GDT: Round 2: Game 3 - Fishies @ Avalanche - We Have a Bigger Boat Now

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
The Avs are not in the playoffs without Tyson Barrie. Every player has their flaws, but it blows my mind the constant discussion around Barrie when you look at how consistently productive he is.
Agreed, I did want to trade him after seeing Makar though he needs to stay imo Makar can replace EJ.

Least start of next season Makar won't be as green getting in at least 10 quality playoff games.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Watching the playoffs makes losing the lottery hurt a little bit more. A Hughes or Kakko transforms this team’s outlook for the future, but it is what it is.

Ultimately, the Sharks are a deeper team than we are, even with injury. Their GM hasn’t been able to get them over the top but it’s not for lack of trying, we’re looking st 15+ straight years of smart drafting and trading to stay competitive.

We are missing an entire second line worth of players, and have a problem that we’re paying a 6 million dollar dman to perform like a bottom pairing guy. Let’s see what Sakic can do, these next two off seasons are going to be a huge test for him.

For the time being, let’s hope to see a stronger effort from the boys in game 4.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Watching the playoffs makes losing the lottery hurt a little bit more. A Hughes or Kakko transforms this team’s outlook for the future, but it is what it is.

Ultimately, the Sharks are a deeper team than we are, even with injury. Their GM hasn’t been able to get them over the top but it’s not for lack of trying, we’re looking st 15+ straight years of smart drafting and trading to stay competitive.

We are missing an entire second line worth of players, and have a problem that we’re paying a 6 million dollar dman to perform like a bottom pairing guy. Let’s see what Sakic can do, these next two off seasons are going to be a huge test for him.

For the time being, let’s hope to see a stronger effort from the boys in game 4.

True. Kakko or Hughes and this team would be insane. Add to that one good UFA and we would be one of the best teams. The scoring depth is hurting us a lot right now.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
The bright side here is even if the Avs get bounced by the Sharks, it is not because of the core players.
Landeskog, Rantanen, MacKinnon, Barrie, Girard, Makar, Zadorov and Grubauer are all playing well and contributing to wins.

It’s guys like Soderberg, Brassard, and Johnson who have been negatives out there. Really not sure what happened with Soderberg in particular but he is like a 6’-3” teddy bear out there. Can’t do anything on either side of the puck.

We all knew the Avs weren’t going to go 16-2 and win the cup. They’ve given the Sharks a good run so far. Time to see if the young team can shake the nerves and pressure and finally play a full 60 minutes against a Veteran team.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Tough decisions always occur, one tough decision that has to be made sooner than later is to trade EJ. His game is deteriorating fast. At this point I'd rather Nemeth be it there.

EJ has looked old and slow the entire playoffs. He doesn't bring any offense, and can't get shots through to save his life which is a big time liability, because it leads to rushes the other way. Makes poor decisions constantly. Can't skate well enough to reliably get the puck out of his own end. It's just bad play pretty much consistently for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaltySkywalker

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Haven't read what's going on, but not sure how anybody can defend Barrie today. Again one game doesn't make a difference, but the lad is just so inconsistent at the times we really need him to step up. It's not that he can go out there and stat-whack up to 70 points per season, but when the game is at crunch time he tends to be on the mistake portion side of spectrum. He had a great game 2, but definitely seeing that he might not be able to step up his intensity when we're down a goal.

I don't know... dude stepped it up at the end of the regular season to carry our secondary scoring when we really needed it. Everyone was fumbling pucks left right and centre tonight, it looked sloppy everywhere, and not just Barrie.
Barrie played a f*** ton in that 3rd period. Dude was gassed:

20182019-30243-shiftchart.png

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
Wow. Johnson was ****ing putrid tonight. Anyone pointing to Barrie instead of ej as tonight’s scapegoat is strictly pushing a narrative for the sake of stirring **** around. Ooph that first sharks goal was an instant migraine. Not only has ej failed to get shots on net, he’s also been horrible with attempted stretch passes and general decision making
Yeah but but but EJ is loyal. That's two games in a row he has cost us big time. His defense has turned into diving toward the play and hoping the defense will tapt it into his body. Barrie on a bad night out plays EJ every night. Bednar sees it too. Lowest ice time of all our D. I miss the old warrior

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I’m mad sad today, will probably be like this until game 4 tomorrow night.

Needless to say, we have to win that shit or the season is over.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don’t even understand why Barrie is taking more hate than any other player. He had a couple of real rough shifts but he also had some dominant shifts. At least he has some good to offset the bad. That’s usually the case with high event players. EJ on the other hand only had bad moments. No good. He deserves to be ridiculed over and over until he does something positive.

Landy was also very bad last night. Unfortunate since he’s been so good.

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
This was a playoff experience loss... as much as it stings, it is a great lesson for this team to learn.
Was just going to post this. First game they looked nervous and the moment got to them. The fumbling of pucks and sloppy play. The Sharks were able to crank it up a notch after the first 10 minutes and after the Avs 2nd goal. Something the Avs will hopefully learn from.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Last night just proved again, when we play our game we can compete with, and out perform, the sharks. After the first avs goal we pretty much took over. The sharks third goal was a backbreaker completely against the flow of the game at that point.

If we could figure out how to play a full 60 then I think we are the better team.

EJ sadly was garbage. I'm still not sold on Makar getting the time he is getting yet - he is still shakey and making mistakes. We missed the grit and determination of Calvert. Big Z was our best defender. The kid is an absolute animal and more likely than most on the team to do something big to turn momentum. 12 hits! And most of them were monsters. Sign Z long term!

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Jost needs a promotion next game, 100%.

Jost's ranks on the team in CF%, Scoring Chances%, xGF% at 3rd (behind Gehtto and Makar), 2nd (Behind Ghetto), 2nd (Behind Bourque) and he actually looks faster out there then mid season. Dude's got fresh legs, let him use them. He's a beast on the forecheck. I'd love to see him with Landy and MacK again in Kerfoot's spot.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Do not agree with this, Avs still make the playoffs and extinguish the Flames on the back of MacKinnon. Nonetheless as I mentioned before, Avs can get by with Johnson and Cole making mistakes (too many from Johnson today though). If we expect to beat the Sharks we need Barrie at his best, today he wasn't and was one the reasons why we lost.
EJ had the one gaffe, but statistically speaking his xGF% was the best out of all the D on the team hovering around 75%, on the other end of the spectrum Barrie was worst on the team at 30%.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Jost's ranks on the team in CF%, Scoring Chances%, xGF% at 3rd (behind Gehtto and Makar), 2nd (Behind Ghetto), 2nd (Behind Bourque) and he actually looks faster out there then mid season. Dude's got fresh legs, let him use them. He's a beast on the forecheck. I'd love to see him with Landy and MacK again in Kerfoot's spot.
He looks absolutely amazing. It's driving me insane how little he's being used.

Considering how useless Kerfoot and Soderberg have been.

Reactions: Veritas0Aequitas

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Barrie needs to be a little more selfish and create for himself and make himself more multidimensional.. in Game 1 of the series he had 12 individual shot attempts (at all situations), in Game 2 he had 5... last night in 25 mins of ice time he had 1... ONE.... that's not acceptable for his calibre of play. Grip it and rip it next game Tyson... especially on the PP please.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
EJ had the one gaffe, but statistically speaking his xGF% was the best out of all the D on the team hovering around 75%, on the other end of the spectrum Barrie was worst on the team at 30%.

To the eye test, yes EJ looked like shit... and the coaching staff has responded in giving him less and less ice time. 10:28 last night at 5 on 5....lowest of all the D, next closest was Cole at 13:06.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
This was a playoff experience loss... as much as it stings, it is a great lesson for this team to learn.

Yep. I think we came in a little over-confident and the Sharks put us in our place real quick. By the time we turned it on it was too late.

We need to play with urgency right from the 1st puck drop.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
I don’t even understand why Barrie is taking more hate than any other player. He had a couple of real rough shifts but he also had some dominant shifts. At least he has some good to offset the bad. That’s usually the case with high event players. EJ on the other hand only had bad moments. No good. He deserves to be ridiculed over and over until he does something positive.

Landy was also very bad last night. Unfortunate since he’s been so good.

It's because its maddening to see how impactful he can be one game then completely disappear in big games. He did it all last playoffs. We needed him to be a #1 and he disappeared.

Also, if we extend him he will be getting paid like a #1 but is not a #1.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
SJ is a good team. I wish we played Vegas. That stupid penalty where the Sharks got 3 PP goals cost us too.

Burns is a top 10 player in the league. Karlsson is a top 3 D man and Vlasic is arguably the best shut down Dman. It doesn't get much tougher than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad