Speculation: Roster Building LX: The Return of Cap(tain) Crunch aka LB Bus Stop Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Just because we know that imminent moves are coming does not mean that we are cap strapped. Toronto was cap strapped, and for good reason.

Pretty sure if we just traded Names for 6th, buried Smith and Belesky, and gave Buch a bridge with essentially 1-2 year QO amount-ish deals to Lemieux and DeAngelo, we'd be fine.

The youth and potential on this team is outstanding. That said, we've seen plenty of teams that bottomed out around the league make it to this point in their attempted rebuild. The next 2-3 years is the hard part, the transition.

Getting the Trouba deal out of the way was a big hurdle that I'd think occupied a lot of Gorton's personal time lately. I also get the impression that Gorton likes to give the final word on nearly everything that happens within the organization. Wouldn't be surprised if there are things lined up that his support staff has been working on that he now just has to do his own personal due diligence on and sign off on or adjust.

It's been a fantastic offseason, and in reality there has been very little reason to question what the next move is or what the overall scheme is, even if it hasn't been perfectly laid out before us.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just because we know that imminent moves are coming does not mean that we are cap strapped. Toronto was cap strapped, and for good reason.

Pretty sure if we just traded Names for 6th, buried Smith and Belesky, and gave Buch a bridge with essentially 1-2 year QO amount-ish deals to Lemieux and DeAngelo, we'd be fine.

The youth and potential on this team is outstanding. That said, we've seen plenty of teams that bottomed out around the league make it to this point in their attempted rebuild. The next 2-3 years is the hard part, the transition.

Getting the Trouba deal out of the way was a big hurdle that I'd think occupied a lot of Gorton's personal time lately. I also get the impression that Gorton likes to give the final word on nearly everything that happens within the organization. Wouldn't be surprised if there are things lined up that his support staff has been working on that he now just has to do his own personal due diligence on and sign off on or adjust.

It's been a fantastic offseason, and in reality there has been very little reason to question what the next move is or what the overall scheme is, even if it hasn't been perfectly laid out before us.

I would not be shocked if the Rangers bought out Shattenkirk and/or Smith. It would kick our cap problems down the road a year and allow us to keep our current roster intact--even hang on to Kreider until the deadline or until we got a deal we really liked. Gives us time with Names as well if we're going to move him. We'd have about $6 to 10 mil to work with regarding Buch, ADA and Lemieux--maybe a little tight but doable. Next year we'd really pay on the buyout(s) but we'll have bought ourselves time to figure it out without trading off players in shit deals.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I would not be shocked if the Rangers bought out Shattenkirk and/or Smith. It would kick our cap problems down the road a year and allow us to keep our current roster intact--even hang on to Kreider until the deadline or until we got a deal we really liked. Gives us time with Names as well if we're going to move him. We'd have about $6 to 10 mil to work with regarding Buch, ADA and Lemieux--maybe a little tight but doable. Next year we'd really pay on the buyout(s) but we'll have bought ourselves time to figure it out without trading off players in **** deals.
Yup....by then we will know what we have in Buch and Skjei . They either take the next step or they are gone and hence the money to equal the S'kirk BO. Get that stuff looked after and identify what we lack in the upcoming draft and we should be OK .

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yup....by then we will know what we have in Buch and Skjei . They either take the next step or they are gone and hence the money to equal the S'kirk BO. Get that stuff looked after and identify what we lack in the upcoming draft and we should be OK .

I kind of look at this way too--why force a deal with Kreider that you don't like meanwhile hanging onto a player that's almost impossible to move. A lot depends I guess on whether the Rangers think Fox is ready for the NHL. If they do though......and Shattenkirk's cap savings go further towards the money we'll need for our unsigned RFA's than Kreider who is by far the more valuable player and one you'd really should get a good return for. Buying out Shatty gives us better leverage for a deal involving Kreider.

Reactions: leetch99

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Buying out Shattenkirk and Smith does create a bit of a problem on the right side of the D. You would have to go into the season with the hope that Fox is ready to play out of the gate, which is unlikely.

There isnt much depth their on the right side. Smith wasnt very good on the right but could fill in from time to time.

This is, ofcourse on top of $6MM ($9.1MM if you buy out Smith as well) in dead cap space next season.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I know they want to put the best team out there every night and I have to think that both Panarin and Trouba were sold on looking at the Playoffs sooner rather than later, but if we are now exiting the asset accumulation phase and are entering the actual construction phase of the rebuild, wouldn't it make more sense to allow 2nd year players an opportunity to take on larger roles?

For instance, by most posters line of thought, Strome is 2nd line center by default.

I'd argue, his money is better spent on retaining both Lemieux and DeAngelo.

The same goes for Namestnikov. not in the teams plans beyond this season and if that's the case, then why let that 4 million languish on the 3rd or fourth lines when we have capable bottom 6 players.

If I were GMJG, my focus is not on finding home for Kreider, or looking to buy out any of the three defenders (leaving them out there as absolute options), it's on finding homes for support players in Strome and Namestnikov.

Strome, Namestnikov and Belesky represent 8+ million in cap space.

I cant imagine Buchnevich, Lemieux and ADA costing that much in cap space

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I am on team no buy-outs.

Make a Vesey like deal for Namestnikov, and let the other chips fall where they may. I think you can move Strome out too.

Give the kids a chance to win the 2C job, if no one claims it, the Rangers can use their assets to get someone at the deadline.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'd be shocked if Gorts isn't sitting on a bunch of deals that are in the meh to okay range right now, and is simply playing the waiting game. If someone steps up and preempts, he'll make a deal, but if not, he'll let the situation play out until the buyout window opens, put out a call for the other GMs to make their last, best offer, and then make the call on his best option(s).

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I know they want to put the best team out there every night and I have to think that both Panarin and Trouba were sold on looking at the Playoffs sooner rather than later, but if we are now exiting the asset accumulation phase and are entering the actual construction phase of the rebuild, wouldn't it make more sense to allow 2nd year players an opportunity to take on larger roles?

For instance, by most posters line of thought, Strome is 2nd line center by default.

I'd argue, his money is better spent on retaining both Lemieux and DeAngelo.

The same goes for Namestnikov. not in the teams plans beyond this season and if that's the case, then why let that 4 million languish on the 3rd or fourth lines when we have capable bottom 6 players.

If I were GMJG, my focus is not on finding home for Kreider, or looking to buy out any of the three defenders (leaving them out there as absolute options), it's on finding homes for support players in Strome and Namestnikov.

Strome, Namestnikov and Belesky represent 8+ million in cap space.

I cant imagine Buchnevich, Lemieux and ADA costing that much in cap space

The truth is somewhere in the middle. If the lay of the land doesn’t change (i.e. Kreider trade for acceptable return) before the end of the buyout window there will be one buyout (probably Smith) and only one of Namestnikov or Strome (probably Namestnikov) will be moved. At least one of these forwards are still needed as an insurance policy and in Strome case - maybe there’s still more there to keep him in the core.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I'd be shocked if Gorts isn't sitting on a bunch of deals that are in the meh to okay range right now, and is simply playing the waiting game. If someone steps up and preempts, he'll make a deal, but if not, he'll let the situation play out until the buyout window opens, put out a call for the other GMs to make their last, best offer, and then make the call on his best option(s).
Agreed. I don't think Gorton would make the deal for Trouba and sign Panarin without knowing exactly how he would get cap compliant while not sacrificing the RFAs (one home grown and two who were traded for and have been proven to be good acquisitions).

I suppose a buyout(s) would be his last option but maybe he doesn't care about kicking problems down the road a bit.

I hated the Names contract from the moment we gave it, now I really wish we hadn't done that. Letting him walk for nothing would've been better than where we are.

Reactions: egelband

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
I think buying out staal and trading either strome or names is the way to go. I'd love to be able to trade shatty and names to Edmonton at 50% retained for poolboy. I'd add a pick to make it happen. I'm also in the camp of retaining krieder. His strength speed combo is extremely rare.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
There's a next to nil chance that the Rangers find the cap space to give Kreider $7 million on his next contract. Maybe Gorton thinks there will be more suitors and will get a better package at the deadline for him at this point. I can't imagine the offers for him are very good at this point.

I can see Namestnikov being dealt to Edmonton. They're desperate for forwards, and someone else here brought it up because he's proven he can produce with elite talent. I'd put him on McDavid's LW and see what he can do. Edmonton will give a mid rounder, I think.

The Rangers still need to make one more move. If the Rangers can manage to unload Smith at 50% to Ottawa or something, that might do it. That would clear $2 million and change, plus Namestnikov's $4 million, and that's $6 million to sign Buchnevich, Lemieux, and DeAngelo.

Bridge Buchnevich for two years at $3.75 million. DeAngelo and Lemieux both get their QO's for a year. That's about $1.75 million for both of them. Gives the Rangers a little over half a million to work with. It can be done.

Girardi's dead cap hit goes down from $3.5 million to $1.1 million after next season. That helps going forward.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The truth is somewhere in the middle. If the lay of the land doesn’t change (i.e. Kreider trade for acceptable return) before the end of the buyout window there will be one buyout (probably Smith) and only one of Namestnikov or Strome (probably Namestnikov) will be moved. At least one of these forwards are still needed as an insurance policy and in Strome case - maybe there’s still more there to keep him in the core.

I dont think Strome is a core piece for this or any other team.

Chytil is an offensive player and needs to play with offensive players

While I like him better as a winger, I think if hes playing center, the team is better today and for the foreseeable future

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I would like to avoid a buyout if possible. Don’t need dead cap in the important years coming.

Love Kreider, but I don’t know if I want to commit 7M a year to a 28 year old Kreider. He’s more than a cap dump though, so I wouldn’t mind hanging onto him until the deadline if the offer is there right now.

Strome at 2C is the lazy play. Dude isn’t that good and would just be blocking one of the kids from that spot. Trade him and Namestnikov for literally anything. Same goes for Smith if you can.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Kreider is as good as gone, personally I think the hold up is that Gorton is trying to attach a bad contract with him. Maybe Shattenkirk with half retained and Kreider for a package from Colorado or maybe Columbus, something like that.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I would like to avoid a buyout if possible. Don’t need dead cap in the important years coming.

Love Kreider, but I don’t know if I want to commit 7M a year to a 28 year old Kreider. He’s more than a cap dump though, so I wouldn’t mind hanging onto him until the deadline if the offer is there right now.

Strome at 2C is the lazy play. Dude isn’t that good and would just be blocking one of the kids from that spot. Trade him and Namestnikov for literally anything. Same goes for Smith if you can.

I don’t think Strome is getting qualified so he should be treated as a UFA

Only thing Is dealing Namestnikov and Strome moves depth so kids are thrown in to sink or swim ..... that’s where I could actually see Boyle at 1 million as a cheap stop gap

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
Maybe the buyouts we are discussing won't look as bad if we wait until next year. I still believe shatty has talent and can be traded if he can show that he's healthy. What about buch and names 50% to Edmonton for pulj and a 2nd? That's about a 4 million dollar savings with a reclamation project that could actually work out

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Maybe the buyouts we are discussing won't look as bad if we wait until next year. I still believe shatty has talent and can be traded if he can show that he's healthy. What about buch and names 50% to Edmonton for pulj and a 2nd? That's about a 4 million dollar savings with a reclamation project that could actually work out
I really hate to just throw Buch away like that

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I dont think Strome is a core piece for this or any other team.

Chytil is an offensive player and needs to play with offensive players

While I like him better as a winger, I think if hes playing center, the team is better today and for the foreseeable future

I Chytil as a center too but he will be barely 20 at the start of the season. What if bing a full time 2C is a year too soon?

And if we are talking Strome’s future - core is not necessary top6. What if Strome is a late bloomer which we do see if not often then at least pretty regularly? What if some prospects bust out? Mature Strome at a reasonable cap could be a big asset in top9 if certain factors play out.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Maybe the buyouts we are discussing won't look as bad if we wait until next year.

We don’t need cap space next year so buying anyone out on the last year of their contract won’t really help us.

As others have mentioned I’d love to not buy anyone out. 2 more seasons and all those contracts are done. But we need some space now to re-sign our RFA’s and that’s why a buyout makes sense.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Buying out Shattenkirk and Smith does create a bit of a problem on the right side of the D. You would have to go into the season with the hope that Fox is ready to play out of the gate, which is unlikely.

There isnt much depth their on the right side. Smith wasnt very good on the right but could fill in from time to time.

This is, ofcourse on top of $6MM ($9.1MM if you buy out Smith as well) in dead cap space next season.

in the highly unlike event that we can get rid of 2 guys. they will no doubt look to sign a cheap veteran as depth

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I Chytil as a center too but he will be barely 20 at the start of the season. What if bing a full time 2C is a year too soon?

And if we are talking Strome’s future - core is not necessary top6. What if Strome is a late bloomer which we do see if not often then at least pretty regularly? What if some prospects bust out? Mature Strome at a reasonable cap could be a big asset in top9 if certain factors play out.

For me, if we are talking about seriously going after a playoff spot, strome as 2c is the more practical solution

If we are talking about building chemistry amongst out forwards and helping develop offensive capabilities, then Chytil between kreider and Buchnevich, Kravtsov or Kakko is the more logical choice.

Personally, I think we are still in the building/construction phase and havi g Chytil playing with offensive players helped this team more so on the longterm.

Panarin-Mika-Kaako
Kreider-Chytil-Buchnevich
Lemieux-Howden-Kravtsov
McKegg-Lias-Fast

I see no room for Namestnikov or Strome. and eventually Kreider

Reactions: Armchair GM

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Two Proposals:

1) Kreider and Smith to the Ducks for Sam Steel and a third rounder

2) Kreider and Staal (waives to rejoin his brother) to the Wild for Jordan Greenway and Luke Kunin

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
so this something I've never noticed before...looking at capfriendly, charlie mcavoy isn't listed as a RFA. he is listed as a 10.2(c) which references the section of the cba. because he has only accrued 2 seasons he is not eligible to be a RFA which means he can't be offer sheeted...bruins burned his 1st season by playing him in the playoffs after he left school but he didn't play enough games for it to count as a pro season.

the CBA specifically says 3 accrued seasons...not sure though how it effects guys that burn a year in juniors or europe or guys that can only sign 2 or 1 year entry level deals

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad