Speculation: Roster Building LX: The Return of Cap(tain) Crunch aka LB Bus Stop Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Could be a higher upside player, but Jost hasn't shown a whole lot. I'd take a flyer on a big body RH shot whose played more against men and shown well versus his peers in Kaut. Jost to me is in the Sam Bennet mold. Could be a very good player, but a depth piece.

Kaut I see as a third liner, neither are anything special to write home about.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
the NHLPA won't make more $$ that way because of escrow...the players get 50%. burying bad contracts and then giving out that $$ to other players just increases the likelihood of escrow and all players having to pay back a % of their salary

Not quite true. Players in the AHL aren't subject to escrow. The salary they make in the AHL doesn't count against the NHL spend. Doesn't apply to signing bonuses but at least that's how it worked the last go around.

Reactions: egelband

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
No offense, but I think that is playing a bit with words. We have a defender who might get time on the 4th line and a PPQB who probably is 4th in order for the job. For me at least that cap space is dead.

And we can of course only speculate on what is best with Buch and ADA. But to put it like this, if we give Gorton 6m extra cap space this and next season — I think it will be very valuable for the organization. He would make good moves with it.

Fair enough. It's a difference of opportunity cost versus a lack of purchasing power. Neither helps the team ice a winner.

More cap space, without these horrible contracts the Rangers handed out would be most useful. Not arguments there.

Reactions: Ola

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
Rangers GM Jeff Gorton now has to play the salary cap game
Rangers GM Gorton now has to play the salary cap game

"Gorton may have no choice but to trade Kreider, who has been the Rangers’ first-line left wing and who tied his career high in goals last season with 28. The 28-year-old carries a $4.65 million cap hit, and if he isn’t traded, the Rangers would likely have to sign him to a long-term deal paying him in the neighborhood of $7 million per year. That kind of money would be tough to fit under the cap in 2020-21 and beyond.

Other likely candidates to be traded would include forwards Vlad Namestnikov (one year remaining at $4 million) and Ryan Strome (one year, $3.1 million).

If Gorton opts to use the buyout window, Shattenkirk and Smith each have two years left on four-year contracts signed in the summer of 2017. Buying out Shattenkirk — whose cap hit in each of the next two years is $6.65 million — would save $5.2 million against the cap this season, according to CapFriendly."

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not a ton there we didn't already know, but a decent recap.

I can't see any realistic scenario now with Panarin that keeps Kreider here after his contract ends, and with the amount of money tied up now and in future wingers it probably isn't a good idea anyways.

Getting good assets for him is the tricky bit. Could we get a Nash-lite deadline return for him? Or would it be more in the Zucc/Grabner range?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Not a ton there we didn't already know, but a decent recap.

I can't see any realistic scenario now with Panarin that keeps Kreider here after his contract ends, and with the amount of money tied up now and in future wingers it probably isn't a good idea anyways.

Getting good assets for him is the tricky bit. Could we get a Nash-lite deadline return for him? Or would it be more in the Zucc/Grabner range?

I think the cap space next year goes to address a 4th line and a veteran center.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
Are Brooks fooled or aren't there really a market for Shattenkirk? Like so many have said before, he must have value at 50%. Unless there is a common consensus around the league to not take the Rangers out of this situation. If so we're f***ed.
Trouba & Buch getting singed is great and all but the first ting I'm looking for is when the f*** some cap will be shredded.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Unless there is a common consensus around the league to not take the Rangers out of this situation. If so we're ****ed.
Not sure how this sentiment would exist when there are easier fish to fry in making Toronto's life harder to sign Marner, and yet GMs are lining around the corner to help them out.

Reactions: jas

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
In before Gorton buys out no one and trades Skjei
This would be a very shrewd move if the scouts were sold on Hajek and Miller being the future on the left side. What would Skjei return that would be palatable for little money on the cap?

Reactions: hi

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This would be a very shrewd move if the scouts were sold on Hajek and Miller being the future on the left side. What would Skjei return that would be palatable for little money on the cap?

I highly doubt it happens. The Rangers went into this off-season knowing that they had 1 legit top 4 NHL defenseman. That was Sjkei.

They legitimately have 2 now with Skjei & Trouba.

The rest are either unproven or have been disproved as top 4 NHL defensemen.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Are Brooks fooled or aren't there really a market for Shattenkirk? Like so many have said before, he must have value at 50%. Unless there is a common consensus around the league to not take the Rangers out of this situation. If so we're ****ed.
Trouba & Buch getting singed is great and all but the first ting I'm looking for is when the **** some cap will be shredded.

Unless you are giving up a valuable asset, teams aren't going to help you solve your cap problems.

I heard a number of teams were pissed off at Carolina for that they took to help TOR with the Marleau buyout.

It changed the market value for a 1st round pick as being equivalent to ~$3M to $6M.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I highly doubt it happens. The Rangers went into this off-season knowing that they had 1 legit top 4 NHL defenseman. That was Sjkei.

They legitimately have 2 now with Skjei & Trouba.

The rest are either unproven or have been disproved as top 4 NHL defensemen.
I tend to agree. Skjei's value at the moment isn't as high as it was a year ago, for example. If he has a monster year and Miller and Hajek continue to progress, it's possible the Rangers should explore what his value would be around the league.

If he can net the Rangers a 2nd line center at a reasonable cap hit or that similar to Skjei's, that's a move I'd consider a year from now.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I tend to agree. Skjei's value at the moment isn't as high as it was a year ago, for example. If he has a monster year and Miller and Hajek continue to progress, it's possible the Rangers should explore what his value would be around the league.

If he can net the Rangers a 2nd line center at a reasonable cap hit or that similar to Skjei's, that's a move I'd consider a year from now.

Yeah and even that has a number of things depending on it. I think Miller ends up as a real deal top pair defenseman in 21-22, and I see Hajek as a 20+ minute a night guy in 20-21. So a long ways to go.

Brady had one really bad year long stretch, from December 2018 to December 2019. He was awful after the sell-off of 2018, and had a really poor first 2 months of last year.

After that he settled down. IMO he can be the player we saw during his rookie year. I thought he really became more consistent and played a stable game after Christmas.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I am concerned. I don't think Larry would be writing this without knowing something and I don't think this is the right move.

In fact, I think it is a downright terrible move. Smith is the ideal buyout candidate. If you aren't going to buy him out, then it has to be Staal. There is no logic that says keep Staal and Smith and buy out Shattenkirk. I get that there is always more going on behind the scenes than we know about but this one just makes no sense.

Not going to overreact until I see how this plays out but I am skeptical to say the least.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
If the Rangers don't bring in another high ticket player next year Shattenkirk's cap hit probably won't be hard at all.

The most likely guy to be high ticket would happen if Kreider re-signed. If he doesn't and gets moved for a Hayes like package--that's a draft pick and a cheaper ELC player. I also don't think Namestnikov is going to be a Ranger for the 20-21 season--or at least he won't be getting a $4 mil per contract from us again--Beleskey will be gone as well and the cap will go up another $2-3 mil. The guys most likely staying will be cheaper contract guys--so if we subtract Kreider, Names, Beleskey and add $2-3 mil that's $12-13 mil.

....and this is a thing going on with the Rangers that in the coming years we're going to be more and more able to fill from within with younger and cheaper players.

Very true on all accounts but we still need to find a 2nd line center. But that's for another season.. I just think shatty is the only tradeable guy out of the 3 s`s. And if he plays well enough during the season we know some team will be desperate enough to want him for whatever. I believe in this organization and what they have done so far I'm on board with, they haven't given me a reason to doubt

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I am concerned. I don't think Larry would be writing this without knowing something and I don't think this is the right move.

In fact, I think it is a downright terrible move. Smith is the ideal buyout candidate. If you aren't going to buy him out, then it has to be Staal. There is no logic that says keep Staal and Smith and buy out Shattenkirk. I get that there is always more going on behind the scenes than we know about but this one just makes no sense.

Not going to overreact until I see how this plays out but I am skeptical to say the least.

Larry is a hack and writes things and throws them on a wall to see if it sticks. I dont believe anything he writes. Plus in his entire crap article he never states a source or that the rangers will do so. Brooks is just writing his opinion on who should be bought out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad