GDT: Round 2: Game 3 - Fishies @ Avalanche - We Have a Bigger Boat Now

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The Girard-Makar pairing has been fine. The biggest problem has been the play in front and it has cost the Avs two goals but it was never going to be perfect with Makar making the jump in the playoffs. His positioning has been off and he's not strong enough to take the body so he has to take the stick but he has done neither on those goals. He'll learn and be great. It'll all be fine.

Kudos to the Girard & Makar pairing.

I hate partnering small DMen, but surprised at their effectiveness. The lack of size would be a problem in the defensive zone, but their high IQ is still much better than the sloppy play of the bigger players EJ, Cole and Zadorov. They’re infinitely better that the inconsistent Barrie.

They can skate, pass, defend and have strong IQ. Very impressive for a pair of 20 year olds.

:thumbu:

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Mostly Avs PP sucked, but it's both
Agree both. But the Sharks don't play a passive box/diamond. They pursue and pressure the guy with the puck and anticipate passes. And they didn't guess wrong much tonight. Their pressure to the outside took away the Av's PP time, space and options. And limited the Avs ability to pin point pass via cross ice seams. And constrained the Avs puck possessor into tighter and tighter spaces until all other options were gone. The Sharks executed their PK very well tonight.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The refs didn't cost us the game but oh man were they ever bad to night. The Sharks could do anything they wanted.

That said what costs us the game was the Avs' inability to accept a simple pass and if they did they fumbled the puck soon after. It was such a frustrating game. It looked like the effort was there but nothing was coming out of it because they would lose the puck right away. Wilson was the biggest culprit in not being able to handle the puck. Fumbled it all night long. And oh man was EJ bad tonight or what?

Oh well...on to the next one.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Kudos to the Girard & Makar pairing.

I hate partnering small DMen, but surprised at their effectiveness. The lack of size would be a problem in the defensive zone, but their high IQ is still much better than the sloppy play of the bigger players EJ, Cole and Zadorov. They’re infinitely better that the inconsistent Barrie.

They can skate, pass, defend and have strong IQ. Very impressive for a pair of 20 year olds.

:thumbu:

Not better than Barrie right now but they're good and will only get better. I have little doubt Makar will be a better player than Barrie and that's saying a lot.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Agree both. But the Sharks don't play a passive box/diamond. They pursue and pressure the guy with the puck and anticipate passes. And they didn't guess wrong much tonight. Their pressure to the outside took away the Av's PP time, space and options. And limited the Avs ability to pin point pass via cross ice seams. And constrained the Avs puck possessor into tighter and tighter spaces until all other options were gone. The Sharks executed their PK very well tonight.

Stupid question: Are the Avs capable of switching their PP attack strategy/formation, or, is it something that you don’t mess with, & roll with what you’ve got at this point of the season?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Barrie is considered a puck moving DMan.

Yet, he doesn’t skate well, rarely carries the puck (drop passes), Average stick handling and can’t play Defense. He does have a decent shot, but poor IQ. Most of his points involve points from the Big 3.

Girard, Makar and even EJ/Zadorov carries the puck more often. Unlike the others with better on ice vision, plays scared in the open ice from getting hit.
It's like you've never watched a single Avalanche game and just come here to rip on Tyson Barrie.

Boy do you ever struggle to understand and evaluate talent.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
All it takes is one bad game before all the Barrie trolls come back from the woodwork.

Like clockwork. There’s an utterly useless group of fans on this board who only really show up at certain times.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
The Avs are not in the playoffs without Tyson Barrie. Every player has their flaws, but it blows my mind the constant discussion around Barrie when you look at how consistently productive he is.

Is there a middle ground between OMGeez, pointsss!!! & OMGeez, defensive/scoring lapses? Because, I don’t think Barrie sucks, I don’t want him traded, but I also don’t want to give him $9+ mil a year, due to the defensive & scoring lapses... (crucify me, Barrie backers). :help:

Reactions: avsfan09

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Brassard out there in the last minute lmao. I feel like I'm having a stroke and explaining some other situation. Bednar actually had that useless f***ing plug out there. f*** this guy lol won't see another NHL gig for as long as he's alive.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Is this a practical joke? Barry Melrose is f***ing terrible. His coverage of the NCAA was brutal.

What the hell is going on?

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Wow. Johnson was f***ing putrid tonight. Anyone pointing to Barrie instead of ej as tonight’s scapegoat is strictly pushing a narrative for the sake of stirring shit around. Ooph that first sharks goal was an instant migraine. Not only has ej failed to get shots on net, he’s also been horrible with attempted stretch passes and general decision making

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Sharks fan come in peace.

