Speculation: Roster Building LX: The Return of Cap(tain) Crunch aka LB Bus Stop Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Brooks also thinks we should bring back the dark ages of the rangers.

Not sure how buying out Shattenkirk amounts to 'bring(ing) back the dark ages of the Rangers'. Kevin has struggled in his two years here. He is shaky--always has been to a degree--defensively--what's always saved him and got him his deal with the Rangers was his offensive game. Last year's 1-6-7 on the power play was not good. A Shattenkirk without the offense is not a top 4 D and paying $6.5 mil for him is a bad contract for the Rangers. One other thing it tells me (if Shattenkirk does get bought out that is) is that the Rangers are confident that Fox can step in and play.

Reactions: bl02 and egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
It's dead space in the fact that it is unusable. The player, as bad as he is, still provides some sort of utility.

I think the Rangers were hamstrung with the cap to not go with the bridge route for Buch. IMO I would have liked to given Buch a 4 year deal at $18M. That would be great value for the next 4 years.

With Ada- you know there are externalities with him so giving him term isn't something I would do until he truly shows what he can do. I'm guessing he signs his QO or gets a $1M+ once the Rangers clear some space.

A Names and Smith buyout gets you $6M in space this year, while costing you only $1.3M in dead space next year (Smith's BO number off-setting Girardi's).

That $6M in space, and sending Belesky & one of Nieves and McKegg down gives the Rangers operating room this year.

That's how I see things playing out if trades can't be pulled off.

No offense, but I think that is playing a bit with words. We have a defender who might get time on the 4th line and a PPQB who probably is 4th in order for the job. For me at least that cap space is dead.

And we can of course only speculate on what is best with Buch and ADA. But to put it like this, if we give Gorton 6m extra cap space this and next season — I think it will be very valuable for the organization. He would make good moves with it.

Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Won't buying out Shatty really not do anything for our cap situation next year? Wouldn't we still have to buy out Staal or Smith anyway? Maybe I missed something.

Any buyout creates dead space but kreider, names, Strome, Beleskey and fast come off the books plus giradi’s buyout drops.

No buyout is ideal but we’d be ok next year

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I feel like he was following a plan until this summer. Then it feels like he turned a switch and did whatever it took to make a playoff roster... at the expense of future success.

Between the deadweight and the lag until our d prospects are ready, I don't see them being ready for a few seasons. Now we are potentially pushing caps hit into the future for 4 seasons. Buyouts, rookie bonuses, bridge deals. We could have used our cap space as a asset while we waited for our prospects to get ready. We should have locked up our RFAs to long term deals instead of waiting. We should have ppried away quality players from strapped teams. We should have let our bad deals expire in 2 seasons.

This won't be popular but I don't see long term thinking when we add an $11.6m wing to this wing depth. Not with our center issues.

I'll be honest, it was nice having cap space for 18 months. People can think we will have more of it in 2 years but I'm skeptical. ADA and Buch, if he isn't moved now, will be owed big deals. That's with new deals for Georgiev, Chytil and Andersson. On the eve of Kakko and Kravtsov. I can't honestly believe they won't spend ever available cent between now and then . They showed restraint for 2 summers out of every single summer in club history. Gorton gets the benefit of the doubt on many aspects for sure but I can't view him as the one lone ranger GM that doesn't spend to the limit.

I have my reasons to be skeptical about the path. I'm not just being negative because I'm different and edgy. I hope to be wrong and I'll admit when I am when it plays out differently as usual.

There's nothing wrong with having this view, it's not sunshine and roses but who cares it's not doom and gloom either. I think you're correct I loved the way the rebuild was going and the patience and restraint they were showing with all the moves prior to the 7/1/19. I suppose phase 1 was what we had from the Letter-7/1 and I would have liked a better transition then just a full steam ahead approach.

IMO, Kakko accelerated the organization's thought process. I am not sure about the entire Panarin signing in relationship to how it jives with the rebuild. He's an elite player sure but there are timeline aspects that just don't add/line up. I think things would have looked immeasurably better had Gorton been able to swing something to get Zegras (or whichever center they were high on). Now that's the last position where the pipeline is rather lean. Unfortunately, it's a pretty damn important position.

Hopefully the depth in other area's allows Gorton to pick up a decent prospect or 2 at center. Obviously, it would be great if he could pick up a guy like they did with Mika, a prospect that just needs a different environment or is poised for a breakout if given the chance, they're out there you just have to find them.

Gorton would have been foolish not to take that Trouba deal, that was a no brainer. On paper that was pretty much a steal of a trade solidifying arguably the most difficult position to fill in hockey. Is the Panarin signing different than other free agent signings in the past? I know that the contract won't be easy to move if Gorton needs to and it's a big cap hit but he took less to come here so it's not like he's a hired gun like the past players, he wanted NY and he's a true elite player. I will say it as well, I would have rather the Rangers passed on that contract at this point but understand why many wanted him and why he was ultimately signed.

Anyway, all we can do is watch and see if the contradicting moves can work. Gorton has been pretty damn good since he started running things, he's made many more good decisions versus bad so I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
How do you write an entire article premised on buying out Shattenkirk, to the point where you use the word "will" in your title, yet never once even mention [let alone analyze] the cap hit implications of the buyout. Going further, not even addressing the cost and cap hits against other potential buyouts. It isn't just lazy, it is plain ignorant.

Dinosaur.

Reactions: Tob

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
They might use the two buyouts and if one is Shattenkirk, the other won't be Smith, it'll be Namestnikov. If we are at the point where he has no takers at 50%, why not just eat his 1.33 hit the next two seasons?

His buyout is relatively cheap and only for 2 years. Smith, you bury this year and could buyout in June or trade his cap hit after 7/1/20 to a team that needs to hit the cap floor. He has a salary reduction and a $1M signing bonus. You'd send an asset the other way to do it, but it's an easier move to make then eating the buyout cap hit for 4 years

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
How do you write an entire article premised on buying out Shattenkirk, to the point where you use the word "will" in your title, yet never once even mention [let alone analyze] the cap hit implications of the buyout. Going further, not even addressing the cost and cap hits against other potential buyouts. It isn't just lazy, it is plain ignorant.

Dinosaur.
He totally neglected to mention the 6M cap hit they will have next season if they do indeed buy him out. It would be an idiotic mistake if they do but wouldn't be surprised at this point.

Reactions: Alluckks

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
They might use the two buyouts and if one is Shattenkirk, the other won't be Smith, it'll be Namestnikov. If we are at the point where he has no takers at 50%, why not just eat his 1.33 hit the next two seasons?

His buyout is relatively cheap and only for 2 years. Smith, you bury this year and could buyout in June or trade his cap hit after 7/1/20 to a team that needs to hit the cap floor. He has a salary reduction and a $1M signing bonus. You'd send an asset the other way to do it, but it's an easier move to make then eating the buyout cap hit for 4 years
There is no interest in Namestnikov at $4.1MM. Nobody has that type of cap room right now

Last year at the deadline there was noise that San Jose was interested. This year at the deadline when 3/4 of his contract is burned off and half can be retained, there will be interest. He's easily one of the top 12 forwards on this team.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Not sure how buying out Shattenkirk amounts to 'bring(ing) back the dark ages of the Rangers'. Kevin has struggled in his two years here. He is shaky--always has been to a degree--defensively--what's always saved him and got him his deal with the Rangers was his offensive game. Last year's 1-6-7 on the power play was not good. A Shattenkirk without the offense is not a top 4 D and paying $6.5 mil for him is a bad contract for the Rangers. One other thing it tells me (if Shattenkirk does get bought out that is) is that the Rangers are confident that Fox can step in and play.

Bc it only does somethi g this year for us and next year puts us over the cap again depending upon what we do with names, krieder, and strome, and who we bring in. Plus Brooks has been on a crusade to buy out shatty all year long. I believe he is the only spdefenseman that can up his value and be traded at the deadline and the rangers brass dont know if fox can handle a 82 game work load when he has never played an NHL game..

Besides that the entire time we have been rebuilding he has shown ti e and time again that he is against it and that us as fans would never be for it

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I don’t understand what that means lol

The entire time we have been rebuilding and since the letter has come out he has constantly wrote that he is against the idea, that we as fans would never be ok with it. That we should sign x player and y player who are old and over the hill. I stopped reading his articles bc of his lack of insight and his complete stupidity

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Bc it only does somethi g this year for us and next year puts us over the cap again depending upon what we do with names, krieder, and strome, and who we bring in. Plus Brooks has been on a crusade to buy out shatty all year long. I believe he is the only spdefenseman that can up his value and be traded at the deadline and the rangers brass dont know if fox can handle a 82 game work load when he has never played an NHL game..

Besides that the entire time we have been rebuilding he has shown ti e and time again that he is against it and that us as fans would never be for it

My memory is that when we were going for it Larry was pro rebuild then we started doing what he was preach and he flipped sides

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
They shouldnt have to buy out anyone really. I doubt Staal leaves until his contract is done...Shattenkirk as much as we might dislike him at times has value at half cap hit.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
The 6.08 for year two of the Shatty buyout + the callup or the Freddy Claesson type who fills the spot is only a little more than the 6.6 he makes now. $2.5M of the money we have to pay for the Girardi buyout is gone, Beleskey's gone, Vlad's gone, Kreider's probably gone, we'd need to resign Strome, Fast and Boo.

To me, it looks like the biggest opportunity cost is that it makes it a little harder for us to pay Ryan Strome five million dollars if he somehow has a great season. I'd be uncomfortable about doing that anyway! And especially with buying out one of the other guys next offseason, it's still doable.

Reactions: Minmonster

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
There is no interest in Namestnikov at $4.1MM. Nobody has that type of cap room right now

Last year at the deadline there was noise that San Jose was interested. This year at the deadline when 3/4 of his contract is burned off and half can be retained, there will be interest. He's easily one of the top 12 forwards on this team.

I think so too, but if we're looking for a way to become cap compliant for this season, while making the outcome less damaging in the future, a buyout of Names is the way to go.

Is holding his 4M for this season worth huge cap hits from a bought out Smith or Shattenkirk in 20-21? Open up 2.67M from that buyout. Trade Kreider and demote Smith.

Kreider isn't a cap dump like Names. We can get a lot for him, in spite of our cap troubles. I don't see the value of retaining Names to eventually move him in February for what will amount to a 3rd or 4th rounder while adding a huge cap amount of dead cap space next season.

As much as we're discussing being a team battling for a spot this season, they should not hurt the next 3 seasons more than this one coming up.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

The entire time we have been rebuilding and since the letter has come out he has constantly wrote that he is against the idea, that we as fans would never be ok with it. That we should sign x player and y player who are old and over the hill. I stopped reading his articles bc of his lack of insight and his complete stupidity

If the Rangers don't bring in another high ticket player next year Shattenkirk's cap hit probably won't be hard at all.

The most likely guy to be high ticket would happen if Kreider re-signed. If he doesn't and gets moved for a Hayes like package--that's a draft pick and a cheaper ELC player. I also don't think Namestnikov is going to be a Ranger for the 20-21 season--or at least he won't be getting a $4 mil per contract from us again--Beleskey will be gone as well and the cap will go up another $2-3 mil. The guys most likely staying will be cheaper contract guys--so if we subtract Kreider, Names, Beleskey and add $2-3 mil that's $12-13 mil.

....and this is a thing going on with the Rangers that in the coming years we're going to be more and more able to fill from within with younger and cheaper players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad