Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLIV - Off Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
If we clear up space, I'd rather use it smartly or save it for the future rather than just handing Stamkos a fat, bloated contract.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm fine with essentially replacing Nash with Stamkos. But at what price? Stamkos will look to become the highest paid player in the NHL. He's not worth more than 10.5 million per season.

The problem would be that the defense, which needs the most work, would most likely not be addressed through these cap clearing trades to make cap room for Stamkos.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Why would Stamkos sign in NY over Tampa? Tampa has a (significantly, as things stand) better chance at winning the cup during his prime than the Rangers and he'll earn much more down there due to the friendlier tax rates.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Wow. If the Rangers hand Stamkos $10m per (they won't, I hope), I cannot wait to come onto HFNYR and see people *****ing about how he's not earning his money.

Can't.
****ing.
Wait.

cant-hardly-wait.jpg
giphy.gif

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I want nothing to do with Stamkos. I also don't see why Nashville, who wants to add a top-six forward, would deal one away in Smith to acquire a declining player in Nash. Makes no sense.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I want nothing to do with Stamkos. I also don't see why Nashville, who wants to add a top-six forward, would deal one away in Smith to acquire a declining player in Nash. Makes no sense.

Rick Nash had 1 less point than Craig Smith in 22 less games played during an injury riddled year. They also have Arvidsson, Fiala, Kamenev, and Austin Watson waiting in the wings.

To be honest, I prop up trading for Smith mostly for salary reasons. The crown jewel of the trade is Jack Dougherty.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Craig Custance listed Buffalo,Detroit and Montreal as the three possible teams besides Tampa and Toronto for Stamkos. Buffalo tried to acquire Stamkos last summer in a deal. Tampa wanted Eichel. Stamkos would not waive his NMC. Custance knows the Wings very well. They are moving into a new building in 17-18 and they have no appetite for a rebuild. Montreal has Price and Subban. The Leafs want him bad. Those 5 teams.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Then they can have him then for the next 7 years with an AAV in the range of $10-11M.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Stamkos is also seemingly declining at the ripe old age of 26. Tell me, do you think we are more likely to get the 60 goal scorer or more of a Nash clone at this point?

What's wrong with signing a Nash at 26 for no assets? And in fairness, Nash never scored 60. He also plays a more punishing style than Stamkos.

I would be fine trading away some players and signing Stamkos IF the money is reasonable. 7 years from now puts him at 33. Even if you get Rick Nash from 26-33 that's a good signing (depending on the cap hit)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What's wrong with signing a Nash at 26 for no assets? And in fairness, Nash never scored 60. He also plays a more punishing style than Stamkos.

I would be fine trading away some players and signing Stamkos IF the money is reasonable. 7 years from now puts him at 33. Even if you get Rick Nash from 26-33 that's a good signing (depending on the cap hit)

Nash plays a punishing style? Are we watching the same player?

There's no such thing as reasonable when it comes to signing Stamkos. Defense is our #1 problem and it will be even worse because we can't afford to re-sign Yandle, so we are going to clear a bunch of cap space so we can sign Stamkos? That makes even less sense than trading for Staal at the deadline.

So many people fall in love with the idea of acquiring stars player and completely ignore the fact that hockey is a team sport. If we are paying Stamkos 10+ million, we aren't going to be able to ice a competent team around him.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
And Demers. Not that hard to see Demers turning into a Girardi-like object in the tail end of the contract.

Demers skates better, moves the puck better, and doesn't take as much physical damage as Girardi does. I'm having trouble seeing the comparison between these two players outside of the fact that they both shoot right.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Stamkos is also seemingly declining at the ripe old age of 26. Tell me, do you think we are more likely to get the 60 goal scorer or more of a Nash clone at this point?

Remember when Ovechkin was declining at age 25 when he only scored 32 goals and at 26 when he only scored 38?

He won 4 straight Rocket Richard trophies after that.

Stamkos is going to be effective for a long long time if for nothing else but his shot.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Demers skates better, moves the puck better, and doesn't take as much physical damage as Girardi does. I'm having trouble seeing the comparison between these two players outside of the fact that they both shoot right.

Demers also wasn't used as a meat shield to block pucks for five years. That being said, I still think he'll cost too much money for us to sign him.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Because, quite simply, the Rangers need to get their **** together before they make yet another splash like that.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I'm talking more of a guy who breaks down and becomes a shell of the player he once was—not a literal comparison of players.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Remember when Ovechkin was declining at age 25 when he only scored 32 goals and at 26 when he only scored 38?

He won 4 straight Rocket Richard trophies after that.

Stamkos is going to be effective for a long long time if for nothing else but his shot.

I don't recall Ovechkin missing prolong periods of time. He's played 72+ games every year, save one. Stamkos is missing time AND seeing his production decline.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't recall Ovechkin missing prolong periods of time. He's played 72+ games every year, save one. Stamkos is missing time AND seeing his production decline.

Yeah, while we're taking a trip down memory lane, I dont remember Ovechkin snapping his leg in half and not being the same player since.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Understood, but still not seeing how this applies to Demers - unless this is a belief you have for all UFAs ~ age 28.

Whether he declines or not isn't really the issue. The issue is that we have cap problems in addition to having lots of personnel problems. Swapping Girardi and Yandle for Demers doesn't make us a better team by any stretch of the imagination, so why are we tying up 5+ mil in Demers for who 6+ years?

We need young, inexpensive dmen who are close to making it to the NHL, or are close to breaking out in the NHL.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Absolutely. We are are still paying for the organization's ineptness during those non-playoff years. Fact was everyone outside the organization knew it was time to start over, but Sather pressed on.

Which is why many of us have always said Sather was an awful GM. Others have said he got the NYR into the playoffs and that makes money so Dolan is happy, yadda Yadda Yadda... He did that IN SPITE of being an awful GM. The cap forced him to do things differently but he was, is and will always be an AWFUL GM in my eyes

End rant

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Whether he declines or not isn't really the issue. The issue is that we have cap problems in addition to having lots of personnel problems. Swapping Girardi and Yandle for Demers doesn't make us a better team by any stretch of the imagination, so why are we tying up 5+ mil in Demers for who 6+ years?

Including Yandle in this logical is unfair. Swapping Girardi with Demers is a huge upgrade.

We need young, inexpensive dmen who are close to making it to the NHL, or are close to breaking out in the NHL.

Like McIlrath and Skjei?

Otherwise, let me just go to the tree that these players grow on :rolleyes:

jobies-job-land-always-sunny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad