Speculation: Roster building thread XXIV:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I agree trading Trouba is unrealistic but I also think it would be a good move.

I don’t think he’s worth 8M. Yes we know he has to stomach a lot dzone and OTF starts and PK time but there are cheaper options who could get similar results.

He’s solid but he’s not a ‘gamebreaker’, he’s slow and skates in mud
Trouba is our best dman and brings things that the other dmen cannot. Defense, physicality, and his cannon of a shot. For years we’ve been looking for a top pairing D exactly like him. And he absolutely is worth 8 mil. He just got his contract before his comparables. Tyler Myers got 6x6. Shattenkirk got 7x4 from us and that was considered a discount (Tampa offered 8x8.) Barrie likes it in Toronto and the reported ask is around 8-8.5 mil. Trouba is better than any of those guys and is younger. If Trouba hit UFA he could get 9 mil easily if he wanted, and the cap will only go up

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
We need to get ahead of it before some teams figure out they arent playoff teams. I mean Toronto would be interested in Georgiev now but in a month time they might be out of a playoff spot. Or a team like Philly might make a guy like Van Rymsdyk or Vorachek available and then it affects Kreiders value.
Well Toronto probably wouldn't be out and too far away until after the TDL. And Georgiev wouldn't be a rental. So even if they missed the post season, they aren't losing him for nothing.

What I am torn on is moving any of our RFAs before the offseason. On one hand I would like to resolve the 3 goalie issue. On the other, there is potential for bigger hockey trades after the season. Georgiev could be a key, cost controlled piece in a Nylander trade for example. That type of trade will be off limits in February. Team chemistry, cap implications, playoff runs.

We can acquire enough future assets with our UFA trades to hold off on AG. Use the controlled assets for hockey trades later.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I hope we move all 3

And Fast as well.

I'd rather not leave the team with that lack of leadership and experience. That leaves pretty much Mika and... nobody else at forward.

Obviously Panarin is a great player but he hasn't even been here a year yet. It's hard to help kids get comfortable when you're not even adjusted yourself.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I suspect the fates of many of the players are intertwined. If NYR get the deal they want for Kreider, then they probably don't move DeAngelo. If Strome and ADA get dealt because those are the best offers, it's possible NYR keep Kreider then.

I don't think management is going to do a wholesale flushing of the proverbial toilet at the deadline. Some guys will stay, others will go. My prediction is that NYR doesn't re-invent the wheel- they trade Kreider and Fast as impending UFAs and work to re-sign DeAngelo. The Strome decision happens in the offseason.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Brooks has his warts, but he's the local guy that breaks Rangers news. He's not a great writer, and doesn't appear to have an editor, but he does a good job of delineating his writing between what he's hearing and what he is guessing/advocating for.

Laughing - he’s likely a lone wolf and not on any editors radar.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'd rather not leave the team with that lack of leadership and experience. That leaves pretty much Mika and... nobody else at forward.

Obviously Panarin is a great player but he hasn't even been here a year yet. It's hard to help kids get comfortable when you're not even adjusted yourself.

Panarin;s got like a gazillion points already, if he isn't comfortable yet I cant wait to see what he does when he is.

I agree with the over arching point that you're making, but playing with out the 3 guys mentioned for 20 games this year is not going to be the death knell for the young guys on this team. Sure they would have to do something about it in the offseason whether it be through UFA or trade (or draft, depending on who/where they pick.)

With all of that said, I think Fast is almost as unlikely to move as Kreider is to move and if he is traded, they'll probably find a way to bring him back this summer. They'll likely wait and see how the beginning of the summer plays out before making a decision on Strome.

Reactions: leetch99

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
you know where that’s coming from though. We didn’t think TDA was going to put up these points and we learned (or were reminded) that Trouba has a NTC after this year yet it’s a modified NTC this year. Honestly, that’s very interesting the Rangers wrote the contract that way. Does make you wonder why.

I think the idea is more cash related although that tune would likely change once TDA gets his raise.
They could not give Trouba a no trade for this year because he did not have 7 years in the league or was 27. That’s when you become eligible. Same as UFA.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
If we move ADA, it had better be for a young ELC 2C that projects to be on Zib's level.
And...it better be a forward that has been cloned from Ryan Getzlaf . That is the type of forward this club needs and does not have yet . Those are the kind of guys that win Cups and unless you draft one...you will pay up to obtain one . Identify that type pf guy...even one that is 80% of the clone LOL....and it would be an awesome addition . I hedge though on trading Tony for a couple of seasons . I would love to see what he can do as this club gets better and he gets better .

Reactions: Avery16

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Maple Leafs I figure are in a TRADE NOW mode as they really need to make the playoffs . They really need defense and a back up...like REALLY BAD !!! When they come back from the AS break the media is going to be ALL OVER them if they lose a couple early and fall further from the race . I think we need to get the word out that we are dealing with the two possible WC teams be it Philly, CLB, Cats and or Canes . I think once one of those clubs move...the dealing starts . Maybe we should make a minor league deal just to send a warning shot across the bow and get them guessing on our timeline to deal . Canes need a goalie big time . I cannot fathom how they have not jumped for Georgiev yet...maybe they figure they can wait and get him on an Offer Sheet this Summer when Rangers will be up against the Cap?

Last edited:

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Maple Leafs I figure are in a TRADE NOW mode as they really need to make the playoffs . They really need defense and a back up...like REALLY BAD !!! When they come back from the AS break the media is going to be ALL OVER them if they lose a couple early and fall further from the race . I thin we need to get the word out that we are dealing with the two possible WC teams be it Philly, CLB, Cats and or Canes . I think once one of those clubs move...the dealing starts . Maybe we should make a minor league deal just to send a warning shot across the bow and get them guessing on our timeline to deal . Canes need a goalie big time . I cannot fathom how they have not jumped for Georgiev yet...maybe they figure they can wait and get him on an Offer Sheet this Summer when Rangers will be up against the Cap?

agree and think the heat is rising in Philly too

Reactions: leetch99

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Read somewhere (can't remember where) that Ondrej Kase isn't getting along great with Eakins. Wonder if Kase for Buchnevich could be the framework of a trade.
I like Kase a lot but is that a worthwhile swap? Similar players but Kase has a worse injury history. The one benefit would be the extra year of control at a cheap cap hit.

Interesting idea for sure, but I'd like to find a different way to add him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad