Speculation: Roster Building LX: The Return of Cap(tain) Crunch aka LB Bus Stop Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Larry is a hack and writes things and throws them on a wall to see if it sticks. I dont believe anything he writes. Plus in his entire crap article he never states a source or that the rangers will do so. Brooks is just writing his opinion on who should be bought out

Well, I disagree. He doesn't do a good job of separating his opinion pieces from those where he is relaying factual information, that I absolutely agree with. But he isn't a hack, that is absurd.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I am concerned. I don't think Larry would be writing this without knowing something and I don't think this is the right move.

In fact, I think it is a downright terrible move. Smith is the ideal buyout candidate. If you aren't going to buy him out, then it has to be Staal. There is no logic that says keep Staal and Smith and buy out Shattenkirk. I get that there is always more going on behind the scenes than we know about but this one just makes no sense.

Not going to overreact until I see how this plays out but I am skeptical to say the least.

It could be one of his click-bait pieces. He's really good at that. The headline alone spars a lot of conversation, so he's already delivered on fan engagement through that article.

If it's legit, and it happens, I'll be curious to see how they work around the $6M in dead space next year.

Personally I don't want Smith or Shattenkirk on the team this season, but I'm hoping the former is a buyout and the other is a healthy scratch.

To @Ola 's earlier points, all of these things would be a dead use of cap space.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Well, I disagree. He doesn't do a good job of separating his opinion pieces from those where he is relaying factual information, that I absolutely agree with. But he isn't a hack, that is absurd.

And that's why he's still the last one standing. I respect the guy- a lot actually.

His profession has drastically changed, yet he's still clicking. None of the other Ranger beat writers are around.

None.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ

Then we can agree to disagree on that since you said it yourself he cant separate his opinion from facts. In doing so he writes pieces that fit his own agenda and wants. Example this last piece he wrote. He has been wanting to buy out shatty for a long time and writes that this is who will be bought out. Yet adds nothing in his article sourcing anything that the rangers brass are going to be buying shattenkirk out. It's all speculation. This is why I consider him a hack and his writing to be bullshit. It's a click bait piece. He knows we are all waiting on the next thing to happen since we need to clear cap space.. and so he writes this and wala! People are clicking and reading

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
And that's why he's still the last one standing. I respect the guy- a lot actually.

His profession has drastically changed, yet he's still clicking. None of the other Ranger beat writers are around.

None.

He also writes for the nypost lol.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Well, I disagree. He doesn't do a good job of discerning his opinion pieces from those where he is relaying factual information, that I absolutely agree with. But he isn't a hack, that is absurd.
Absolutely.
And just my little hangup but I hate throwing around terms like "hack" (and similarly, this player "sucks" or is "garbage").
When people are earnestly doing their their jobs, I mean. If Brooks was cynically trying to stir up things, sure.
But he's just a guy (one of very few, these days) reporting on the Rangers. Disagree or criticize, sure. But he's no hack.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Absolutely.
And just my little hangup but I hate throwing around terms like "hack" (and similarly, this player "sucks" or is "garbage").
When people are earnestly doing their their jobs, I mean. If Brooks was cynically trying to stir up things, sure.
But he's just a guy (one of very few, these days) reporting on the Rangers. Disagree or criticize, sure. But he's no hack.

A true reporter does not speculate or push his own agenda. A true reporter writes facts and backs them up with sources. Which is crazy uncle Larry who writes for the nypost?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Doesn’t Shattenkirk have a NTC? Something tells me this is the front office posturing because he doesn’t want to waive for a team possibly interested.
Interesting. But don't you think that Shattenkirk, if his choice were buyout or trade to a place he's not interested in, the buyout is way more appetizing. He becomes a free agent and gets another payday.
Pride is the only mitigating factor there. But it's an interesting thought.

Reactions: bl02 and ETTER DE

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Has the NHL trading deadline been moved from February 24 to July 31?

Colin Stephenson is lost. The Rangers don't have to trade Kreider in the next few days. Fat ass Kevin Hayes brought back a 1st and a decent roster player as a rental. Kreider is a better player.

Maybe there is a possible trade for him later this summer like Pacioretty last year.

Gorton will have more leverage not being pressed up against the salary cap after they clear the cap money. Other teams see the Rangers predicament and are trying to take advantage of them. The Rangers would be doing the same thing.

Kreider is the best free agent winger available outside of Hall. The Rangers should have a good market for him this winter and Kreider will have a great market next summer. Backstrom will also be a free agent next summer. He will probably stay where he is.

It sucks to buy Shattenkirk out but the Rangers don't have many alternatives if the trade market is stagnant. The Rangers need to clear out so much money.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Interesting. But don't you think that Shattenkirk, if his choice were buyout or trade to a place he's not interested in, the buyout is way more appetizing. He becomes a free agent and gets another payday.
Pride is the only mitigating factor there. But it's an interesting thought.

Yes that’s a possibility. Unless the other team would prefer to offload a contract in return

The other possibility is the other team may believe that should he get bought out, he may not choose them. Kevin can play the game and see if Gorton blinks and buys him out but he may not. If he doesn’t and he has another poor season, he may not have a similar opportunity next offseason.

If I was the player and there was a team who believed in me and was going to give me a new opportunity I’d take it. A buyout rarely goes well long term for that player.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Has the NHL trading deadline been moved from February 24 to July 31?

Colin Stephenson is lost. The Rangers don't have to trade Kreider in the next few days. Fat ass Kevin Hayes brought back a 1st and a decent roster player as a rental. Kreider is a better player.

Maybe there is a possible trade for him later this summer like Pacioretty last year.

Gorton will have more leverage not being pressed up against the salary cap after they clear the cap money. Other teams see the Rangers predicament and are trying to take advantage of them. The Rangers would be doing the same thing.

Kreider is the best free agent winger available outside of Hall. The Rangers should have a good market for him this winter and Kreider will have a great market next summer. Backstrom will also be a free agent next summer. He will probably stay where he is.

It sucks to buy Shattenkirk out but the Rangers don't have many alternatives if the trade market is stagnant. The Rangers need to clear out so much money.

In fairness it’s a much more intelligent plan to buyout Staal and Smith and keep Shattenkirk

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Very true on all accounts but we still need to find a 2nd line center. But that's for another season.. I just think shatty is the only tradeable guy out of the 3 s`s. And if he plays well enough during the season we know some team will be desperate enough to want him for whatever. I believe in this organization and what they have done so far I'm on board with, they haven't given me a reason to doubt

Well the rebuild is still going on you know.....and that IMO is where Chytil comes in. He's got the size, got the wheels, got the creative offensive instincts--he just needs to put them to better use--speaking of which having guys like Panarin, Kakko and Kravtsov around--all wingers with a ton of talent should bring out better in him. He also needs to play better defensively and get better on face-offs--needs to use his size better but he's also got a full year in the NHL now under his belt too. He should improve. He's the guy I'd really want to take over that spot and maybe even eventually take over the 1C. Filip's a really talented player.

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto

None.
True. I miss non-paywall Carp on the Ranger beat.

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
A true reporter does not speculate or push his own agenda. A true reporter writes facts and backs them up with sources. Which is crazy uncle Larry who writes for the nypost?
You seem to have a very strict definition of a reporter, one that has likely never held true. There are several types of articles in which reporters voice their opinions, see here.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think you guys are going to be really good this year. You got one of the most underrated players in the league in Brady skjei leading the defense, along with Trouba and fox coming in; to top it all off, the bread man up front... I’m jealous.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
You seem to have a very strict definition of a reporter, one that has likely never held true. There are several types of articles in which reporters voice their opinions, see here.

It's what a real reporter does. Reports and present truths based on facts and sources. Which is why he is not a reporter he is mainly an opinion writer. As you have shown with your definition of an opinion piece, look up what a reporter is/does. You will instantly know the difference.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Every player that is potentially on the block , with the exception of Smith, has value. In most cases they do not have as much value as their contract. Kreider would be the exception. That’s why I am in favor of keeping any asset with potential value and moving them at a later date.

Things happen. Players get hurt. Performances fluctuate. I could easily see Shattenkirk rebuild value. I’m OK with this being a de facto rebuilding year and if that means carrying some players until they rebuild value or burn contract dollars until it is time to move them I’ll live with that.

I’m pretty sure the Big Boys have this figured out. And they will let Larry and the rest of us know what they are thinking this week.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I think you guys are going to be really good this year. You got one of the most underrated players in the league in Brady skjei leading the defense, along with Trouba and fox coming in; to top it all off, the bread man up front... I’m jealous.

Depends how Fox and Hajek go. Gets pretty ugly after Skjei/Trouba/TDA

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
This would be a very shrewd move if the scouts were sold on Hajek and Miller being the future on the left side. What would Skjei return that would be palatable for little money on the cap?

It would be shrewd to trade Skjei after he rehabs his value this year next to Trouba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad