Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLIV - Off Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Nothing, because we aren't getting him.

Don't forget that Benning is there GM. :laugh:

This is the same guy that made the move for Etem to have a Medicine Hat reunion with Willie D and Shinkaruk, only to trade Shinkaruk a month later

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Well, I wonder what offseason ideas all of us will be brainstorming up. I don't know which direction this team is going, but with Hank, seems likely that they might still want to contend.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
per my last suggested trasnaction of
Nash, klein, Mcd and the rights to yandle for
rnh, draisaitl, #4 overall, yakupov.

ppl asked how we would address the defense.

Simple.

Trade Derek Brassard to the Ducks for Vatanen
you could also flip kevin hayes or chris kreider for a good defenseman as well...or you could sign Jason Demers as well.

lets say you go the UFA route with Demers.

trade Girardi for whatever...a 7th rounder with 1/2 his salary eaten up.

projected lineup....ignore sides and please ignore spelling mistakes, my right wrist is severely injured after getting a slash in hockey 2 weeks ago.

Kreider - Stepan - Draisaitl
Miller - RNH - Zucc
Tkachuk - Hayes - Yakupov
Fasth - Lindberg - Stalberg

Skjei - Demers
Staal - Vatanen
Graves - McIlrath

or sign an UFA to play for Graves, or trade one of Kreider/Hayes for a better defenseman ready to play, etc.

Its not perfect, but its a good start...then id look into trading Zucc and more at the deadline.

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
How do people think RNH stacks up against Brass and Stepan?

Haven't watched RNH much, but if he would improve our 1-2 punch I would do something like this:

McD for RNH + .. Would be a small plus, as most people would view RNH as valuable. Maybe a bottom 6 winger?
Move Brass/Stepan for a young defenseman. Not sure what teams are in need of a 2C, but Brass/Step would thrive on a team with a bonafide 1C. Carolina came to mind as they have some interesting D pieces, but not sure about a trade to a division rival.

Still have wiggle room to move Nash. Maybe trade Step/Brass for a young winger, and Nash for a defenseman + ?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Well, I wonder what offseason ideas all of us will be brainstorming up. I don't know which direction this team is going, but with Hank, seems likely that they might still want to contend.

Hank's the key. I don't think they are ready to have the discussion about going elsewhere just yet. I think this summer will see Nash & Staal deals with an eye on addressing youth and athleticism on D, specifically on the right side. Its going to be a re-tool on the fly, focusing on one specific area. The blueline. If a young top 4 RHD can be acquired in either of those deal's, they will look to move Klein.

I think they will look to move Girardi but given his contract and woeful season, that's going to be a tall order. I don't believe that Gorton will buy him out either. So either its find a bad money for bad money swap, or Girardi comes back next season and hopefully rebuilds his value in the last year of his full NMC.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Haven't watched RNH much, but if he would improve our 1-2 punch I would do something like this:

McD for RNH + .. Would be a small plus, as most people would view RNH as valuable. Maybe a bottom 6 winger?
Move Brass/Stepan for a young defenseman. Not sure what teams are in need of a 2C, but Brass/Step would thrive on a team with a bonafide 1C. Carolina came to mind as they have some interesting D pieces, but not sure about a trade to a division rival.

Still have wiggle room to move Nash. Maybe trade Step/Brass for a young winger, and Nash for a defenseman + ?

No, it would be quite a big +. RNH is good, but not that good.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

Would much rather have Step or Brass over RNH.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA

http://public.tableau.com/shared/867SW7KZK?:display_count=yes

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
couple of things to think about with RNH is, hes been very injured, hes been consistently playing in an environment that breeds losing, and hes 5 years younger than brass....so hes more likely to be entering his prime years when we are ready to go on a run, than Brass who is more likely to be exiting his prime years in the next 1-2 years.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
my proposed suggestion gets us younger, cheaper, and faster...quickly. our defense will be a bit of a mess...but really...has our defense been anything BUT a mess?

you cant move all the parts in 1 year, but you can then flip staal, stepan, kreider, hayes, miller, fasth, zucc, or whoever else you want at the deadline for more. lots of options open up. rangers are too old right now...need to get younger.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

I think they can take a step in the right direction and still contend, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

The young core of this team is talented and playoff tested, there's no reason to think they need to blow it all up.

A few good trades, an infusion of speed players and either fire AV or have him coach the team to play like the 2014 team. With Hank, McD, Stepan, Zucc, Miller, Kreider the core is still a good core. Add a few pieces, jettison some of the older slower players and this team can be right in the thick of it again.

IMO a lot of posters on here are too quick to want to blow it up and go through a full rebuild and that would be the wrong move. The core is young, the core is talented and Hank is still elite. If Gorton can move one of Staal/G, AV use the other one as a 3rd pairing guy in a sheltered role, trade Glass, possibly trade Nash, make a few savvy pickups. AV has to use his best lineup and not continue to trot out the vets no matter how bad they are playing and he needs to make adjustments as needed based on his personnel.

Igor Shestyorkin

Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
I think they can take a step in the right direction and still contend, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

The young core of this team is talented and playoff tested, there's no reason to think they need to blow it all up.

A few good trades, an infusion of speed players and either fire AV or have him coach the team to play like the 2014 team. With Hank, McD, Stepan, Zucc, Miller, Kreider the core is still a good core. Add a few pieces, jettison some of the older slower players and this team can be right in the thick of it again.

IMO a lot of posters on here are too quick to want to blow it up and go through a full rebuild and that would be the wrong move. The core is young, the core is talented and Hank is still elite. If Gorton can move one of Staal/G, AV use the other one as a 3rd pairing guy in a sheltered role, trade Glass, possibly trade Nash, make a few savvy pickups. AV has to use his best lineup and not continue to trot out the vets no matter how bad they are playing and he needs to make adjustments as needed based on his personnel.

I agree. We have good pieces and can stay a playoff team depending on the moves we make.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
yeah RNH isnt the focal point of my trade...hes one of many assets that are to me lower value than Ryan McDonagh and Rick Nash combined...but when added together gives us a better chance at being successful in the future.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY

Hank's the key. I don't think they are ready to have the discussion about going elsewhere just yet. I think this summer will see Nash & Staal deal with an eye on addressing youth and athleticism on D, specifically on the right side. If a young top 4 RHD can be acquired in either of those deal's, they will look to move Klein.

I think they will look to move Girardi but given his contract and woeful season, that's going to be a tall order. I don't believe that Gorton will buy him out either. So either its find a bad money for bad money swap, or Girardi comes back next season and hopefully rebuilds his value in the last year of his full NMC.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Kinda hard to compare Nuge from age 20-23 with Brass at 25-28.

RNH has also played on a bottom dweller for three years, while Brass arguably the best team in the East.

Haven't watched RNH much, so my "eye test" here is useless lol just a few comments.

agreed...but its all we got...not sure how to compare the stats at a glance for different years for each of them.

i think RNH could be a very good player on a different team.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
per my last suggested trasnaction of
Nash, klein, Mcd and the rights to yandle for
rnh, draisaitl, #4 overall, yakupov.

There's no way Edmonton is trading both RNH and Draisaitl. They also won't trade for Yandle's rights. What good is that to them? He isn't going to sign there.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn

If I was Hank, I would have had a long talk with Gorton about av's decision making and what's the direction.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
If I was Hank, I would have had a long talk with Gorton about av's decision making and what's the direction.

I have no doubt that was discussed during breakup day.

For as much as Hank probably wants to stay here and finish his career here....he doesn't want to lose. Losing kills him.

The only thing he wants more than finishing his career here is a Cup. If this team is planning on a total re-build, I think he'd agree to waive his NTC for certain places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad