Speculation: Roster Building LX: The Return of Cap(tain) Crunch aka LB Bus Stop Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I get the feeling the Rangers will move Kreider for a salary dump with little return.

Big picture
- Fox was on the cheap
- Kappo was luck and on the cheap
- Lemieux and Trouba for Hayes was on the cheap
- Panarin was a bit cheaper than it could have been

I think Kreider is the one we give away on the cheap
Nope.

Reactions: haveandare

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Re: The Brooks Article

1. Efforts to move Kreider haven’t been half-hearted, they just haven’t been keen to settle for less than what they want at this point.

2. The preference is still to avoid buyouts. Whether that is a realistic possibility remains to be seen.

3. Don’t think for a moment that there’s not at least some grumbling by ownership that the Rangers have 3 buyout candidates on defense and more than $7 million on a pair of depth forwards who are still on the roster. All told, the Rangers have more than $20 million on the books that they wouldn’t mind finding a solution for.

4. Brooks job is reflective of the conundrum a lot of newspapers are in these days. They need to keep people clicking, and so that means a lot of columns and opinions. The downside is that it blurs the line with reporting and that seldom works out well over the long haul. That’s why papers traditionally had columnists and reporters, and a fairly clean separation of the two. As that line became blurred, it complicates matters.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I'd rather gamble and take a little less for Kreider now.
1. More than likely he misses time this season (which lowers his value)
2. If we are winning and hold on to him to make the playoffs we lose him for nothing
Can't see both Gorton and Quinn agreeing to trade him at the deadline if the team is pushing

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
We need to clear $5m and a Smith buyout doesn’t get us there without other moves. If the trade market for Names really isn’t there, it comes down to selling Kreider for less than market value, or buying out Shatty. I’d go with the buyout every time. We can absolutely make the cap work next year with his dead money, especially with the influx of young talent and ELCs.

If Fox isn’t ready then call up an LD and play Smith on his off side. It doesn’t matter because we aren’t looking to win this year. The team has to look 2-5 years down the road, this year and next year are just planning for that future.

Another reason to sell Kreider at the deadline for futures that might not be ready for 3-4 years. Get a mid-late 2020 1st rounder at the deadline. He can come in on an ELC at the same time Kakko needs to be paid. Attaching a bad contract to Kreider is a short term fix and is way less attractive than a Shatty buyout, even considering the dead cap.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Same. I'm really lost here. Fox is hardly a sure thing and can easily spend some of the season marinating in the AHL. We can try to find a buyer for Shattenkirk.

Shattenkirk at least has hopes of turning around his play to garner some value to flip at the deadline. Staal is complete trash and there is no hope of him becoming a serviceable player.

If the Rangers buy out Shattenkirk, their opinion on Fox is the difference here. I personally think he is a sure thing. I’d go as far to say he’s one of the most NHL-ready prospects in the game, ahead of even Kakko and Kravtsov in terms or readiness.

My preference remains buying out Smith and trading Kreider. I believe there are only a few hours left to do the former.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If the Rangers buy out Shattenkirk, their opinion on Fox is the difference here. I personally think he is a sure thing. I’d go as far to say he’s one of the most NHL-ready prospects in the game, ahead of even Kakko and Kravtsov in terms or readiness.

My preference remains buying out Smith and trading Kreider. I believe there are only a few hours left to do the former.
Ahead of Kakko and Kravtsov in terms of readiness? Ehhhhhh. They have to adjust to NA, but they've both been playing to great success against men in the third- or fourth-best professional league and the second-best professional league in the world. Fox has been dominant in the NCAA, but that's a far cry from what Kakko and Kravtsov were doing.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Shattenkirk was in bad shape going into his first Rangers season? I wasn't aware of that. Is there corroboration for that @RangerBoy ?

Take it for what it is worth, my memory could be wrong, but I am fairly certain that Maloney reported that both Ziba and Shatty had shown up in pretty bad shape that year.

Reactions: egelband

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
Re: The Brooks Article

1. Efforts to move Kreider haven’t been half-hearted, they just haven’t been keen to settle for less than what they want at this point.

2. The preference is still to avoid buyouts. Whether that is a realistic possibility remains to be seen.

3. Don’t think for a moment that there’s not at least some grumbling by ownership that the Rangers have 3 buyout candidates on defense and more than $7 million on a pair of depth forwards who are still on the roster. All told, the Rangers have more than $20 million on the books that they wouldn’t mind finding a solution for.

4. Brooks job is reflective of the conundrum a lot of newspapers are in these days. They need to keep people clicking, and so that means a lot of columns and opinions. The downside is that it blurs the line with reporting and that seldom works out well over the long haul. That’s why papers traditionally had columnists and reporters, and a fairly clean separation of the two. As that line became blurred, it complicates I matters.

Death, Taxes, Edge with a well thought out and reasonable explanation for a confluence of events. Never change sir.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Brooks' premise is that clearing out Shattenkirk alone this season would be enough to get them under. Assuming DeAngelo and Lemieux sign what their QO's were, that gives them about $1.7 million in space with 13 F, 6 D, and 2 G. I've got Beleskey, McKegg, and Nieves all sent down and the following lineup.

Panarin - Mika - Kakko
Kreider - Chytil - Buch
Namestnikov - Lias - Kravtsov
Strome - Howden - Fast
Lemieux

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - DeAngelo
Smith - Fox

Henrik
Georgiev

It looks like Kakko didn't get the full amount of bonuses in his contract as CapFriendly shows it being as $2.65 mil in bonuses when the max is $2.85. I don't know whether the 200K got sliced off the type A, type B, or both. For now, I'm just operating under the assumption he can nail down the full $850K in type A as the criteria outlined is more than achievable if he hits the ground running and gets the ice time we expect him to get. The type B bonuses would take one hell of a rookie season to get.

Kratsov is allocated $850K in bonuses so it looks like the type B bonuses weren't included in his contract. I don't think he'll be hitting the type A but you never really know I guess. It's not unfathomable he hits 20 goals or 35 assists with the right linemates and PP time.

So the Rangers would be operating at $1.7 million in cap to operate the team. Factor in having space to manage the team during the season, the fact they don't have a 7th D on the team I have outlined, and building in cushion for the performance bonuses (don't forget Fox has performance bonuses too though it's unlikely he hits them and Chytil and Andersson also have varying amounts of performance bonuses in their deals) and $1.7 million sure doesn't seem like a lot of space to me by just buying out Shattenkirk. Sure, they could roll over the bonuses but you just bought out one of your highest cap hits who was probably your most tradable asset next offseason too and are carrying nearly his entire cap hit. The Rangers currently have $65ish million in cap expenditures for next season on 15 players. Georgiev, Kreider, Namestnikov, Strome, Fast, Lemieux, DeAngelo and Nieves are all either UFA or RFA. I wouldn't expect the cap to go up again much next season either. Buying out Shattenkirk gets them under but to me, they still have to make one other move to give them ample space even if it's something small like dumping Beleskey somewhere to say the 875K.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
I get the feeling the Rangers will move Kreider for a salary dump with little return.

Big picture
- Fox was on the cheap
- Kappo was luck and on the cheap
- Lemieux and Trouba for Hayes was on the cheap
- Panarin was a bit cheaper than it could have been

I think Kreider is the one we give away on the cheap
No chance

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
He'll be moved for market value now, or during the season. Assuming he'll be moved for scraps is asinine.

and what’s market value? The return on the McDonough trade or return on the Hayes trade in full?

Oh buy out Shatty or Staal or Smith and then trade Kreider?

I’m hopeful for a great return on Kreider yet not sold a haul is a certainty being this org has a cap issue with both multiple RFA to resign and overpriced vets it doesn’t appear anybody wants.

Something has to give.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Won't buying out Shatty really not do anything for our cap situation next year? Wouldn't we still have to buy out Staal or Smith anyway? Maybe I missed something.
We don't have a cap situation next year, only this year. If shattenkirk is bought out, for the 20-21 season it would be as if he was still on the roster, except we save like 600k against the cap which we can use on one of our many ELCs to replace him instead. We don't have any players to resign next year so after all is said and done we will have about 11m in cap space to sign 2 forwards.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Hank (certainly not) and Staal (doubtful) won't be bought out... I'd be on board with Staal and Smith being bought out before Kirk. THAT massive hit next season is scary.

We would have to sign ADA and Lemieux next yr

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Buying out Shattenkirk frees up $5,166,667 this season.

One of the other moves doesn't come close to that number.

Sending a player to the AHL sees the Rangers save just $1,075,000 off the cap number.

The trade market is stagnant. So many teams are trying to move players and money. The Smith for Anisimov and Lucic for Neal trades were money for money. The Rangers are looking to shed money. If you look at Capfriendly, so many teams are pressed up against the cap with key players to re-sign.

Everyone is focused on Shattenkirk buyout implications next season and not this season. The Rangers to free up a lot of money. They aren't playing with the same 18 skaters all season. Shattenkirk is the quickest and easiest way to clear that money instead of making 2 or 3 moves. Some of those moves aren't easy to make right now. The Rangers have spent the entire summer trying to make those moves.

Shattenkirk was a disaster from day one. He reported to camp in bad shape. He hurt his knee in camp. He ended up having major surgery on that knee. Quinn had more confidence in ADA and Pionk than Shattenkirk. The Rangers have added Trouba and Fox. Where is the opportunity for Shattenkirk and how healthy is his knee? His mobility was an issue before the Rangers signed him. He hurt his knee and he looked awful. There were times last season where he looked immobile out there.

I've been banging this drum for weeks since the Panarin signing. Shattenkirk makes for a clean, single move that gives us cap compliance without forcing us to make a less than ideal trade with one of our other assets. We save 5.2m in cap space this year. Next year a Shattenkirk buyout has a big caphit of 6m, but between all of the forwards expiring and the Girardi buyout decreasing by 2.5m we will gain roughly 15m in cap space. We have 11 F and 7D+(whatever prospects we call up) under contract next year. The only extension we need to sign that wont be near league minimum would be Georgiev, and he would likely get a bridge deal 2-3m x 2 years a la Grubauer, Hellebuyck, Rittich. So that leaves around 11m to sign 2 forwards to fill out the roster, assuming no players are acquired via trade. Besides, if Shattenkirk is gonna be on the roster at the 7D then whats the difference if he is bought out or not?

All this commotion about Shattenkirk's big scary buyout hit next season is much ado about nothing. We will have more cap space than we know what to do with next year, we just need to make it through this offseason and buying out Shattenkirk is by far the simplest way to do so.

RyutinTyutin

May 3, 2007
NY
Pardon if I have missed it, as I am a lurker, but has anyone noticed how team friendly a buyout of Strome would be? Buyout Strome and Namestnikov, bury Smith and Beleskey, problem solved.

Reactions: Ola

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Pardon if I have missed it, as I am a lurker, but has anyone noticed how team friendly a buyout of Strome would be? Buyout Strome and Namestnikov, bury Smith and Beleskey, problem solved.

Buyout's in the post arbitration period need a minimum caphit of 3.5m, so Strome is not eligible. Besides, he could easily be traded for a mid round pick if thats who they wanted to part with.

Reactions: Ola and Kupo

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I've been banging this drum for weeks since the Panarin signing. Shattenkirk makes for a clean, single move that gives us cap compliance without forcing us to make a less than ideal trade with one of our other assets. We save 5.2m in cap space this year. Next year a Shattenkirk buyout has a big caphit of 6m, but between all of the forwards expiring and the Girardi buyout decreasing by 2.5m we will gain roughly 15m in cap space. We have 11 F and 7D+(whatever prospects we call up) under contract next year. The only extension we need to sign that wont be near league minimum would be Georgiev, and he would likely get a bridge deal 2-3m x 2 years a la Grubauer, Hellebuyck, Rittich. So that leaves around 11m to sign 2 forwards to fill out the roster, assuming no players are acquired via trade. Besides, if Shattenkirk is gonna be on the roster at the 7D then whats the difference if he is bought out or not?

All this commotion about Shattenkirk's big scary buyout hit next season is much ado about nothing. We will have more cap space than we know what to do with next year, we just need to make it through this offseason and buying out Shattenkirk is by far the simplest way to do so.

I believe the issue that everyone has with buying out shatty is that we believe that if he can have a solid first half of the season he can be traded for something. Smith and Staal dont and won't

Reactions: egelband

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I believe the issue that everyone has with buying out shatty is that we believe that if he can have a solid first half of the season he can be traded for something. Smith and Staal dont and won't

While I agree that Shattenkirk has the propensity to bounce back if he is healthy and on top of his game, it would be a big gamble at the cost of moving Kreider or Namestnikov for a discounted price. Even if he does bounce back this season, whats the most we could get for Shattenkirk at 50%? Maybe a 3rd?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Probably alone in this but I’d rather keep Kreider and let him walk than give him away for an underwhelming package.

If we’re getting like, Jeff Skinner offers, **** it.

Why would you rather get nothing, than something? I don't understand the logic in that.

Lets say the best offer we can get is a second round and third round pick ..underwhelming yes, but you would rather get nothing than that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca