Roster turnover

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
Helm might have been worth the contract if he was as impactful of a player as he was from '08-'11. The guy could bring it in the playoffs played heavy. He's been a big disappointment though for the better part of 5-6 years now

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Helm might have been worth the contract if he was as impactful of a player as he was from '08-'11. The guy could bring it in the playoffs played heavy. He's been a big disappointment though for the better part of 5-6 years now
Back injury will do that. Dekeyser is another example. Can't play physical with a back injury. Back injuries are permanent, surgery doesn't "fix" the issue, it just alleviates the pain. Once your disc is compromised, you're screwed. I know.

He was never going to be worth that contract, he's always been suited for 3rd line role, he's never shown any scoring capability. He's only overpaid by about a million, so it's not the end of the world, plus the contract ends next season. The team has bigger issues.

He is somehow -2 right now, and I find that amazing. Kudos to him. If you can keep the puck out of the goal with Howard in net, you're doing something right.

Reactions: odin1981

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Very good point.

Though I disagree on Lehner. I think they have no chance of re-signing him.

I also think we have no chance I am just thinking if we did it would be great. Maybe Yzerman can work that magic

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Is he still injured?

I'd like to see him play 3C next season just to up his trade value. It would also help him in free agency.

I've always liked Helm the player, but hate the contract. As long as the expectations are defensive third liner, he lives up to that billing. Fast hardworking player. The best part is his breakaways where he always gives you hope then leaves you disappointed like that whole Lucy/Charlie Brown football kick.
They moved him to wing cause he cant stay healthy at center.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
They moved him to wing cause he cant stay healthy at center.
Which is why Nielsen plays center and Helm is playing wing? PK is probably the riskiest thing to do in hockey in terms of injury and he still PKs as well.

Regardless, he should be moved back to center to increase trade value.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Which is why Nielsen plays center and Helm is playing wing? PK is probably the riskiest thing to do in hockey in terms of injury and he still PKs as well.

Regardless, he should be moved back to center to increase trade value.

It is impossible. Do you have any stats on that? I have never thought about it, but when you mentioned it I was like it is almost for forwards to get injured on PK.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It is impossible. Do you have any stats on that? I have never thought about it, but when you mentioned it I was like it is almost for forwards to get injured on PK.
No stats but the forward's job in a PK is to block shots. It's where you see the most puck injuries. You don't see any heavy checking during a PP, so you don't see collision type injuries.

In any case, who would you rather see as 3C, Helm or Nielsen? I supposed LGD is also trade bait next season, so it should be him or Helm.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
No stats but the forward's job in a PK is to block shots. It's where you see the most puck injuries. You don't see any heavy checking during a PP, so you don't see collision type injuries.

In any case, who would you rather see as 3C, Helm or Nielsen? I supposed LGD is also trade bait next season, so it should be him or Helm.

When I think of injuries, Helm and Kronwall come to my mind as 2 players who had to change their game. If my memory serves me well, both were injured a lot in their early careers.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
When I think of injuries, Helm and Kronwall come to my mind as 2 players who had to change their game. If my memory serves me well, both were injured a lot in their early careers.
They both got less physical, but that happens with a lot of hockey players. It's a contact sport.

Neither one changed the rest of their game, just less physical. No reason why Helm couldn't play center. It's not like e're playing left wing lock, I'd rather have the center be defensively responsible, not a winger. Have Helm and LGD center the bottom 2 lines.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Kronwall had some straight up freak injuries, too, that didn't really come from playing. I mean, he broke his leg in a pregame skate when he hit a rut in the ice.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I also think we have no chance I am just thinking if we did it would be great. Maybe Yzerman can work that magic

If Lane Lambert is the next head coach, I could see us going after Tomas Greiss.

German backup, who did put up almost as good numbers as Lehner at the Islanders. Familiar for the coach and can also ease Seider's life as a prospect for first years.

Short 2-3 year deal or something.

If you merge last 2 seasons together, best SV% (+40 games)

1. Ben Bishop .928
2. Darcy Kuemper .926
3. Anton Khudobin .925
4. Robin Lehner .925
5. Tomas Greiss .922
6. Andrei Vasilevskiy .920
7. Tuukka Rask .920

He is right there with Lehner and some other great goalies.

Dallas seems to have some system wich will put both goalies look good. Both guys at Top3, don't think Khudobin is that good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think that Lehner or Greiss would be great choices. Obviously, Greiss is 34 and Lehner is 28, so the latter would fit better with the team's age group.

A Bernier - Lehner tandem would work out pretty great I feel.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Interesting take! I kinda like Greiss as a more short term bridge goalie to see if any young goalies can emerge internally, I like the fit with the current state.

I also like Lehner but I have to be honest I see some risk with him. He is going to push for a term and starter money which is such a risk if he doesn't live up to it after a few years. He has been pretty vocal about being tired of performing well in the NHL but only getting short term deals. He got a 4 year deal on his first contract then a 3 year extension but then only a 1 year deal prove it with Buffalo after Ottawa moved on. After another 1 year prove it with Islanders there are articles about NYI verbally offering a 2 year deal and Lehner wanted longer term but then NYI pulled the deal before he could think about it. There are also articles where he came forward publicly about battling some mental health issues that impacted his performance. It's weird that Chicago would move his contract and stick with a 35 year old Crawford.

I just worry about locking into a 6-7 year 5 million dollar deal with someone a bit unstable, and if Yzerman talks him down to a short term deal is he going to behave all disgruntled. He took some shots at Chicago brass when the trade happened.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I just worry about locking into a 6-7 year 5 million dollar deal with someone a bit unstable, and if Yzerman talks him down to a short term deal is he going to behave all disgruntled. He took some shots at Chicago brass when the trade happened.

Because he took a risk with them on a short deal, played lights out, and then they didn't want to pay him his worth.

I have no doubt when he signed his 1 year deal they were all "Well you know, if things work out we might have a spot for you long-term" and then that moment came and they straight up ghosted him.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
I don’t pay goalies. But that’s just me. You build your roster right and a decent goalie wins. Makes it a lot easier when you don’t have 6+ wrapped up in the goalie.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If Lane Lambert is the next head coach, I could see us going after Tomas Greiss.

German backup, who did put up almost as good numbers as Lehner at the Islanders. Familiar for the coach and can also ease Seider's life as a prospect for first years.

Short 2-3 year deal or something.

If you merge last 2 seasons together, best SV% (+40 games)

1. Ben Bishop .928
2. Darcy Kuemper .926
3. Anton Khudobin .925
4. Robin Lehner .925
5. Tomas Greiss .922
6. Andrei Vasilevskiy .920
7. Tuukka Rask .920

He is right there with Lehner and some other great goalies.

Dallas seems to have some system which will put both goalies look good. Both guys at Top3, don't think Khudobin is that good.

I always feel like Greiss is the product of great systems rather than being a really good goalie. Not sure how well he or Khudobin would do for us, as Dallas also seems to have a good system lately for goalies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Because he took a risk with them on a short deal, played lights out, and then they didn't want to pay him his worth.

I have no doubt when he signed his 1 year deal they were all "Well you know, if things work out we might have a spot for you long-term" and then that moment came and they straight up ghosted him.

Doesn't make sense either, as Crawford is very near the end of his career, and has been far worse than Lehner. I get that Crawford has the great run in Chicago, but what is their plan in goal for next season, as the UFA market on goalies isn't massive.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I don’t pay goalies. But that’s just me. You build your roster right and a decent goalie wins. Makes it a lot easier when you don’t have 6+ wrapped up in the goalie.

The only way you win consistently in the NHL with mediocre goalies is if you have a roster like Pittsburgh or Tampa. The more mid tier challengers need someone good in net if they want to win, unless you get the odd lucky year where both teams goalies in the Finals are bad. I am not saying pay 10 mil or even 8 mil on one goalie, but 4-7 for sure.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

I agree I am not faulting him for feeling the way he does, I am just saying that kind of baggage comes in the door if we sign him.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I was of this mindset when the Wings had Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and Lidstrom on the roster. If you're not stacked at forward and defense, you need a real goalie.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I always feel like Greiss is the product of great systems rather than being a really good goalie. Not sure how well he or Khudobin would do for us, as Dallas also seems to have a good system lately for goalies.

Let's build a great system.

Let's be a hockey team again.

Let's hire players who will fit on the system.

Reactions: Oddbob

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
The only way you win consistently in the NHL with mediocre goalies is if you have a roster like Pittsburgh or Tampa. The more mid tier challengers need someone good in net if they want to win, unless you get the odd lucky year where both teams goalies in the Finals are bad. I am not saying pay 10 mil or even 8 mil on one goalie, but 4-7 for sure.
I think, in many cases, the Stanley cup is won by a decent goalie that got hot. Usually they follow up the win with some good years. As if it gave them some momentum or confidence. Murray and Bennington are recent examples. I’ve never loved Corey Crawford so I’d throw him in there too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad