Confirmed with Link: Romanov signs three year ELC

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I agree. I am quite old and a big Bowie fan and I translated the Ziggy Stardust album using a gramophone (yes that old) and wrote down all the lyrics by moving the needle back and forth and then using an English lexicon (the album got pretty scratchy). I also subscribed to a weekly English music paper. That helped me immensely later in life. I got an A in English in school or rather the equivalent 5 since we had numerical grades.
I did the same for more than 1000 songs , but not for the lyrics ; It was to learn how to play them on my guitar . I never had the idea to listen to the lyrics :laugh:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
NME, New Musical Express. It looked like a regular newspaper, black and white.

Right. I thought NME was later but probably assumed you’re older. :D

Not that I was reading either, just a slight music nerd.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Sorry he answered already, but if ever the NHL goes with a 24 teams playoffs setup, Is Romanov allowed to play?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Well like I said, it's not black and white "Julien hates Russians". That would be ridiculous. I'm just saying it's quite uncanny how the Habs were one of the most Russian teams in the league and all of a sudden they're all gone. In a superficial fashion it's easy to see the narrative.
It is black and white actually - when he was the coach in Boston there was practically no Russians on top roles - Khudobin and Khokhlachev were the only ones to even hit the ice in years.
As soon as he got in Montreal, the Russian departure began.
He’s definitely not fond of Russian players for whatever reason.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
It is black and white actually - when he was the coach in Boston there was practically no Russians on top roles - Khudobin and Khokhlachev were the only ones to even hit the ice in years.

No it isn't.

Reactions: MasterD

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I dunno, he definitely didn't seem adverse to using markov in either his first or 2nd stint, or kovalchuk for that matter.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Do you really want an answer R?

You ain't gonna like it.

We can have a difference of opinion and I'm good with that. Your answer is yours to own. I don't profess to have the absolute truth, I just call 'em as I see 'em. Hope he proves me wrong since if he does, he's only helping the team. So it's really nothing personal.

Reactions: jaffy27

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We can have a difference of opinion and I'm good with that. Your answer is yours to own. I don't profess to have the absolute truth, I just call 'em as I see 'em. Hope he proves me wrong since if he does, he's only helping the team. So it's really nothing personal.

Mete will turn 22 in 4 weeks from now.

That said, click on this website

NHL Lines Advanced Stats

Select;montreal canadiens;defensive lines only;goals;2018-2019 (make sure you select "goals" and not "expected goals")

Then do the same for 2019-2020

Really pay attention to TOI and the last two collumns.

Tell me the results are anywhere close.

Mete despite his small stature and weak shot (for now) is a bonafide future top 4. Just look at his sophomore season. It's crazy how underrated he is.

No letfhander has come close to match him alongside Weber.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Mete will turn 22 in 4 weeks from now.

That said, click on this website

NHL Lines Advanced Stats

Select;montreal canadiens;defensive lines only;goals;2018-2019 (make sure you select "goals" and not "expected goals")

Then do the same for 2019-2020

Really pay attention to TOI and the last two collumns.

Tell me the results are anywhere close.

Mete despite his small stature and weak shot (for now) is a bonafide future top 4. Just look at his sophomore season. It's crazy how underrated he is.

No letfhander has come close to match him alongside Weber.

A lot of potential in Mete.

He needs to continue to get stronger as nd work on his biard battles, as well as the precision of his passing. He should also be Ble to simultaneously work on what he does in the offensive zone with the odd man rushed he single handidly creates.

No way I give up on him. His dpeed sllows him to get to places few in the league can. But he does need to polish and or develop various aspects of his game.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Why does Bergevin keep signing Russians now if he knows Julien hates them? It's simply just petty to think that.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Yet, nothing about Julien and Russians leaked to the media AFAIK. This includes retired players (Markov) or players that are most likely never coming back to the NHL (Khokhlachev ), so they could have spoken without repercussion. If he was a racist, something would have come out.

From 2004 to 2016, Boston drafted only 3 Russians (Alexandrov and Chudinov, who never made it to the NHL, and Khokhlachev ), so it's not that surprising he barely coached Russians in Boston.

As for Montreal, it's been covered by others what happened.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
A lot of potential in Mete.

He needs to continue to get stronger as nd work on his biard battles, as well as the precision of his passing. He should also be Ble to simultaneously work on what he does in the offensive zone with the odd man rushed he single handidly creates.

No way I give up on him. His dpeed sllows him to get to places few in the league can. But he does need to polish and or develop various aspects of his game.

Yeah, if he grows 6 inches and gains around 30 pounds, plus learns how to pass and shoot, he'll be a force to be reckoned with. Until then, watching him skate like a baby gazelle around the ice is cute, though.

Reactions: MasterD

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
So Romanov is somewhat of a teen idol. My teenage daughter thought he was "dreamy" but too intimidated to ask for an autograph. He was absolutely hounded by young lady-fans in the Czech Republic. It was hilarious. He is not an arrogant kid, and I think he'll be a huge fan favorite.

Reactions: dralaf and Redux91

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I can’t wait for KK to shut up the people that call him a bust as a teenager.

It’s honestly a toss up. He could shut them up. He could also just as likely prove them right. He’s a giant question mark. I did however like that they sent him down to try and build him up the proper way.

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
Why does Bergevin keep signing Russians now if he knows Julien hates them? It's simply just petty to think that.

I think the main goal is having other Russian speaking players in the system to help Romanov's transition.

Having both Arsen Alphabet and Demchenko in Laval/Montreal/Brossard. Will only be beneficial to Romanov's level of comfortability and more importantly, interest in staying in North America.

Having either/other marginal prospects that speak other languages is obviously secondary. A valid sacrifice/compromise.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

And there is alote of Russian in Boston right know ...

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Yet, nothing about Julien and Russians leaked to the media AFAIK. This includes retired players (Markov) or players that are most likely never coming back to the NHL (Khokhlachev ), so they could have spoken without repercussion. If he was a racist, something would have come out.

From 2004 to 2016, Boston drafted only 3 Russians (Alexandrov and Chudinov, who never made it to the NHL, and Khokhlachev ), so it's not that surprising he barely coached Russians in Boston.

As for Montreal, it's been covered by others what happened.

I seem to recall kovalev and julien have some sort of long term dispute. I've been hesitant to bring it up because I can't find a link to back it up.

And in kovalev's case, even if this is true, it doesn't necessarily mean julien has a thing against Russians, because I would think kovalev has made a few coaches unhappy during his career.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I seem to recall kovalev and julien have some sort of long term dispute. I've been hesitant to bring it up because I can't find a link to back it up.

And in kovalev's case, even if this is true, it doesn't necessarily mean julien has a thing against Russians, because I would think kovalev has made a few coaches unhappy during his career.

From Wikipedia:
In 2007, Kovalev sparked controversy when he allegedly criticized his team, coaching staff and the Montreal media in an interview with a Russian reporter in his native language. Though the reporter who conducted the interview later rescinded Kovalev's quotes, and the tape she used never surfaced, a majority of the fans and members of the media believe the criticism to have actually happened.[citation neede"

While I certainly dont condone a player trashing his team in the media.. I always felt like Kovy had a point lol...

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
From Wikipedia:
In 2007, Kovalev sparked controversy when he allegedly criticized his team, coaching staff and the Montreal media in an interview with a Russian reporter in his native language. Though the reporter who conducted the interview later rescinded Kovalev's quotes, and the tape she used never surfaced, a majority of the fans and members of the media believe the criticism to have actually happened.[citation neede"

While I certainly dont condone a player trashing his team in the media.. I always felt like Kovy had a point lol...

But the coach was Carbonneau not Julien

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino