Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLIV - Off Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I love the idea of trading Nash for futures. I don't love the idea of signing Yandle because in two years it will be another contract that we are dying to get out of. Keep Jensen for sure. Even bring Stalberg back on a cheap filler deal. Deal Glass for cap relief. Lineup as follows:

Miller Brassard Zuccarello
Kreider Stepan Buchnevich
Stalberg Hayes Jensen
Hrivik Lindberg Fast

McDonagh Klein
Staal McIlrath
Skjei Girardi

See I doubt they go w hrvik and Jensen as Regulars, 12, 13,14 F sure . Nash will bring back a forward who plays now . They sign 1 or 2 stalberg types I just don't think it's stalberg .

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm not happy with the coaching news. It'll be more of the same next season with a slightly different roster, and I highy doubt they'll be able to make us the 2013-14 team in one offseason.

A slight roster shakeup is needed. The coaching staff needs to go. We need more speed, better structure, and youth and skill.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This leagues even. In a bad year they got 101 pts . Don't panic retool

We had 34 points in our first 21 games. That's a 132 point pace.

We had 67 points in our final 61 games. That's a 90 point pace.

Are we a 132 point team or a 90 point team? I'm thinking the latter, which is why we need to do more than tweak the roster so we can maybe squeak into the playoffs next year and lose in the 1st round again.

It isn't about panicking, it's about seeing this team for what it really is. People need to accept that this team has a lot of work to do and it will take more than one offseason to fix it. That being the case, every move we make should be targeted at making us a better team 2 or 3 years from now, even if those moves make us worse next year.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Staal, Nash, Girardi.

Move those 3 players and you have close to 19 million in cap space. There will be players coming back im sure. Leave as much space as possible with those deals.

This core just hasn't gotten it done. I would seriously look at what Brassard could return. He's 28. In his prime. Klein should be dealt.

Time to maximize some assets, bring in some young pieces and build from there.

Even moving all of those players, the Rangers are in a good spot. Hank, Stepan, Kreider, Miller, Hayes, Fast, McIlrath, Skjei, Buch, MZA. They have good pieces with playoff experience. Build the next core around those guys and augment them with the right pieces. Young pieces.

This team has to start looking 2-3 years down the road. Not just next year. That short-sightedness has gotten them to this crossroads. Outside of 3 players (Skjei, Buch and Graves) who projects as anything more than a depth player? No picks.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
We had 34 points in our first 21 games. That's a 132 point pace.

We had 67 points in our final 61 games. That's a 90 point pace.

Are we a 132 point team or a 90 point team? I'm thinking the latter, which is why we need to do more than tweak the roster so we can maybe squeak into the playoffs next year and lose in the 1st round again.

It isn't about panicking, it's about seeing this team for what it really is. People need to accept that this team has a lot of work to do and it will take more than one offseason to fix it. That being the case, every move we make should be targeted at making us a better team 2 or 3 years from now, even if those moves make us worse next year.

100% agree. Stop managing like there is no tomorrow.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Good management? You think Gorton is a moron. The Rangers aren't winning the Cup next season. Those are your words. News flash. The Rangers aren't winning the Cup in 2018 either. IF your plan does not work in 2-3 years,then rebuild but you wasted another 2-3 years.

You need to acknowledge the possibility that a full on rebuild can also be a failure and waste years, depending on the decisions made.

Even if NYR trade almost all of their liquid assets for picks and prospects, they still wont have a top 5 prospect pool in the NHL.

There have been teams rebuilding for 10 years that are still in the gutter.

Plus I think the idea of a rebuild is antiquated, considering the fact that by the time a lot of the young kids are old enough to be star players/key contributors, they have hit arbitration age and are making just shy of UFA money.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Depending on the route the team takes, would a Nash with nothing retained to Detroit for Datsuyk Mantha Athanisiou and a 1st work?

Is there a recapture penalty for Detroit if they Traded him and he retires?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
You need to acknowledge the possibility that a full on rebuild can also be a failure and waste years, depending on the decisions made.

Even if NYR trade almost all of their liquid assets for picks and prospects, they still wont have a top 5 prospect pool in the NHL.

Plus I think the idea of a rebuild is antiquated, considering the fact that by the time a lot of the young kids are old enough to be star players/key contributors, they have hit arbitration age and are making just shy of UFA money.

In the cap world, it's so tough to be legit contenders over a long stretch. Just look at Tampa's cap situation. They were legit contenders last year and this year. But in the next two offseasons, the following guys are due for raises...

Stamkos (UFA)
Killorn (RFA with arb rights)
Johnson (RFA with arb rights)
Palat (RFA with arb rights)
Drouin (RFA)
Kucherov (RFA)
Hedman (UFA)

They have a few other guys too but those are the significant ones. They might have one legit year of competition themselves before they have to overhaul a lot of the roster due to cap concerns.

I just don't see how you're going into a full rebuild here. There's way too much good young talent currently at the NHL level. Cut the dead weight, recoup picks and prospects through the trades of some key older assets (Nash, Klein, even Brassard who could possibly return a lot) and let the younger core takeover.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Depending on the route the team takes, would a Nash with nothing retained to Detroit for Datsuyk Mantha Athanisiou and a 1st work?

I wish . If we are lucky they get a 1st and a good young player. Dallas for Ritchie is my call but may have to take hemsky too

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Recapture only applies to contracts like Hossa's. Datsuyk signed a 3 year deal at age 36, so it's subject to the 35+ rule, which means that his entire cap hit will still count next year, even though he will be retired.

Obviously that is bad for Detroit, which is why they will trade him, but it's good for a budget team. An extra 7.5 mil cap hit to reach the cap floor, but they don't have to pay a penny of it in actual money.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The fallout from the Rangers’ first-round crash-and-burn elimination by the Penguins will be substantial, but neither immediate nor of a knee-jerk variety.

Sources have told The Post there is belief from the top down — starting with CEO Jim Dolan — the club is in need of an overhaul in the form of a transfusion of new and younger blood pumped into the system. Still, though, even as the clock ticked on the core, more was expected of it

All coaches are stubborn. They have to be themselves, as Sinatra kind of warbled. But we’d suggest Vigneault — who sure does deserve to be back — needs to be more malleable, more hands-on, more responsible for helping motivate a 2016-17 Rangers team that should be considerably younger and carry far less weighty expectations than this group.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/24/a-rangers-overhaul-will-require-a-changed-alain-vigneault/

Except that they all do know that change is coming to the Rangers and that it will be significant.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/26/rangers-are-getting-a-shakeup-and-even-stars-are-worried/

Substantial. Overhaul. Transfusion of new and younger blood. Significant.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Those teams were run by the morons in Edmonton.

Look at all of the teams which have won the Cup since 2009. All of them were bad and missed the playoffs for at least a couple of years.

The Leafs are going to be a young and dynamic team. Buffalo too.

Sometimes you need to be bad before you can be really good. You need difference makers and those guys are usually found at the top of the draft.

The path proposed by some here is not producing any Cup parades. The same salary cap jail issues. Give Yandle 7 years and then 2 years from now Yandle needs to be moved because he sucks and has a $7M cap.

Same never ending vicious cycle.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If it does happen you will not say anything. If it doesn't happen you say "see I told you so".

The Rangers can go on the same path but that is not producing a Cup.

The Rangers need draft picks and young players.

you are confusing what i think they WILL do with what I HOPE they do...I want them to do what you are saying, i just have less than zero faith that it will actually happen. Words are meaningless. when i see actions that show they aren't going to just follow the 'msg way' of go for it ever year then i'll believe those words

trading away 2 2nds and a good prospect for a worthless former star instead of a 1st isn't 'holding onto the future'

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I'm not happy with the coaching news. It'll be more of the same next season with a slightly different roster, and I highy doubt they'll be able to make us the 2013-14 team in one offseason.

A slight roster shakeup is needed. The coaching staff needs to go. We need more speed, better structure, and youth and skill.

Like I said in a previous post, this signals to me that they're still going for it. No change = less interest for me.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

you are confusing what i think they WILL do with what I HOPE they do...I want them to do what you are saying, i just have less than zero faith that it will actually happen. Words are meaningless. when i see actions that show they aren't going to just follow the 'msg way' of go for it ever year then i'll believe those words

trading away 2 2nds and a good prospect for a worthless former star instead of a 1st isn't 'holding onto the future'

I'm with Leetch3 here RB, I mean, I love what I'm hearing, but this is not my first rodeo, cowboy :D

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

Look at all of the teams which have won the Cup since 2009. All of them were bad and missed the playoffs for at least a couple of years.

Sometimes you need to be bad before you can be really good. You need difference makers and those guys are usually found at the top of the draft.

The path proposed by some here is not producing any Cup parades. The same salary cap jail issues. Give Yandle 7 years and then 2 years from now Yandle needs to be moved because he sucks and has a $7M cap.

As much as I like Yandle, I agree that we will regret that contract in the 2-4 year range and be saddled with a no trade clause etc....... Yandle, as much as he loves the Rangers organization, may be also looking for a team who is on the brink of winning the cup vs being with a bunch of really nice guys!

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Ive been saying this since forever. NYI, EDM, Pitt, NJD, Dallas, Detroit, Quebec/Col, TB, Carolina, Ana, Chi, LA. All those Cup winners had top 5 picks or numerous top 5-10 picks before they won.

If we had just played our cards and not interfered with free agents and trades for older vets we would have bottom out just in time to start building when Henrik was just drafted. It was never about tanking, but about playing the cards your dealt.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Put me in the "I'll believe it when I see it camp."

Dolan wants to make the playoffs. Whatever else the NY Post says he wants, he wants to make the playoffs. I don't believe for one second that Dolan will consciously put this team on a course that will lessen their chances of making the playoffs in the current or upcoming season.

My expectation is the team trades Nash for draft picks as a way to pretend they're infusing youth into the system but keeps everyone else and tries again next year. Yandle will be resigned.

Their intentions are really going to be easy to spot just based on what happens with Yandle. If they want to rebuild, Yandle's out. I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
I have to echo the sentiments above, this organization has a habit of saying things and then not following through.

Gordie Clark said this before the 2015 draft:

"The need is players, just players," said Rangers director of player personnel Gordie Clark, who will be running his eighth draft for the organization. "We made these moves to give ourselves a shot. The last two years we were really close but it means giving up firsts and seconds. We’re not going to keep doing that."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/hockey/dealing-talbot-draft-objective-for-blueshirts-1.1363805

We ended up doing the exact opposite of what Clark said - we traded away 2 second rounders, and also traded away Saarela, which undercuts Clark's statement about the need for having players in the system. Whatever plan or strategy the Rangers were committed to in June 2015, they had abandoned it by the trade deadline and decided to go for it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad