Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLIV - Off Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Do people really think there will be major changes or do you just expect the same team with McI replacing Boyle, Skjei replacing Yandle, Hrivik replacing Moore, Buch replacing Staal and Jensen replacing Stalberg with maybe a free agent signing or two as a 13F or 7D?

I'd say there's going to be a larger trade made at some point this off season, and maybe a minor one or two, but I don't think it's going to be a full overhaul

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Do people really think there will be major changes or do you just expect the same team with McI replacing Boyle, Skjei replacing Yandle, Hrivik replacing Moore, Buch replacing Staal and Jensen replacing Stalberg with maybe a free agent signing or two as a 13F or 7D?

I think there will be one major trade. Most likely Nash.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
He fell flat on his face when getting his chance(s) at the NHL from what I've read but there's still time to at least be a serviceable player on the lineup

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is AV going to learn his lesson with Fast because I think next year is the year it could really start to hurt this team? With the way the roster is situated, Buchnevich probably only fits in one spot, 3RW, and with the top six pretty solidified, I imagine thats where AV will have Fast playing, 3RW, with Buchnevich at LW where he isn't as good, on the fourth line or in the stands. Would AV put Fast where he belongs as 4RW?

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
Is AV going to learn his lesson with Fast because I think next year is the year it could really start to hurt this team? With the way the roster is situated, Buchnevich probably only fits in one spot, 3RW, and with the top six pretty solidified, I imagine thats where AV will have Fast playing, 3RW, with Buchnevich at LW where he isn't as good, on the fourth line or in the stands. Would AV put Fast where he belongs as 4RW?

Knowing AV, Fast will probably be in the top 6 while Buch is with Glass and Paile or some **** on the 4th line.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Knowing AV, Fast will probably be in the top 6 while Buch is with Glass and Paile or some **** on the 4th line.

I'm not going to get that upset if Fast plays in the top 9 instead of Lindberg, Stalberg or Etem like he did at certain parts of this recent season, but if he's playing in the top 9 instead of Buch, then it becomes a big problem.

The Undertaker

Jun 22, 2012
I'm not going to get that upset if Fast plays in the top 9 instead of Lindberg, Stalberg or Etem like he did at certain parts of this recent season, but if he's playing in the top 9 instead of Buch, then it becomes a big problem.

Agreed. It's still hard to predict where players might slot in too before trades/FA signings so we'll just have to wait and see what the roster looks like a couple months from now.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
http://nypost.com/2016/05/14/yes-its-ok-to-blame-alex-ovechkin/

This might be a flight of fancy, but if Miller, Skjei, Buchnevich, Chris Kreider, Kevin Hayes, Dylan McIlrath, Jesper Fast, Oscar Lindberg and Nicklas Jensen still are here and make the club out of camp, then the Rangers would have nine players 25 or under on the roster, which kind of destroys the “too old” narrative.

Hard to disagree with this. The "core" of Brass, Zucc, Step, Kreider, McD is hardly old either.

1. Trade Marc Staal. He could have value, if not, sweaten the pot. Force him out. Do whatever it takes.

2. Trade Rick Nash. Think he has decent value. There are not many good players out there and many teams want to get better. Think we will get a good young player in return and a 1st round pick.

3. Sign Alex Radulov. 1 year 6 million per. A few things, there are a holes and there are a holes. You don't want someone that is out partying and don't take care of themselves. Rads could be that type of a hole, I don't know. But he is also a good a hole so to speak because he plays with a ton of emotions. He is the type that gets worked up when not playing well and really pushes things. If he works out and we don't he can be traded at the deadline, if he don't work out we can just let him walk back to Russia. Rads IS good on the PP, would definitely help us there and would take some pressure of Zucc when Nash is gone.

4. Resign Vic Stahlberg.

5. Resign Keith Yandle, 7 years 49m.

6. We are not winning a cup next season, keep Girardi for at least one more year. There is no need to do something stupid like buying him out this summer, better to do it next summer when you got a more clear picture. Maybe he is ready to go on LTIR. Maybe he can get his body in order during the summer. You don't know.

Kreider-Step-Radulov
Buchnevich-Brass-Zucc
Miller-Hayes-Fast
Stahlberg-Lindberg-Jensen
McD-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi
Hank

That is a fairly good and fairly young team. NY is an attractive market. We have a good management. That team don't have "it", but it would have a lot of cap space and be in a good position to make a run to get that "it" during the coming 12 months. Of this don't work out, you are in a good position to really start and an honest rebuild in 2-3 years. Do it the right way.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Hard to disagree with this. The "core" of Brass, Zucc, Step, Kreider, McD is hardly old either.

1. Trade Marc Staal. He could have value, if not, sweaten the pot. Force him out. Do whatever it takes.

2. Trade Rick Nash. Think he has decent value. There are not many good players out there and many teams want to get better. Think we will get a good young player in return and a 1st round pick.

3. Sign Alex Radulov. 1 year 6 million per. A few things, there are a holes and there are a holes. You don't want someone that is out partying and don't take care of themselves. Rads could be that type of a hole, I don't know. But he is also a good a hole so to speak because he plays with a ton of emotions. He is the type that gets worked up when not playing well and really pushes things. If he works out and we don't he can be traded at the deadline, if he don't work out we can just let him walk back to Russia. Rads IS good on the PP, would definitely help us there and would take some pressure of Zucc when Nash is gone.

4. Resign Vic Stahlberg.

6. We are not winning a cup next season, keep Girardi for at least one more year. There is no need to do something stupid like buying him out this summer, better to do it next summer when you got a more clear picture. Maybe he is ready to go on LTIR. Maybe he can get his body in order during the summer. You don't know.

Kreider-Step-Radulov
Buchnevich-Brass-Zucc
Miller-Hayes-Fast
McD-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi
Hank

That is a fairly good and fairly young team. NY is an attractive market. We have a good management. That team don't have "it", but it would have a lot of cap space and be in a good position to make a run to get that "it" during the coming 12 months. Of this don't work out, you are in a good position to really start and an honest rebuild in 2-3 years. Do it the right way.

This is just about what I think should and will happen this off-season.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY

4. Resign Vic Stahlberg.

Kreider-Step-Radulov
Buchnevich-Brass-Zucc
Miller-Hayes-Fast
McD-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi
Hank

Not only do I think this is the perfect off season scenario, but coupled with the prospect of signing Kevin Shattenkirk the following off-season, and it's almost orgasmic.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle

4. Resign Vic Stahlberg.

Kreider-Step-Radulov
Buchnevich-Brass-Zucc
Miller-Hayes-Fast
McD-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi
Hank

Love it. Figure out a way to bolster the D a bit and call it an offseason.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

4. Resign Vic Stahlberg.

Kreider-Step-Radulov
Buchnevich-Brass-Zucc
Miller-Hayes-Fast
McD-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi
Hank

Mostly agree as this is a slightly less radical retool than what I have been proposing. But I think $6 m for Rad is too much. With his history and boatload he made with CSKA he should look for the best fit, not the most $$. If he doesn't accept $3 m here he should go elsewhere.

I'm willing to keep Staal if they are able to move Girardi and then move McD to 1RD and keep Yandle. It will solve the Rangers 1RD situation and Yandle, Staal and Skjei will be a fine left side same as McD, Klein and McI would be fine on the right.

Finally bring Stamkos and move Brassard to further replenish our prospect pool.

Add Zubov to the coaching staff.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

4. Resign Vic Stahlberg.

Kreider-Step-Radulov
Buchnevich-Brass-Zucc
Miller-Hayes-Fast
McD-Klein
Yandle-McIlrath
Skjei-Girardi
Hank

Good management? You think Gorton is a moron. The Rangers aren't winning the Cup next season. Those are your words. News flash. The Rangers aren't winning the Cup in 2018 either. IF your plan does not work in 2-3 years,then rebuild but you wasted another 2-3 years.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So assuming all rfa sign which is likely depth chart is
Stepan , brassard , Hayes, Lindberg , hrvik
Kreider , Miller , buchnevich , x, Jensen
Zuccarello, Nash , fast , x, glass

Safe to say Moore walks and I think stalberg does too just to change faces

I'd move Nash for a Ritchie and a 1st . Sign cheap depth guys , trade glass for cap space

On D mc D , girardi ( like it or not) , Klein , skjei , mcilrath , cheap ufa vet

Trade staal for a 2nd , sign

Next year buyout girardi , sign shattenkirk

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
I love the idea of trading Nash for futures. I don't love the idea of signing Yandle because in two years it will be another contract that we are dying to get out of. Keep Jensen for sure. Even bring Stalberg back on a cheap filler deal. Deal Glass for cap relief. Lineup as follows:

Miller Brassard Zuccarello
Kreider Stepan Buchnevich
Stalberg Hayes Jensen
Hrivik Lindberg Fast

McDonagh Klein
Staal McIlrath
Skjei Girardi

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So assuming all rfa sign which is likely depth chart is
Stepan , brassard , Hayes, Lindberg , hrvik
Kreider , Miller , buchnevich , x, Jensen
Zuccarello, Nash , fast , x, glass

Safe to say Moore walks and I think stalberg does too just to change faces

I'd move Nash for a Ritchie and a 1st . Sign cheap depth guys , trade glass for cap space

On D mc D , girardi ( like it or not) , Klein , skjei , mcilrath , cheap ufa vet

Trade staal for a 2nd , sign

Next year buyout girardi , sign shattenkirk

Girardi's buyout doesn't get much better next summer:

YEAR CAP HIT
2017-18 $2,611,111
2018-19 $3,611,111
2019-20 $3,611,111
2020-21 $1,111,111
2021-22 $1,111,111
2022-23 $1,111,111

We are better off trying to trade him, or hoping he can be exposed in the expansion draft and gets claimed, or hoping he retires or can be put on LTIR indefinitely.

The buyout just isn't worth it until the final year of his contract, at best.

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Good management? You think Gorton is a moron. The Rangers aren't winning the Cup next season. Those are your words. News flash. The Rangers aren't winning the Cup in 2018 either. IF your plan does not work in 2-3 years,then rebuild but you wasted another 2-3 years.

People thought the Sharks were done and they are not . Do you add youth yes do you blow it up ? No

This leagues even. In a bad year they got 101 pts . Don't panic retool

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Girardi's buyout does get much better next summer:

YEAR CAP HIT
2017-18 $2,611,111
2018-19 $3,611,111
2019-20 $3,611,111
2020-21 $1,111,111
2021-22 $1,111,111
2022-23 $1,111,111

We are better off trying to trade him, or hoping he can be exposed in the expansion draft and gets claimed, or hoping he retires or can be put on LTIR indefinitely.

The buyout just isn't worth it until the final year of his contract, at best.

I definitely agree it's not worth it this year . A lot can happen year to year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad