Speculation: Roster Building LX: The Return of Cap(tain) Crunch aka LB Bus Stop Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Every player that is potentially on the block , with the exception of Smith, has value. In most cases they do not have as much value as their contract. Kreider would be the exception. That’s why I am in favor of keeping any asset with potential value and moving them at a later date.

Things happen. Players get hurt. Performances fluctuate. I could easily see Shattenkirk rebuild value. I’m OK with this being a de facto rebuilding year and if that means carrying some players until they rebuild value or burn contract dollars until it is time to move them I’ll live with that.

I’m pretty sure the Big Boys have this figured out. And they will let Larry and the rest of us know what they are thinking this week.

Buying out Shattenkirk frees up $5,166,667 this season.

One of the other moves doesn't come close to that number.

Sending a player to the AHL sees the Rangers save just $1,075,000 off the cap number.

The trade market is stagnant. So many teams are trying to move players and money. The Smith for Anisimov and Lucic for Neal trades were money for money. The Rangers are looking to shed money. If you look at Capfriendly, so many teams are pressed up against the cap with key players to re-sign.

Everyone is focused on Shattenkirk buyout implications next season and not this season. The Rangers to free up a lot of money. They aren't playing with the same 18 skaters all season. Shattenkirk is the quickest and easiest way to clear that money instead of making 2 or 3 moves. Some of those moves aren't easy to make right now. The Rangers have spent the entire summer trying to make those moves.

Shattenkirk was a disaster from day one. He reported to camp in bad shape. He hurt his knee in camp. He ended up having major surgery on that knee. Quinn had more confidence in ADA and Pionk than Shattenkirk. The Rangers have added Trouba and Fox. Where is the opportunity for Shattenkirk and how healthy is his knee? His mobility was an issue before the Rangers signed him. He hurt his knee and he looked awful. There were times last season where he looked immobile out there.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Shattenkirk was in bad shape going into his first Rangers season? I wasn't aware of that. Is there corroboration for that @RangerBoy ?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Shattenkirk has a NMC. The team has to put a player on waivers before they can buy him out. He has the right to reject being placed on waivers and the Rangers just execute the buyout without the waivers. Usually the player gets placed on waivers and everyone knows the player will or will not clear in 24 hours which will be followed by a buyout. We won't get any notice about a Shattenkirk buyout unless it's leaked.

liv4socr20

Jul 18, 2009
Shattenkirk was in bad shape going into his first Rangers season? I wasn't aware of that. Is there corroboration for that @RangerBoy ?

I definitely remember reports of him being out of shape. Not like Smith 20 lbs wedding overweight, but more along the lines of not in shape for peak performance.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Buying out Shattenkirk frees up $5,166,667 this season.

One of the other moves doesn't come close to that number.

Sending a player to the AHL sees the Rangers save just $1,075,000 off the cap number.

The trade market is stagnant. So many teams are trying to move players and money. The Smith for Anisimov and Lucic for Neal trades were money for money. The Rangers are looking to shed money. If you look at Capfriendly, so many teams are pressed up against the cap with key players to re-sign.

Everyone is focused on Shattenkirk buyout implications next season and not this season. The Rangers to free up a lot of money. They aren't playing with the same 18 skaters all season. Shattenkirk is the quickest and easiest way to clear that money instead of making 2 or 3 moves. Some of those moves aren't easy to make right now. The Rangers have spent the entire summer trying to make those moves.

Shattenkirk was a disaster from day one. He reported to camp in bad shape. He hurt his knee in camp. He ended up having major surgery on that knee. Quinn had more confidence in ADA and Pionk than Shattenkirk. The Rangers have added Trouba and Fox. Where is the opportunity for Shattenkirk and how healthy is his knee? His mobility was an issue before the Rangers signed him. He hurt his knee and he looked awful. There were times last season where he looked immobile out there.

The situation is pretty much like all of this and there are very few teams left who could take on a major contract....and Shattenkirk's play here has been a disappointment...and we have a younger and much cheaper player in place (Fox) to replace him. Buying him out would put us in a place where we could sign both DeAngelo and Lemieux and go into the season with the rest of the lineup in place and work out whatever other deals that will need to be made (such as Kreider/Namestnikov) during the season.

That said the Rangers are going to have to move on from Staal, Smith and probably even Lundqvist to reopen the window and become a team that's capable of contending again. The combination of age/decline and the weight to their cap space are problematic to us reopening the window. They all got to go and the idea of getting whatever value is great but it can also get like someone selling their used pair of skates expecting to get practically what they paid for them---that almost never happens.

Last edited:

Shadowtron

Feb 27, 2002
Earth
A true reporter does not speculate or push his own agenda. A true reporter writes facts and backs them up with sources. Which is crazy uncle Larry who writes for the nypost?

Larry Brooks is a columnist. That’s why his pieces are predominantly opinion pieces. And whatever facts he does report, he typically offers his opinions of them. That’s what he’s paid to do.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Unless I'm missing something, I don't see why the Rangers would buy out Shattenkirk versus Staal + Smith.

Players with Shattenkirk's pedigree always have trade value.

Same. I'm really lost here. Fox is hardly a sure thing and can easily spend some of the season marinating in the AHL. We can try to find a buyer for Shattenkirk.

Shattenkirk at least has hopes of turning around his play to garner some value to flip at the deadline. Staal is complete trash and there is no hope of him becoming a serviceable player.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Any buyout creates dead space but kreider, names, Strome, Beleskey and fast come off the books plus giradi’s buyout drops.

No buyout is ideal but we’d be ok next year

We would still have to replace four of the five names mentioned.

That's going to cost close to 10 million based on the roles they play

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
One of Nieves/McKegg + Bellesky waived
1 year QOs or close to that for the RFAs
Smith bought out
One more move
Not rocket science

So, basically:

Step 1: Buyout Smith, waiver players, sign RFAs for minimum
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

What's that one more move? Is it another buyout? Because a trade sure doesn't seem likely at this point. If we buy out Shattenkirk and the rest happens, we won't need that one more move.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I get the feeling the Rangers will move Kreider for a salary dump with little return.

Big picture
- Fox was on the cheap
- Kappo was luck and on the cheap
- Lemieux and Trouba for Hayes was on the cheap
- Panarin was a bit cheaper than it could have been

I think Kreider is the one we give away on the cheap

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I get the feeling the Rangers will move Kreider for a salary dump with little return.

Big picture
- Fox was on the cheap
- Kappo was luck and on the cheap
- Lemieux and Trouba for Hayes was on the cheap
- Panarin was a bit cheaper than it could have been

I think Kreider is the one we give away on the cheap

Yeah this isn't happening.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The torn meniscus he had surgery for dated back to the end of September 2017. So, basically his first training camp. He played through it, got a few shots in the knee, and it didn't respond as him/the team wanted. So eventually they shut him down in Jan 2018 and had him get surgery.

So he was injured in a decently big way right off the bat.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You’re thinking the Rangers will get more or less? Hoping for more but i’m not too confident. What do you think at this point?

I don't think they're going to move him strictly as a cap dump.

I think they'll assert other measures to open up cap space if the offers are underwhelming and if they continue to be underwhelming, they'll hold onto him for the time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad