Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Jost one assist
Kerfoot one assist
Soderberg one assist

So far that's what those 3 have in the entire playoffs

Soderberg at least has size and does some sports of battle in corners and stuff, but Jost and Kerfoot are completely useless players when they dont put up offensive numbers.

All 3 need to be replaced sooner than later.

Geez, interesting time to shit on Jost given that he was one of the guys out there playing reasonably well.

I still wonder why the solution to complementary players not producing against tough competition is to get rid of said players instead of adding better players above them on the depth chart.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I still can't see Meier without giggling that SJ took him over Rantanen.

Trust me, most of us were shocked. That said, at least Timo has stepped it up this season and has shown potential to be a dominant power forward. Still would have preferred MR in hindsight, but most of us are not disappointed with the player Timo has become.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That third Sharks goal was so bad all around. Landeskog turns it over, Zadorov leaves the zone to chase a hit, Rantanen is wandering around outside the zone, and Barrie basically does nothing as the lone man back. Surprisingly, MacKinnon actually did a decent job of hustling back to prevent the pass but it didn't matter.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Trust me, most of us were shocked. That said, at least Timo has stepped it up this season and has shown potential to be a dominant power forward. Still would have preferred MR in hindsight, but most of us are not disappointed with the player Timo has become.

At least you weren't a Florida fan when we took Rantanen right ahead of them and they got stuck with Crouse. Their board was livid. Rantanen falling to us at 10 was a damn miracle.

Reactions: Boy Hedican

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
At least you weren't a Florida fan when we took Rantanen right ahead of them and they got stuck with Crouse. Their board was livid. Rantanen falling to us at 10 was a damn miracle.

I remember not really following that draft super well, but knowing that as long as we didn't take Crouse I'd be happy.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
I love how my original message got flipped around and twisted.

All I was saying is that I am super happy the Avs are still playing hockey in May. Somehow that got turned into me not caring and not wanting the Avs to win any more games.... yikes!

I hope they win the next three and I will be watching every period, on the edge of my seat.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
As a former Barrie hater, I can honestly say that he is nowhere even close to being as bad as EJ and Cole are this series. And I really don't get it at all. These are your veteran guys that are supposed to lead by example. They are supposed to be the ones you can count on. EJ has talked about being depressed that he missed the playoffs last year, but here he is, blowing his chance to make a real impact in this year's run. I don't get it, these are very stupid mistakes that a veteran D-man should not be making. Where's the Condor?

And on the other side of the coin, you have guys like Jost, LBN, JTC, and Calvert who are here to ******** play. They are upping their game, like they are supposed to do, for the playoffs. And even when they aren't scoring, they are bringing energy and winning one-on-one battles, trying to contribute. They aren't being huge liabilities, and I'm very proud of those guys. It just too bad that others aren't following their lead.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Geez, interesting time to **** on Jost given that he was one of the guys out there playing reasonably well.

I still wonder why the solution to complementary players not producing against tough competition is to get rid of said players instead of adding better players above them on the depth chart.
If Jost isnt producing as a top 6 forward, he's not that useful. You cant have bunch of smaller type forwards who should be top 6, not producing and playing on bottom 6, it does nothing to help the team.

Just ask Tampa how having 3 or 4 lines of smaller forwards working out for them. You need good balance of skilled offensive top 2 lines and bigger, tougher, grinder type forwards on bottom 2. That's how teams succeed in playoffs

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If Jost isnt producing as a top 6 forward, he's not that useful. You cant have bunch of smaller type forwards who should be top 6, not producing and playing on bottom 6, it does nothing to help the team.

Just ask Tampa how having 3 or 4 lines of smaller forwards working out for them. You need good balance of skilled offensive top 2 lines and bigger, tougher, grinder type forwards on bottom 2. That's how teams succeed in playoffs
At this point, you have to switch Soderberg and Jost. It's just not working with Soderberg, whereas Jost is flying out there and creating a ton.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Those saying that Jost hasn't been producing should note that Soderberg has 0 goals, and 1 assist in 8 games. At least Jost brings some speed and creativity, and he looks dangerous. Carl looks like he's 45 years old.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
That third Sharks goal was so bad all around. Landeskog turns it over, Zadorov leaves the zone to chase a hit, Rantanen is wandering around outside the zone, and Barrie basically does nothing as the lone man back. Surprisingly, MacKinnon actually did a decent job of hustling back to prevent the pass but it didn't matter.
The thing is, of all the shots that could have happened, that’s probably the one you would rather give up since the angle wasn’t great. I didn’t really like the goal on Grubauer.

AFK

Jan 8, 2014

I get your point, but you can't produce as top 6 when you're not getting top 6 minutes, and without top 6 linemates. Kerfoot on the other hand...yikes.

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
At this point, you have to switch Soderberg and Jost. It's just not working with Soderberg, whereas Jost is flying out there and creating a ton.
Yeah, I don't see the harm in trying (outside of the breaking up the 4th line awesomeness)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I'd be surprised if Bednar did it but I wouldn't be opposed to it. Jost has been playing well and creating some chances that aren't being finished. Will he play well and create those chances with a bigger role and against better competition? I'm not sure but they're currently getting nothing from Soderberg. I think if Soderberg is demoted then him switching spots with Compher might be more realistic.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd be surprised if Bednar did it but I wouldn't be opposed to it. Jost has been playing well and creating some chances that aren't being finished. Will he play well and create those chances with a bigger role and against better competition? I'm not sure but they're currently getting nothing from Soderberg. I think if Soderberg is demoted then him switching spots with Compher might be more realistic.
I'm currently wondering what the **** would be accomplished whether Jost is making plays for Brassard/Andrighetto/Bourque, or whether he's making plays for Wilson/Kerfoot. The same result is likely to be achieved lol.

AFK

Jan 8, 2014
Yeah, I was just gonna suggest to also giving JTC a try; and maybe even with Rants there again with either of them. Might actually get a semi-competent 2nd line together.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm currently wondering what the **** would be accomplished whether Jost is making plays for Brassard/Andrighetto/Bourque, or whether he's making plays for Wilson/Kerfoot. The same result is likely to be achieved lol.

I can't even hate on Wilson right now and you know that's tough because of what I think of his hands. He has scored some big goals in the playoffs. I certainly don't think he should be in the top six but he has played reasonably well and doesn't come off as useless even when he's not scoring like Brassard.

Reactions: Arcade Fire

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I can't even hate on Wilson right now and you know that's tough because of what I think of his hands. He has scored some big goals in the playoffs. I certainly don't think he should be in the top six but he has played reasonably well and doesn't come off as useless even when he's not scoring like Brassard.
While true, I still can't get over his hands. They're so bad. Yesterday was a clinic on how not to stickhandle by Colin Wilson. Every time he touched the puck, he lost it.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Team simply doesn't have enough depth to cause consistent problems for the Sharks. Kerfoot is a huge weak link on the top line, and when's he's off it for Rantanen no other line can do anything.

The difference with Calgary is the Sharks' D and coaching. Sharks have more really good defencemen causing problems at both ends, and the coach had the bright idea of clogging the neutral zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foppa2118

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
The thing is, of all the shots that could have happened, that’s probably the one you would rather give up since the angle wasn’t great. I didn’t really like the goal on Grubauer.

It was VERY similar to a bad goal he gave up during the regular season to Evander Kane in almost the exact same spot. And he did almost the exact same thing--he pulled away from the post because he was anticipating a pass. At times he's not the best at reading the play.

Still, I pin about 90% of that goal on Landeskog's unnecessary, careless, weak-ass clearing attempt. AJ noted he had been pulling that shit previously in the game and it hadn't quite yet bitten them in the ass until then. Just a really, really bad game from him, which unfortunately happens.

I'd also pin some of the momentum shift following the tying goal from yet another disastrous shift by EJ prior to Couture's game-winner. He was once again caught chasing the play very badly around the end-boards and behind the net. I'm really taken aback at how poorly he's looked in this series thus far.

This is not directed at anyone in particular but...I'd caution people, including myself, at getting too enamored with Grubauer. He's posted elite-level numbers at the best possible time, but this is still the same guy who simply could not buy a save through a pretty good portion of the regular season. The truth may lie somewhere in the middle of those extremes...at least I hope that's the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->