Just wanted to say I really enjoy how your team plays and Mackinnon is ridiculous (his last rush through our entire team was... insane). After watching Vegas try (and sometimes succeed) to murder our guys, along with their coach and players constantly whining about EVERY call in EVERY game, I've really enjoyed both your team and your fans. Your guys play a really fun brand of hockey and your team is only going to get better.

I think your guys are going to come out hard in Game 4 and my Sharks better be ready for it! GG guys.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs looked nervous to me in that opening shot of them waiting in the locker room to start the game. Think that translated to a lot of the game. Another sluggish first period, poor passing, and just poor handling of the puck far too often in this game. Lots of fumbling pucks.

I’m still less concerned with a Girard-Makar pairing than similar pairings, but they are showing exactly the things I was concerned with as well. Net front coverage for Makar, and lack of passing and puck mobility with the EJ-Cole pairing.

Makar was great again with the puck, but he’s still a bit too green to be covering the front of the net in the NHL. When he’s with Girard, Makar is the one they want covering the net, and unfortunately he’s lost two battles to give up two goals the last couple games. He needs some help in that area until at least next season.

The other concern is having EJ and Cole handle the puck more with Girard and Makar together, and unfortunately EJ cost them tonight with a terrible outlet pass. Made worse by Cole changing at the worst time, so he couldn’t help cover. EJ has got to wake up and start playing like he did against the Flames though, or this team may be toast.

That said, I’m still ok with Bednar keeping Girard and Makar together in spot duty like they were doing before. Not full time like he did tonight. I think that’s just asking for too much trouble until Makar gets better adjusted to the NHL.

Grubauer was good again tonight, but I didn’t like that third goal he gave up after the Avs tied it. Couture faked him out to go down early, and it left too much open net to shoot at. Would have like to see Barrie realize that MacKinnon was in position to cover Meier, and be more aggresive with his stick to deflect the puck away, but it was a pretty quick play.

Didn't like Landy's game tonight. Looked like he was hurt or something. Just not very effective, and wasn't making great decisions. Too passive as well. Need to see him come out with a big performance next game.

Thought Barrie was off tonight too. Didn’t look great with the puck, and didn’t have a good shooting mentality. Finished with 0 shots for the first time in a month and half. Last time he finished with 0 shots was March 15th against the Ducks. He's been outstanding lately, so he's one of the few that gets a pass tonight.

Avs need to show more desperation to start next game. They need to have a great start, and they need to finish their chances. No more missed opportunities. They need to approach it like a game 7, because SJ is gonna be pumped up to close it out in their building if they lose. That's gonna be a tough one to win.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
Barrie played great during the last month; which were pretty much all playoff type games. We need to keep him. I was one of the many who wanted him traded, those days are over. We can have him AND Makar. Not many teams have two puck moving dmen, but those bastards we’re playing now do.

Trade EJ before Barrie!

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
This is a tough loss, they found a way to come back and then blew it right after. I guess game 4 will show us how tough they are mentally. There's no point in blaming one player, there were way too many passengers out there today.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
The Avs are not in the playoffs without Tyson Barrie. Every player has their flaws, but it blows my mind the constant discussion around Barrie when you look at how consistently productive he is.

Tbf, it's only a few, very vocal people trying to start the discussion.

Just wanted to say I really enjoy how your team plays and Mackinnon is ridiculous (his last rush through our entire team was... insane). After watching Vegas try (and sometimes succeed) to murder our guys, along with their coach and players constantly whining about EVERY call in EVERY game, I've really enjoyed both your team and your fans. Your guys play a really fun brand of hockey and your team is only going to get better.

I think your guys are going to come out hard in Game 4 and my Sharks better be ready for it! GG guys.

God, sharks fans are the WORST.

(I refuse to use the sarcasm emoji)

Reactions: Jargon

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

If it means anything, ya'll are worlds better than Flames fans, too.

Reactions: Jargon

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
I can't say anything about the 2nd and 3rd period because I haven't watched them yet. EJ's assist on San Jose's 2nd goal made me rage quit the game and check the final score. We were lucky not to be down by four goals after the first period and I'm curious why the Avs decided to forget everything they had learned in the first two games of the series. Three or four guys played playoff hockey, the rest of the team probably thought they had already won the series in game two.

Also, Avs can't pay EJ $6M for four more years. He's not a top pairing dman anymore.

Reactions: Barklez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad