Confirmed with Link: Romanov signs three year ELC

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Mete is back to form of his two previous seasons, it'd be a mistake to put chiarot there. Mete in his first two seasons was miles ahead defensively and while Chiarot is better offensively, it's negligible compared to the difference defensively. Mete has been by far Weber's best partner over the last 3 years and by a fair margin.

I'd like a first pairing D to actually know where the net is. Pass on Mete as anything more than a third pairing D. There is an unfilled hole on Weber's left and nothing has happened to change that.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I won't get my hopes up on those anecdotal work ethic stories.

Just remember how Galchenyuk was at the gym while he was in Pittsburgh for the week of his draft and how some were impressed by that.

True...We were all impressed by Galchenyuk. He was by all accounts in great shape....physically. His problem was and still is that he's a train wreck mentally.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Mete puts on a 5-8 lbs of muscle and improves his shot this summer, while still keeping his mobility intact or even improving it, and perhaps does it again the following summer, ...

How many more years are we going to be spinning the same qualifiers about Mete?

2pUJlYR.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wasn't drawing a comparison between Galchenyuk and Romanov.

I was merely pointing out that both did the anecdotal work ethic move while there was attention on them. I just meant to say that it's a cute story but shouldn't be used to draw any particular conclusions.

Of course, Galchenyuk has well-known issues. They weren't at all connected to a gym stunt or to Romanov -- no one is suggesting that.

Why do people extrapolate things that a particular context is not meant to evoke? Standard HF fare.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I wasn't drawing a comparison between Galchenyuk and Romanov.

I was merely pointing out that both did the anecdotal work ethic move while there was attention on them. I just meant to say that it's a cute story but shouldn't be used to draw any particular conclusions.

Of course, Galchenyuk has well-known issues. They weren't at all connected to a gym stunt or to Romanov -- no one is suggesting that.

Why do people extrapolate things that a particular context is not meant to evoke? Standard HF fare.
Being realistic is often perceived as being negative. It takes most good young defencemen coming into this league 2-3 years to develop a good all-around game. Not every one of them is Cale Makar, this kid will be no exception. Moving a long way from his native land and having to adjust to living in the pressure cooker that is Montreal and learning to play on smaller NHL ice, it will take time, let us hope that management doesn't expect perfection.

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
Were they holding his ice time hostage in an attempt to sign him long term?
Makes no sense. At all.
Were they simply not interested in developing him because they knew he was leaving for NHL regardless?
They were probably not interested in developing him indeed, but if he was so head and shoulder above the others D on that team they wouldve played him more.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Being realistic is often perceived as being negative. It takes most good young defencemen coming into this league 2-3 years to develop a good all-around game. Not every one of them is Cale Makar, this kid will be no exception. Moving a long way from his native land and having to adjust to living in the pressure cooker that is Montreal and learning to play on smaller NHL ice, it will take time, let us hope that management doesn't expect perfection.

But he skated at Place Bell on his own last year. He had the whole ice to himself. It must mean something. Because internets.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Agreed... but this organization will do anything, even miss the playoffs, for French players. Seriously...
Yeah... half of the team roster are just there because they are French players . Seriously...

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Well, one of the most important things when you move to a new country is to learn the language. He has definitely put in an effort already to do that, that is a good sign. I noticed he was called Alex, I believe the nick name for Alexander in Russian is Sasha and it sounds better than Alex. After French and the Latin languages, Russian is my favorite language. My aunt who was married to a Russian (never met him, he died in a car crash in Finland) taught me a Russian song that I used to bring forth to impress the girls. :)

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Well, one of the most important things when you move to a new country is to learn the language. He has definitely put in an effort already to do that, that is a good sign. I noticed he was called Alex, I believe the nick name for Alexander in Russian is Sasha and it sounds better than Alex. After French and the Latin languages, Russian is my favorite language. My aunt who was married to a Russian (never met him, he died in a car crash in Finland) taught me a Russian song that I used to bring forth to impress the girls. :)

Leaning a language is easy... Shoot da puck, play ard, etc... I found the best way to learn language is through music. Singing along and deciphering the lyrics helped me a lot. And nowadays you don't even need to buy a CD to a booklet with lyrics...

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Leaning a language is easy... Shoot da puck, play ard, etc... I found the best way to learn language is through music. Singing along and deciphering the lyrics helped me a lot. And nowadays you don't even need to buy a CD to a booklet with lyrics...

I agree. I am quite old and a big Bowie fan and I translated the Ziggy Stardust album using a gramophone (yes that old) and wrote down all the lyrics by moving the needle back and forth and then using an English lexicon (the album got pretty scratchy). I also subscribed to a weekly English music paper. That helped me immensely later in life. I got an A in English in school or rather the equivalent 5 since we had numerical grades.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
I agree. I am quite old and a big Bowie fan and I translated the Ziggy Stardust album using a gramophone (yes that old) and wrote down all the lyrics by moving the needle back and forth and then using an English lexicon (the album got pretty scratchy). I also subscribed to a weekly English music paper. That helped me immensely later in life. I got an A in English in school or rather the equivalent 5 since we had numerical grades.

Love this story!

I’m currently rocking a David Bowie wallet I found at a shop in Capital Hill last time I was in Seattle. It’s a photo from the Low era and actually really nice leather and stitching. He has so many great albums but Low is not only my favourite Bowie album, but one of my favourite albums of all time. But there’s a Bowie album for every mood you’re in.

Was the magazine Sounds?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Love this story!

I’m currently rocking a David Bowie wallet I found at a shop in Capital Hill last time I was in Seattle. It’s a photo from the Low era and actually really nice leather and stitching. He has so many great albums but Low is not only my favourite Bowie album, but one of my favourite albums of all time. But there’s a Bowie album for every mood you’re in.

Was the magazine Sounds?

NME, New Musical Express. It looked like a regular newspaper, black and white.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3