GDT: Round 2: Game 3 - Fishies @ Avalanche - We Have a Bigger Boat Now

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Giggle all you want, Timo Meier is playing better than Mikko Rantanen this series. He's a force out there.

Will do.

upload_2019-5-1_13-4-48.png

But good for Meier playing well this series.

Reactions: MacBradley

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If Jost isnt producing as a top 6 forward, he's not that useful. You cant have bunch of smaller type forwards who should be top 6, not producing and playing on bottom 6, it does nothing to help the team.

Just ask Tampa how having 3 or 4 lines of smaller forwards working out for them. You need good balance of skilled offensive top 2 lines and bigger, tougher, grinder type forwards on bottom 2. That's how teams succeed in playoffs

Maybe only one or two players in the world are going to produce like a top 6 forward getting 7-9 minutes a night.

There doesn't seem to be anything Jost can do to get more ice time from Bednar. He's played very well since his AHL callup and really improved his skating while he was down there too. Even when he had 5 points in 5 games, and finished the season with 3 points in 3 games, he didn't get much ice time.

Unfortunately I'm not expecting that to change this year, even though Soda clearly hasn't been effective at all, and deserves to be swapped with Jost for at least one period to give him a shot.

Reactions: avsfan09

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not to mention Jost has been playing a lot of 4th line minutes alongside two guys who just don't have a lot of finish in Bourque and Andrighetto. And I'd argue Brassard has been a complete non-factor.

Do I wish Jost had more finish to his game? Absolutely, yes, and that's gonna have to happen here sooner or later--he's running out of excuses. That said, the guy we're seeing right now is nothing like the complete ghost we saw during most of the regular season. I have no illusions of him coming anywhere close to his draft status expectations, but I think there's a legit player in there. As to what exact type of player he is, a top-six winger or more complementary two-way/3rd line guy, we'll get a better idea next season.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Yeah it's "amazing" how Kane has a single 2min penalty in the first 3 games against us after 41min in the 1st round. Once again there was more to the game than the missed calls that cost us the W, but that guy is getting away with everything lately.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Kane grabbed Barrie's jersey to get ahead of him to the loose puck and shoot at the empty net. Harder to tell with the choppy gif. Fortunately it didn't go in, but that's a blatant penalty.

i dont know. i agree the others could have been penalties but that one kane barely touched him. i think barrie knew he was going to get beat and tried to dive into where he thought kane would go while trying to make it look like a penalty.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
i dont know. i agree the others could have been penalties but that one kane barely touched him. i think barrie knew he was going to get beat and tried to dive into where he thought kane would go while trying to make it look like a penalty.

Barrie dove for the puck after Kane pulled him back. He's not giving up on the puck with an empty net to embellish there, when he doesn't know what Kane's doing behind him. He's just going to stay in front of him. Kane tugged on his jersey and slingshot passed him.

Again, not why they lost though.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Barrie dove for the puck after Kane pulled him back. He's not giving up on the puck with an empty net to embellish there, when he doesn't know what Kane's doing behind him. He's just going to stay in front of him. Kane tugged on his jersey and slingshot passed him.

Again, not why they lost though.

I hope you're right because I definitely saw it the other way last night and was quite disappointed in Barrie.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I hope you're right because I definitely saw it the other way last night and was quite disappointed in Barrie.

Even with Barrie's great wheels, he doesn't have a great first few steps. I think it's likely due to his edges. He probably has a pretty deep cut which helps with his quick turns and edge work.

All it takes is a little tug on the hip during those first few steps to throw off your stride and balance because he hasn't generated enough momentum yet. It's an old hockey trick you used to be able to get away with all the time. With an EN you have to call it.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Sharks have more to prove and more to play for than the Avs, and they're the hungrier team. They've been making the playoffs for many years without winning the cup, their window is closing as their key guys getting older, and they wanna win one for Thornton, where the Avs are the young, up and coming team

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Still really disappointed with this loss. Like others have said, it feels like certain players aren't giving the most that they could.

I don't know what's wrong with Landy, but it looked like he ran the Boston Marathon before the game last night. Never seen him that sluggish.

Disappointed with Bedz as well. It's obvious that both EJ and Cole can't handle all these big minutes without becoming liabilities, so Nemeth could be used to help them out some. He played a really solid game against Calgary, so let him pick up some slack.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Sharks have more to prove and more to play for than the Avs, and they're the hungrier team. They've been making the playoffs for many years without winning the cup, their window is closing as their key guys getting older, and they wanna win one for Thornton, where the Avs are the young, up and coming team
Which is why it would be incredible to win a cup before our window has even opened. Imagine the amount of success we could have over the next 6-8 years if we won this year.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
TBH... As awesome as it would be to go all the way this year, I think even if we bow out in the 2nd round this season is a massive success once again.

Not only did we repeat the playoff appearance from last year, now we've also gotten past the first round. You know damn well the boys on this team are going to be as hungry as it gets next season after getting a taste of the real playoff experience this season. It's one thing to make the playoffs and last year we were happy to just be playing playoff hockey. This year they came in with an attitude of hey we've made it twice now lets go do something with our run this year.

So I can only imagine the attitude and motivation they'll have next season after a 2nd round appearance this year. Throw in a couple of savvy moves to strengthen the depth of our forward group plus the addition of IMHO a Game changer on the back end in Makar as soon as next season... I legit think that winning the cup should be fair goal to set for next season.

And again, winning this year is still absolutely on the table and would be truly awesome as well. No doubt the boys in that locker room still very clearly believe they can win it all this year and that's what matters right now.

We're coming out in Game 4 with an absolute monster game and then bringing this series back to Denver for game 6 with a chance to finish things off. The boys are gonna find those skating legs and the Sharks just aren't going to have an answer for it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
TBH... As awesome as it would be to go all the way this year, I think even if we bow out in the 2nd round this season is a massive success once again.

Not only did we repeat the playoff appearance from last year, now we've also gotten past the first round. You know damn well the boys on this team are going to be as hungry as it gets next season after getting a taste of the real playoff experience this season. It's one thing to make the playoffs and last year we were happy to just be playing playoff hockey. This year they came in with an attitude of hey we've made it twice now lets go do something with our run this year.

So I can only imagine the attitude and motivation they'll have next season after a 2nd round appearance this year. Throw in a couple of savvy moves to strengthen the depth of our forward group plus the addition of IMHO a Game changer on the back end in Makar as soon as next season... I legit think that winning the cup should be fair goal to set for next season.

And again, winning this year is still absolutely on the table and would be truly awesome as well. No doubt the boys in that locker room still very clearly believe they can win it all this year and that's what matters right now.

We're coming out in Game 4 with an absolute monster game and then bringing this series back to Denver for game 6 with a chance to finish things off. The boys are gonna find those skating legs and the Sharks just aren't going to have an answer for it.

Agreed 100%...and frankly anyone who doesn't think this season has been a massive success even if it were to end tomorrow is insane. Fact remains, San Jose is an elite team, and it's a testament to how good they are that they had the worst regular season goaltending of any of the teams in the playoffs and yet still nearly won their division. And now they're actually getting the goaltending they need. And I feel the need to point out again to some that despite the fact that San Jose has nearly every aspect of their game working right now...they still blew their lead late in the third. The Avs are, at the very least, not going quietly. This playoff run should be a huge learning experience for everyone involved.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Not why the Avs lost, but the officiating continues to be horrendous. Refs just staring straight at penalties all night, and intentionally not calling them.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif
Kane yanking Barrie down is a horrendous missed call. All eyes are on the race, we had an empty net and we were down. Thats brutal.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avs are completely capable of winning this series as it stands, and that's a massive accomplishment based on expectations.

For that to happen they absolutely need to win the next game. If they lose tomorrow go down 1-3, dont see the Avs winning 3 in a row.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Maybe I'm just a negative Nancy but so many of your are so much more optimistic than I am currently. From what I've watched, we've been outplayed for the majority of these first 3 games and we just lost what was likely the most winnable game of the series. I may just be deflated from game 3 but I just don't like where the series is heading personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->