Speculation: Roster building thread XXIV:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Chytil is better than Zib at the same age

I love Zib.

But at the same time, he is a kid who at the right time of his career got a shot at ‘the dream of his life’ and he took it. I am sure Hank was a great role model for him too.

Anyway, it’s a bit of a special situation IMO. Always hard to compare him to others, value the trade he was in and so forth. Like if Ottawa keeps him — I am far from convinced that he has the extreme development curve that he has had. He knew that he either would jump around the NHL if he didn’t really shape up his game or that he could stay and get things he really really enjoys if he got it done in NY.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think the argument that ‘we cannot trade Trouba, we just signed him’ is weaker than the underlying situation.

We need his size back there now. We will need it even more when we start to get back into the POs. He is also bringing a lot of other things. Great shot. Solid outlet passing. He is staying with the pace well.

Good trade and subsequent signing.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Panarin;s got like a gazillion points already, if he isn't comfortable yet I cant wait to see what he does when he is.

I agree with the over arching point that you're making, but playing with out the 3 guys mentioned for 20 games this year is not going to be the death knell for the young guys on this team. Sure they would have to do something about it in the offseason whether it be through UFA or trade (or draft, depending on who/where they pick.)

With all of that said, I think Fast is almost as unlikely to move as Kreider is to move and if he is traded, they'll probably find a way to bring him back this summer. They'll likely wait and see how the beginning of the summer plays out before making a decision on Strome.
IMO it's important to have guys who are leaders and have experience in the organization. It's not about being comfortable enough to play good hockey, it's about knowing the city, knowing the organization, knowing who to go to for what and who you can count on when, etc. Panarin, as incredible as his talent is, can't offer a young player the same stuff a Kreider or Fast can in terms of knowledge of how to thrive in this particular organization. UFAs will know even less of that sort of stuff.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
IMO it's important to have guys who are leaders and have experience in the organization. It's not about being comfortable enough to play good hockey, it's about knowing the city, knowing the organization, knowing who to go to for what and who you can count on when, etc. Panarin, as incredible as his talent is, can't offer a young player the same stuff a Kreider or Fast can in terms of knowledge of how to thrive in this particular organization. UFAs will know even less of that sort of stuff.
By the same token, these are the kind of guys you trade to acquire from rebuilding teams once your own core is established and your window is open.

Reactions: Lone Ranger

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I wonder what a guy like Athanasiou gets traded for in the offseason. He is having an okay year. His last co tract negotiation wasn’t great. If Gorton could, say, trade Fast for a 2nd + prospect and then in the offseason trade a 2nd + prospect for Athanasiou that would be a solid move. I don’t see AA returning more than that after his down year. He’d look good in a depth role and provide some speed on the wing.
That would be a really nice get for us. I'd love to see AA in a Rangers uniform.

Reactions: motopanekeku

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
(Realistically) getting ahead of myself...

Feb 24:
Rangers trade Pavel Buchnevich (package) to Florida Panthers for Aleksi Heponiemi (package)
Rangers trade Jesper Fast to Philadelphia for a 2021 3rd round pick

June/July:
Anton Lundell drafted at 7 ov (the infamous Lias Andersson spot) to bunk with Kakko.
Henrik Lundqvist accepts trade to Colorado for the 2020-21 season. Rangers at 50%, Martin Kaut to NY.
Rangers trade Brady Skjei (package) to Minnesota for Jordan Greenway (package)
Florida is all offense and horrible defense. I don’t think Buch would pique their interest. Fast, though, might work for them. They probably would be targeting defensemen. A left field idea for them could be Staal. Probably would be a cap swap deal but he might want to try taking one last run. Maybe the Girardi precedent would entice Florida. Do they have any dead weight to send back?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Was why I mentioned Roslovic, get him now before he comes into his own, only 22, plays wing or center. If he was on this team now he would push Fast or Buch out of the top 6. I get the sense that a lot of people here just watch Ranger games and that's it, Roslovic would be a nice add for us if the jets would part with him.
Would expect more than Roslovic but it’s an interesting idea. That said, Winnipeg has had locker room issues before and may be gun-shy. Not that ADA is a problem but he’s certainly not a wallflower. And ADA is probably not a guy who’d stick around once he hit UFA in a couple years. Sort of a Trouba situation all over again. Winnipeg politely declines. Though, again, that’s the kind of “hockey deal” that would make sense, in a vacuum.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Someone mentioned Greenway the other day. From Brooks tonight:

Jordan Greenway has been toiling on the fourth line in Minnesota, and you had better believe the Rangers will be inquiring what it would take to acquire the 22-year-old, 6-foot-6 winger who thrived playing for David Quinn at Boston University.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Trouba is our best dman and brings things that the other dmen cannot. Defense, physicality, and his cannon of a shot. For years we’ve been looking for a top pairing D exactly like him. And he absolutely is worth 8 mil. He just got his contract before his comparables. Tyler Myers got 6x6. Shattenkirk got 7x4 from us and that was considered a discount (Tampa offered 8x8.) Barrie likes it in Toronto and the reported ask is around 8-8.5 mil. Trouba is better than any of those guys and is younger. If Trouba hit UFA he could get 9 mil easily if he wanted, and the cap will only go up
Strong post. Thank you. Believe this is the final nail in the coffin housing the “Trouba Trade Talk”.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Jordan Greenway has been toiling on the fourth line in Minnesota, and you had better believe the Rangers will be inquiring what it would take to acquire the 22-year-old, 6-foot-6 winger who thrived playing for David Quinn at Boston University.

I have a hard time thinking Greenway will be available, even with the Wild moving up the standings recently.

They'll be moving Zucker soon enough, and that'll open that top 9 spot for him.

That franchise really did themselves in signing Zuccarello. Not in a position to win and sign an aging winger to a big ticket. Paul Fenton really did some damage to their future with this contract.

Reactions: haveandare

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

@silverfish

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Lias?

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

I can see a Buchnevich for Greenway type of trade. A hockey trade that would work for both teams. Buchnevich can replace Zucker if and when the Wild trade him

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Greenway would be a great candidate to take over Kreider's spot, both at even strength and in front of the net on the powerplay.

He doesn't have groundbreaking offensive potential but he brings a lot more as a middle six winger than a guy like Jimmy Vesey ever did.

I'm not for trading Buchnevich for the sake of trading Buchnevich, though. Andersson + would be my first offer.

Last edited:

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Greenway would be a great candidate to take over Kreider's spot, both at even strength and in front of the net on the powerplay.

He doesn't have groundbreaking offensive potential but he brings a lot more as a middle six winger than a guy like Jimmy Vesey ever did.

I'm not for trading Buchnevich for the sake of trading Buchnevich, though. Andersson + would be my first offer.

Buchnevich or someone with more value would need to be included. Andersson alone doesnt get it done.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Has nothing to do with anything like that, for me it's about building a team, using your strengths to trade for weaknesses and being smart with your cap space. If we had 6 top 6 RW and no RD I'd trade one to get one. We arent trading Trouba or Fox, deangelo is gonna get paid, I dont see him as a guy who leaves money on the table so for me it's about saving 6+ mill in cap space, playing a younger dman like Keane or Lundqvist on an entry level deal and using Fox in place of DeAngelo on the pp. If they can sign tony for 4 mill I'm all over it, I dont see that happening, so get some assets while his value is likely the highest it will be.
Then we cross that bridge when we get to it. Lets wait and see Lundkvist and Keane play as well or even close to him in the NHL then we can have the options of who needs to be traded. But until then, Gorton would be the worlds worst GM to move him on just hopes one of those turn out to play anywhere near as good as him.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
It's close IMO. I think Mika had more skill at the time but i'd give Chytil the skating edge at that age.
Mika was never able to drive his own line until NY, Chytil does it with a rookie and a sophomore. He doesn’t put up big numbers (yet) but those will start coming with the way he’s playing

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
The org can do three things: keep deangelo, keep deangelo and play him left side, or trade him. Toronto needs a dman- im not sure whether deangelo and georgiev could get it done, but nylander would be what I want back. The playing the left side thing, I dont understand why not. Deangelo fox, in their limited time together, look like da vinci painting mona lisa on the ice. I think thats where staal goes bye bye and you call up keane to play with lindgren. Moving on, about kreider- hes gone gone. I feel like gorton will use the 1st from the trade, package it with someone like tarmo reunanen for a 1st pair d (could add a bit more). I have to think that gorton looksta our stud right side, our meh leftside and says no we have to fix this. This led me to another point: staal bought out this summer. I know a lot of change isnt always the best, but the roster turnover that Gorton can have is scary full of potential- especially if we get nylanded. Our offense is 7th (last time I checked). Yes panarin prob makes us jump 10 spots, but the future with the oline aint too bad. As for our fourth line, smith gets traded as a cap dump in the offseason. We have many inhouse replacements, even beleskey would be better than him or haley, but to make a long post short, were not done yet. We will get there, prob starting this trade deadline and summer.

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
No, mika was better than chytil because he was an nhl regular and produced offensively. Once he hits 23, him and kakko will prob be one of the, if not the, best lines in hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->