Speculation: Roster building thread XXIV:

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
I feel like expendable is the wrong word. DeAngelo will be an asset as long as he's in a Ranger's uni. If we are in a position to trade him it will be to improve the roster, not to cut ties just because there may be another player coming in the pipeline. One asset doesnt necessarily make the other expendable, especially considering DeAngelo's specialized skillset. There are too many moving pieces and factors to think about it so one-dimensionally.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the **** out his perfomance here. IF he gets moved it will be to make a clear improvement to the rostsr at his or some other position.
I can agree on this point. Not all decisions are one dimensional, and this one is certainly that way. I was just attempting to respond to a certain few comments that were saying it would not be smart to lock Tony up because we have Fox and Lundkvist/Keane on the way.

Your point is a very good one. Obviously if a trade involving Tony were on the table that makes the team better, you take it because you always want the team to be the best possible. But, I find it hard to envision us getting an offer that matches that criteria considering his output, elite offensive potential, room for continued improvement on defense, improved demeanor and attitude on ice, endearment of teammates and not to mention his specific skillset.

I may be much higher on Tony than other, but I don't think we will ever get an offer for him that truly betters this team with an addition that outweighs his subtraction.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Negotiating from panic is not a good tactic IMO. Toronto need to panic and make the call. For any Philly team out there, another team would have to be in the running to pass them (and there is a ton of pressure on Philly to get to the playoffs)

How is it panic? If they want him they deal for him now or we move on to the next team.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
This goes both ways. If those other options don't materialize, teams are going to up their offers. Trading them now could mean missing out on a better return later.

At this point, we don't even know if Gorton has actually received any legitimate offers, so we might not have a choice other than to wait until other teams make up their minds.

There will always be interest in Kreider and Georgiev, a bad scenario would be if Kreider got hurt and Shesterkin got sick of sharing the net.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I can agree on this point. Not all decisions are one dimensional, and this one is certainly that way. I was just attempting to respond to a certain few comments that were saying it would not be smart to lock Tony up because we have Fox and Lundkvist/Keane on the way.

Your point is a very good one. Obviously if a trade involving Tony were on the table that makes the team better, you take it because you always want the team to be the best possible. But, I find it hard to envision us getting an offer that matches that criteria considering his output, elite offensive potential, room for continued improvement on defense, improved demeanor and attitude on ice, endearment of teammates and not to mention his specific skillset.

I may be much higher on Tony than other, but I don't think we will ever get an offer for him that truly betters this team with an addition that outweighs his subtraction.

That's only if you are swapping a dman for dman. If you get a top six winger for him, and replace his minutes with more Fox and Lundqvist then it helps the team. If we move on from Kreider and say Strome our offense will be dry next year without some addition.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
So what does any of that have to do with getting a bad return for DeAngelo? What am I preparing myself for? He’s not even rumored to be going anywhere.

It means that not all the teams value him the way you do and unless he takes a massive discount he will price himself out of NY, forcing us to move him. He has almost half his career points this season and people are treating him like he is a lock for 60 points a year. A bad return for DeAngelo would be a contract north of 6mill.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Trouba has no trade protection this year. Starting next season, and for four years in total, he has a full no move clause. It's no mystery why it's structured that way. This season is his one RFA year, so he's not eligible for trade protection clauses.

why is it structured that way?

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Don't want to go look through all the posts again, but saw someone saying something about Georgiev + Buch to Minny.

I could definitely see something happening with this. The Rangers say they are looking to turn the corner sooner rather than later, so I wonder if NYR would target Zucker to fill the hole Kreider will when he leaves.

Something like:

To MIN: Georgiev, Buchnevich, Andersson
To NYR: Zucker, Greenway, Stalock, 2021 2nd?

Not sure how highly MIN values Zucker, but I see this as basically Minnesota gets a younger forward, a young goalie for their future since Dubyk has declined, and a reclamation project in Andersson. NYR gets replacement for Kreider with term, young forward asset, and a goalie to eithee waive or potentially flip to Toronto for anything really.

Maybe Minny adds a Draft pick? But they aren't in a position to tradeDraft picks. Also rumored NYR ask for Geo is young forward, but I figured this could potentially be an exception

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
How is it panic? If they want him they deal for him now or we move on to the next team.

it’s seems more like panic b/c you posted a sense of urgency that Philly may put players into the market. Meanwhile, Georgiev isn’t even a FA so why shop when others need him more than we need to part ways with him?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It means that not all the teams value him the way you do and unless he takes a massive discount he will price himself out of NY, forcing us to move him. He has almost half his career points this season and people are treating him like he is a lock for 60 points a year. A bad return for DeAngelo would be a contract north of 6mill.
Of course he has half his career points this season, it’s his full 2nd season in the league and he broke out incredibly. A 6 million contract for a 60+ point defenseman who can actually play somewhat ok defense at 24 years old is a great deal. Why, because there are only a handful of them in the entire league.

Reactions: Minmonster

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
it’s seems more like panic b/c you posted a sense of urgency that Philly may put players into the market. Meanwhile, Georgiev isn’t even a FA so why shop when others need him more than we need to part ways with him?

It's not panic, have lots of time but if you wanna make a trade its better to have more trade partners and less competition.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Brooks reported there was trade talk involving, among others, DeAngelo.
Brooks is the only one who wants him out. He also said Kreider was in negotiations because he wants the Rangers to keep him but then Kreider came out yesterday and said there absolutely was not. He has his own agenda and makes up things.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Of course he has half his career points this season, it’s his full 2nd season in the league and he broke out incredibly. A 6 million contract for a 60+ point defenseman who can actually play somewhat ok defense at 24 years old is a great deal. Why, because there are only a handful of them in the entire league.

We have greater needs than spending 6 mill long term on a right side dman right now.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

If we move ADA, it had better be for a young ELC 2C that projects to be on Zib's level.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
(Realistically) getting ahead of myself...

Feb 24:
Rangers trade Pavel Buchnevich (package) to Florida Panthers for Aleksi Heponiemi (package)
Rangers trade Jesper Fast to Philadelphia for a 2021 3rd round pick

June/July:
Anton Lundell drafted at 7 ov (the infamous Lias Andersson spot) to bunk with Kakko.
Henrik Lundqvist accepts trade to Colorado for the 2020-21 season. Rangers at 50%, Martin Kaut to NY.
Rangers trade Brady Skjei (package) to Minnesota for Jordan Greenway (package)

Reactions: egelband

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If we move ADA, it had better be for a young ELC 2C that projects to be on Zib's level.

Was why I mentioned Roslovic, get him now before he comes into his own, only 22, plays wing or center. If he was on this team now he would push Fast or Buch out of the top 6. I get the sense that a lot of people here just watch Ranger games and that's it, Roslovic would be a nice add for us if the jets would part with him.

Reactions: egelband

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Don't want to go look through all the posts again, but saw someone saying something about Georgiev + Buch to Minny.

I could definitely see something happening with this. The Rangers say they are looking to turn the corner sooner rather than later, so I wonder if NYR would target Zucker to fill the hole Kreider will when he leaves.

Something like:

To MIN: Georgiev, Buchnevich, Andersson
To NYR: Zucker, Greenway, Stalock, 2021 2nd?

Not sure how highly MIN values Zucker, but I see this as basically Minnesota gets a younger forward, a young goalie for their future since Dubyk has declined, and a reclamation project in Andersson. NYR gets replacement for Kreider with term, young forward asset, and a goalie to eithee waive or potentially flip to Toronto for anything really.

Maybe Minny adds a Draft pick? But they aren't in a position to tradeDraft picks. Also rumored NYR ask for Geo is young forward, but I figured this could potentially be an exception

So Minnesota trade a young player in greenway for nothing? & then trade Zucker who can easily get back 1st & prospect. Right okay.

Minnesota doesn't do this easily.

Reactions: haveandare

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA

At this point I don't really care either way - I just want proper value back in any trades. And I think this sums up a fair expectation overall. Right now, I'd be okay putting any player on the table outside of maybe Mika.. so long as the deals lead to as many young, "top line" talent in as many positions possible.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
(Realistically) getting ahead of myself...

Feb 24:
Rangers trade Pavel Buchnevich (package) to Florida Panthers for Aleksi Heponiemi (package)
Rangers trade Jesper Fast to Philadelphia for a 2021 3rd round pick

)

yikes, respectfully I am not a fan either at the deadline

A proven Pavel B in the Conference for an unproven 148lb winger?
A proven Fast to a Division rival for a 3rd Round pick not even for 2020 but for 2021?

holding out for something better or keeping the players

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009

Yeah I'm right there with you actually. If we can flip him for some talent up front to make room for Lundqvist or whoever else then fine but until then I'm happy with him lighting it up in New York.

Reactions: kinger8998

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I agree trading Trouba is unrealistic but I also think it would be a good move.

I don’t think he’s worth 8M. Yes we know he has to stomach a lot dzone and OTF starts and PK time but there are cheaper options who could get similar results.

He’s solid but he’s not a ‘gamebreaker’, he’s slow and skates in mud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad