GDT: Round 2: Game 3 - Fishies @ Avalanche - We Have a Bigger Boat Now

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I was mega pissed last night and into this morning honestly. I about punched a hole through my monitor after giving the Sharks a GG post on the main board haha. Still though, this is a winnable series. Absolutely need the next one though.
The worst aspect is having to see that very punchable face of Couture's and his hattrack be a headline post everywhere I go to for scrolling hockey news. I wouldn't consider having type A personality good though Mission, these people are more prone to earlier deaths due to increased and early formation of atherosclerosis and myocardium infraction.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
You severely lack any perspective if you can't enjoy watching hockey as the entertainment it is. If losing one game makes you this riled up, that is on you bud.
You're right that sports in reality is entertainment, but USA is probably the only country on Earth who see's it this way. Go to Mexico to watch a futball match, go to Rome and experience Roma/Lazio (fans don't give a **** if they win the league, as long as they beat their rival), go to majority of Europe where futball and even hockey has crazy fans, go to Scotland to watch rugby, go to Germany to watch handball, go to Australia to watch cricket, and go to Tokyo to watch a baseball game. Every single of these countries consider sports more than just "entertainment".

Reactions: missionAvs

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
The worst aspect is having to see that very punchable face of Couture's and his hattrack be a headline post everywhere I go to for scrolling hockey news. I wouldn't consider having type A personality good though Mission, these people are more prone to earlier deaths due to increased and early formation of atherosclerosis and myocardium infraction.

The cigars, alcohol, and gambling say “challenge accepted.”

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I personally rather be a sore loser than a defeatist. But it honestly comes down to different expectations that every has for this team, TPS probably wants to win as many games as possible and go as far as possible. Give me a heartbroken 30th overall pick than 16th overall as well. CharlesPuck probably still see's this team is far from their goal of reaching the Cup and is happy at the point of where we are. Perhaps people have different coping mechanisms for different situations, not going to say who's is better but I was also super frustrated last night too.
I agree everyone seems to view this team in their own personal way. And that's fine.

I take the standpoint of we made the playoffs, there is no reason we shouldn't win the Cup. The goal should be to win the Cup not just be satisfied we made the 2nd round.

It makes me angry when I watch us play the way we did last night in such a big game.

I'm not big on moral victories or geting learning experience. You play to win. If you don't win, you lose. End of discussion.

If the Avs want to be big time players, then start acting like it. Don't a play a mid December level game, when it's game 3 of the second round in a 1-1 series.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Whatever happens this playoffs, I'm hoping for improvements next year. Soderberg is UFA, I think he shouldn't be resigned or signed to a cheap 1 year contract or something. Kerfoot should be traded, not sure what you do with Jost. Brassard definitely gone

Soderberg is still under contract through next season. UFA after 19-20.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sore loser and defeatist are fine when describing the actual participants in an event. But as fans, and you can't enjoy the games and the progress this team has made, then thats something else all together.
I haven't been able to enjoy these playoffs (when I mean these, I mean our games) because I want our team to win above all costs. I've already gotten rid of 2 years of my life already...I mean what's the point of watching if the Avs aren't in it to win and you don't have a feeling of anxiety? And why can't I adopt the same ideology as them? I've played hockey since I was three, I understand what teams are feeling at certain times and probably what TPS also has too. It is almost a sixth sense of competition.

Last edited:

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
This place is funny. Does nobody remember the saying "can't get too high when you win, or too low when you lose?"

Goodness.

We didn't play very good last night and were STILL tied with 8 minutes left.

Rebound and win tomorrow and this series is up for grabs. If they lose both games at home they don't deserve to win

Side note....would be nice if the opposing goalie didn't have a great night just once. We haven't scored a soft goal yet in 8 playoff games.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I haven't been able to enjoy these playoffs (when I these, I mean our games) because I want our team to win above all costs. I've already gotten rid of 2 years of my life already...I mean what's the point of watching if the Avs aren't in it to win and you don't have a feeling of anxiety? And why can't I adopt the same ideology as them? I've played hockey since I was three, I understand what teams are feeling at certain times and probably what TPS also has too. It is almost a sixth sense of competition.

Yeah, this.

I won’t continue since it’s getting me warnings.

Go Avs.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
What’s the point of being a fan of a sports team if you don’t want them to always win? Every game, every period, no matter the stakes or how stacked the odds are against them, I’m always cheering for the Avs to win. I always believe they can win. Even if I know a loss is likely, or even unavoidable, I’m not going to stop cheering for and wanting an Avalanche victory.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I haven't had a beta since I was 10 years old.
You alphas and you betas think you’re all there is in this world. Let me let you in on something: omegas exist, and we’re powerful, and we are the ones that control society. Yeah, you think you’re so cool with your big brother alphas, but guess what? The last thing you’ll ever see is one of us. An omega.

So rise up, omegas! Time to take this thread back from the alphas and the betas!

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
While I don’t expect the Avs to win the Cup, last years’ playoffs were my “just happy to be here”. Also, I’m sure I “take this too seriously”, as “it’s only a game” (a phrase which should be barred from speech for at least the 1st hour following a loss, but losing winnable games will always leave a festering wound inside me until the next one.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bummer of a game, but I'm still impressed that the team basically flatlined for the better part of two periods against an absolutely dominant San Jose squad that was firing on all cylinders, Grubauer (though I'm not at all blaming him) was less-than-stellar, and still managed to tie it up late. We know they're capable of playing bad hockey as they proved last night and during the early 2019 swoon, but they're also capable of fighting back.

Unfortunately you simply can't win when guys like Johnson and Landeskog play like they did last night. They were simply horrid, not even "average." Guys like Soderberg and I hope they bounce back and turn in a big effort in game 4, but give credit to the Sharks--they had a gameplan and they executed it to near-perfection.

I still think this squad is on the verge of becoming elite, but they need to make some more changes this offseason toward that goal. I'm not gonna sit here and say that Erik Johnson needs to be on the chopping block, but this is just another worrying sign that he's simply not aging well. Injuries might explain why he looks so abominably slow, but nothing can excuse that ridiculous turnover during a line change he committed in the 1st. But I think the conversation is going to shift quite a bit this offseason from everyone kinda assuming Barrie is going to be traded to EJ possibly moving on.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Soderberg is still under contract through next season. UFA after 19-20.
Ah ok.

Actually that's not bad since whoever Avs draft at #4 probably wont be NHL ready next season, so the Avs could use another year of Soderberg I guess

Reactions: Avalanche

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Jost one assist
Kerfoot one assist
Soderberg one assist

So far that's what those 3 have in the entire playoffs

Soderberg at least has size and does some sports of battle in corners and stuff, but Jost and Kerfoot are completely useless players when they dont put up offensive numbers.

All 3 need to be replaced sooner than later.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Jost one assist
Kerfoot one assist
Soderberg one assist

So far that's what those 3 have in the entire playoffs

Soderberg at least has size and does some sports of battle in corners and stuff, but Jost and Kerfoot are completely useless players when they dont put up offensive numbers.

All 3 need to be replaced sooner than later.

Jost has been far better than his production would have you believe. Kerfoot and Soda have been pretty rough though.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I dunno.

If you play non-stop hockey - including the SCP games - for 7 months straight, you're gonna lay some stink bombs once in a while.

Last night was a stink bomb against a very good team. San Jose laid a couple of turds against Vegas and still won the series. It's impossible to play lights out, no mistake, emotional hockey every single night. It's real people, not SonyPlaystation. The SCP are all about crazy swings in emotion, style and intensity. It's back and forth across the board.

Win tomorrow and all is forgiven. I'm betting the Avs come out fast and pissed off. If they don't . . .

Then San Jose deserves it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad