absolutely need the next one though.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I thought they'd win game 3 and lose game 4. If it turns out to be the other way around I can't complain, IMO this is all bonus hockey anyway.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad