Confirmed with Link: Romanov signs three year ELC

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Habs used to have a ton of Russians in the roster but as soon as Julien became the HC Markov, Radulov, Sergachev, Emelin all gone, and Galchenyuk and Scherbak the year later so it's easy to see the narrative. It can't be that black and white though, Kovy seemed to enjoy his short tenure under Julien for example. I'm so excited by these news, Romanov is a beast.

- Radulov was on the top line.
- Markov was on the top pair.
- Emelin was in the top-4.
- Kovalchuk was in the top-6.

Radulov and Markov leaving were not Julien wanting them out. Bergevin was negotiating with both to keep them. We know how that ended up, but that had nothing to do with Julien.

Emelin was lost to expansion draft. At that time, Emelin and Plekanec were both overpaid for what they were bringing to the table. Bergevin exposed both of them to the draft hoping one would be taken and get one of those two heavy contracts off the books. Vegas chose Emelin. So again, nothing to do with Julien.

Galchenyuk was on his way to being something special right when he hurt is knee in that collision with Kopitar. After that, it wasn't just Julien who didn't trust him. Therrien didn't. Tocchet didn't in Arizona. And it wasn't long before he fell lower in the line-up in Pittsburgh to the point Rutherford openly admitted that he was looking to trade him and then moved him to Minnesota. I think that has more to do with the player than it does Julien and Russians.

We also saw how Scherbak panned out. It's unfortunate as his development wasn't properly managed. But when he played under Julien, he wasn't forcing the coach's hand. And he went to LA and nothing became of that. Even in the KHL, he was a disappointment.

So I really don't see anything that justifies the Julien-doesn't-like-Russians narrative.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Radulov and Markov leaving were not Julien wanting them out. Bergevin was negotiating with both to keep them. We know how that ended up, but that had nothing to do with Julien.

Emelin was lost to expansion draft. At that time, Emelin and Plekanec were both overpaid for what they were bringing to the table. Bergevin exposed both of them to the draft hoping one would be taken and get one of those two heavy contracts off the books. Vegas chose Emelin. So again, nothing to do with Julien.

Galchenyuk was on his way to being something special right when he hurt is knee in that collision with Kopitar. After that, it wasn't just Julien who didn't trust him. Therrien didn't. Tocchet didn't in Arizona. And it wasn't long before he fell lower in the line-up in Pittsburgh to the point Rutherford openly admitted that he was looking to trade him and then moved him to Minnesota. I think that has more to do with the player than it does Julien and Russians.

We also saw how Scherbak panned out. It's unfortunate as his development wasn't properly managed. But when he played under Julien, he wasn't forcing the coach's hand. And he went to LA and nothing became of that. Even in the KHL, he was a disappointment.

So I really don't see anything that justifies the Julien-doesn't-like-Russians narrative.

Unless you want to twist that Julien not learning to speak Russin speaks highly of his disdain for Russians, I also don't see any anti-Russian evidence surrounding Julien.

I'm not particularly fond of the coach but, this makes little sense as a theory.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Unless you want to twist that Julien not learning to speak Russin speaks highly of his disdain for Russians, I also don't see any anti-Russian evidence surrounding Julien.

I'm not particularly fond of the coach but, this makes little sense as a theory.

I don't blame anyone who doesn't like his coaching style or his game plan and all of that. But there are folks who have this false idea of Julien not liking Russians. Especially when there is proof that he's played Russians in key positions when he was coaching.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Well like I said, it's not black and white "Julien hates Russians". That would be ridiculous. I'm just saying it's quite uncanny how the Habs were one of the most Russian teams in the league and all of a sudden they're all gone. In a superficial fashion it's easy to see the narrative.

Reactions: Forum93

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What kind of offensive production we can dream of Romanov in is prime?

It's hard to say at this point as his play in the KHL doesn't leave much to go off since his rookie year they really did not do him any favors by at times having way too long in between shifts, with different partners and playing one shift at LD and the next at RD at times. This year he seemed to get more consistent shifts and at RD but still didn't get much TOI.

So the only thing we have to really go off in the WJC's and we have seen others do well there only to struggle in the NHL. Collberg, Kristo, Leblanc, Kostitsyn's, and maybe Poehling who last summer fans were hyping him up like crazy despite a few of us saying that they were overrating him due to his WJC's.

With Romanov it's much tougher to say, I don't think he will ever mistaken for Markov but I do think he's going to a very good NHLer, someone that does most things well, a very complete 2 way blueliner that brings a solid physical game and with his great skating/mobility and smarts he's 100% for sure going to be a fan favorite as i have no doubt of that. I just don't know how good the offense will be. In his prime, I don't know if he will be a consistent 10-20 pts, 20-30 pts, 30-40 pts. I would wait and see how next year goes, it should give us a better idea of what he brings.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It's hard to say at this point as his play in the KHL doesn't leave much to go off since his rookie year they really did not do him any favors by at times having way too long in between shifts, with different partners and playing one shift at LD and the next at RD at times. This year he seemed to get more consistent shifts and at RD but still didn't get much TOI.

So the only thing we have to really go off in the WJC's and we have seen others do well there only to struggle in the NHL. Collberg, Kristo, Leblanc, Kostitsyn's, and maybe Poehling who last summer fans were hyping him up like crazy despite a few of us saying that they were overrating him due to his WJC's.

With Romanov it's much tougher to say, I don't think he will ever mistaken for Markov but I do think he's going to a very good NHLer, someone that does most things well, a very complete 2 way blueliner that brings a solid physical game and with his great skating/mobility and smarts he's 100% for sure going to be a fan favorite as i have no doubt of that. I just don't know how good the offense will be. In his prime, I don't know if he will be a consistent 10-20 pts, 20-30 pts, 30-40 pts. I would wait and see how next year goes, it should give us a better idea of what he brings.

A good skater that passes well and supports the rush in a dynamic fashion? Should be good for the transition game and help provide offense on a speed-oriented game plan. He might not score 10 goals but, he might get a helluva lot more assists than we think.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
A good skater that passes well and supports the rush in a dynamic fashion? Should be good for the transition game and help provide offense on a speed-oriented game plan. He might not score 10 goals but, he might get a helluva lot more assists than we think.

He’s produced very well at the international stage in prominent ice time. People are hung up on the fact he doesn’t have a lot of points in the KHL playing a limited role, in a league that is also tough for young defensemen to put points up in.

He’s more offensively gifted than most people are giving him credit for.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

Great post! To add to that, Galchenyuk isn't even Russian. He was born in the US and 3/4 of his life has been lived outside Russia. Every hockey team he has played for since he was 15 years old (from 2009 to 2020) has been in North America. He has also represented USA in international tournaments.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
He’s produced very well at the international stage in prominent ice time. People are hung up on the fact he doesn’t have a lot of points in the KHL playing a limited role, in a league that is also tough for young defensemen to put points up in.

He’s more offensively gifted than most people are giving him credit for.
Like most players, it will depend on the type of system the team runs and the quality of players he'll play alongside.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

Agreed... but this organization will do anything, even miss the playoffs, for French players. Seriously...

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Scott Wheeler published on article on him. Praises his mobility (mentions how you'll rarely ever see Romanov get caught flatfooted), how proactive he is instead of puck watching, his anticipation of plays. He does say that his physicality has been overstated and that he could be more physical. Constantly has his head up with helps for breakouts. There's no nervousness in his game which is surprising for his age. He's got a good grasp on when to balance poise and pressure. Another flaw, which has been stated before, is that he lacks a dynamic quality to his offensive game. Expects him to be a second pair defenseman who can play on both special teams' 2nd units.

Reactions: Vachon23

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
What's his potential?

Lowest: Emelin with an offensive touch?
Highest: Markov with a bit of Emelin in him? (That would be amazing)

How would you compare the new savior of the franchise?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
what is this guy’s scouting report? what does he top out as? who’s his best comparison? I see a lot of high praise and hype train action and wanted to know more about him! there isn’t much info out on him.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
What's his potential?

Lowest: Emelin with an offensive touch?
Highest: Markov with a bit of Emelin in him? (That would be amazing)

How would you compare the new savior of the franchise?
I think a Markov level is completely unrealistic. Good defensively, maybe 30 points a season. Ekholm, Kronwall style player maybe. Reliable in his own end and can contribute offensively at times.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I never watched him in Russia, but I loved how implicated he was when playing against players his own age. He was constantly involved, and I love his skating. The way he moves, along with the physical dimension, and energy reminds me a bit of Duncan Keith.

Now I'm not saying he will be a hall of famer like Keith, I'm simply saying his playing style is reminiscent.

He seems to have the drive to continually get better. His package seems like it should be a safe bet to be a 2nd pairing guy, maybe more, but the lack of numbers on the senior team can't be ignored.

Why was he not played as much? Is his team loaded? Is this how they simply prefer to develop their young talent? Were they holding his ice time hostage in an attempt to sign him long term? Were they simply not interested in developing him because they knew he was leaving for NHL regardless?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad